Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:12 PM

36 posts, read 47,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Really? Because I did the exact same search out of curiosity, and this was the first hit:

'We have the highest grass pollen counts in the world in Eugene' | KVAL
Yes, really...

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/ss/s...ring-allergies

Eugene, no where to be found on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 04:56 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Both things can be true - Eugene can have the highest grass pollen counts yet not be on a list of "worst places" for allergies. It just means that more people have problems with trees and shrubs than with grass pollen.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickels View Post
Yes, really...

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/ss/s...ring-allergies

Eugene, no where to be found on the list.
Search engine results vary per individual for a variety of reasons. I used the exact same words you did (like the other poster, I also got a lot of hits about the homeless.).

Anyway, Eugene is nonetheless one of the worst places to be for those with certain types of pollen allergies.

7 Reasons Google Search Results Vary Dramatically

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-20-2017 at 06:43 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 06:00 PM

36 posts, read 47,742 times
I have been researching this topic today. My thoughts on the subject are, Eugene does have a high amount of grass pollen but very few people suffer allergic reactions to grass pollen. Eugene has a very high annual rain fall amount, which washes the pollen out of the air. So for those thinking of moving to Eugene I would not let the "highest grass pollen in the world" quote scare you from making the move.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,800 times
I really like living in Portland and have been here 4 years now. Yes, there are a lot of homeless but for me the tourists are even worse. Regardless, I feel safe enough but then I don't go out after dark alone.
I live downtown and don't have a car so I either walk or take the streetcar.
Portland feels very small city to me. Within walking distance of my apt is PSU, where seniors can audit classes for free, the art museum, theatre, a large Safeway, the central library, Target, and Pioneer Square.
For doctor visits, I take the streetcar to OHSU Medical Center -- about a 20 min ride.
However, if I had young kids I would not live downtown.
For the religious, there seems to be about every Christian denomination downtown.
And then there are the coffee shops everywhere and Powell's Bookstore is in the same area.
Also, a park with benches and places for kids to play that runs from downtown to the Pearl. The City is fairly good at keeping the homeless out of the park. Plus I think the homeless like to stay up in the shopping areas so they can panhandle.
Oh yeah, darn near everyone has a dog.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:11 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,809 times
How can you tell the tourists, and what makes them even worse than the homeless?

Last edited by wolfdog; 12-22-2017 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-23-2017, 07:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
Quote:
How can you tell the tourists?
The tourists don't defecate on the sidewalks, sleep in doorways, aggressively panhandle and scare people, steal things from peoples yards, leave drug needles all over the place, and live in tent cities full of trash and human waste.

Plus they dress better, don't ride little stolen BMX bikes pulling a "tweaker trailer" full of ill gotten goods and pop cans, have money to spend helping Portland's economy, and while they can be clueless, at least its obvious right off the bat to most of us that they are tourists.

How's that?

Do you really have to ask that question?

Old 12-23-2017, 10:06 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,809 times
True. So why are they worse than the homeless, which was what he said?
Read my WHOLE sentence.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:28 AM

731 posts, read 678,193 times
Oh, you mean the tourists who actually bring money with them to spend in Portland instead of sponging off people to fund their lifestyle choices?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:13 AM

24 posts, read 66,126 times
To the person who said I dont know the difference between fiction and non fiction... once you have a few best selling books we can get into a real conversation. But seems like you are just one of those people that hates themselves and likes to hate on others to feel better about their own life. Hope you find some joy!

To the person that asked why I mentioned that I have tattoos. I would think this is pretty obvious for anyone who has ever walked around Portland. Its very very tattooed. I fit right in with the look of the city, even though I consider myself more conservative than liberial, tattoos aside. Did me mentioning I have tattoos offend you in some way or why did ask that question??

Im not worried about pollen. I dont have outdoor allergies. Its a non issue for me.

Someone mentioned that no such place exist with virtually no crime and homeless but thats not really true. Where I live now its totally safe to walk just about anywhere late at night, you will never witness crime, very very small amount of homeless that is visible (maybe if you actually go to shelters looking for homeless people). If it was affordable here, most people would want to live here I think. Its very upkept and clean. Every tree perfectly trimmed. Of course you pay for all this, with crazy rent prices. A lot of people have to work 2 jobs and sometimes 7 days a week to afford it here, unless you are a lawyer, doctor, or marry very rich. Even being a well known author and working a regular job you cant buy a house on the beach here, which can be 7-20 million (depending which beach city your looking at). I will admit I sometimes will go a year without working a regular job since I write books, but it would be nice to own a home in a safe suburb in a city with lots of outdoor things to do without paying an arm and a leg for it.

Why would anyone think a tourist is worse than a homeless person? I just cant understand that logic at all. Please explain....

I have to say overall Im shocked at how catty and negative people are being in this OR section of the forum. For OR being such a nice state when I visited. Maybe people from OR just have dislike for CA people. Ive moved around a bit in my life, and lived in several states, and while there will always be some negative people, Oregon folks (on this forum) seem to be much more negative than other states. Its very interesting. When I was moving to TX and WA the responses were much more helpful :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon