Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 PM

21 posts, read 31,266 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been living in Colorado Springs for eleven years. We are both public school teachers, and while we love it here, we are ready for a change. We have two small children (1.5 and 4) and love the outdoors. We are into rock climbing, hiking, camping, enjoy the arts scene, and would prefer the ability to head downtown to a local coffee shop and browse used books. I am a visual arts teacher and my husband teaches high school theater. While we love it here, it is starting to burst at the seams and we want to head out before it becomes the largest city in the state. Without getting too much into politics, we'd like to live somewhere more progressive and supportive of what we both teach. We also want water! We miss water (originally from MI and MA) and would love to get some kayaks eventually. We have zeroed in on Gig Harbor, thinking one of us may get a job in Tacoma and hopefully the other locally. We would love Port Angeles but it doesn't look like they have many theater programs. We are also looking at Bend, OR. Please help with any info/experience you may have with these areas. I feel like I have researched these cities to death and feel that your opinions and experiences could help shed some light in our predicament! Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 09:44 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Generally speaking it will be easier to find teaching jobs in WA compared to OR because education is on sounder financial footing in WA, especially in more rural areas.

My wife and I recently moved from TX to WA. I teach HS science and was able to find a science teaching job in the Vancouver area (Portland suburb) but it wasn't nearly as easy as finding jobs in TX. The more rural school districts in WA will likely be easier to find work in because you have less competition from young urbanite teachers who want to live in bigger cities.

I was able to interview for jobs long distance via Skype but mainly because I had already nailed down my WA teaching license which wasn't that difficult to obtain, just some tedious paperwork and two tests I needed. I would suggest you both do the same and then start applying for jobs long distance next spring during the hiring season.

Tacoma and its suburbs is probably a good bet for jobs. Some of those areas can be pretty rough so be prepared for inner city type teaching and all that entails. I'm not sure exactly why you are fixated on Gig Harbor. I'd be looking everywhere from Bellingham to Olympia. Gig Harbor is nice enough. It's basically a suburb of Tacoma and kind of an expensive retiree sort of place. But there are lots of other nice places to live.

As for Bend. It has gotten extraordinarily expensive. It is basically the Boulder of Oregon without the university. Making it on a teaching salary or two will be a tough haul. And jobs are likely to be very scarce in Bend as there are so many young single teachers out there who want to live in Bend for the skiing and lifestyle. Basically just like Boulder.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
stick with WA,

For nice access to Water (and nearby mtns)
Consider Silverdale / Bremerton / Poulsbo and also look into Anacortes and Bellingham / Blaine / Birch Bay / Point Roberts

Stanwood / Camano Island (But likely too expensive and near Seattle if crowding in CoS is getting on your nerves

We were chased from CO in the late 1970's (Texans and Californians ran up the valuations / taxes and all my neighbors (ranchers) were forced out). Most went to WY, and ID. but it is really TOUGH to relocate a farm / ranch.

Good luck. I have (2) ex-Colorado SIL's who teach in Oregon schools. It is not very pleasant or lucrative for them. (for last 20+ yrs)

Old 11-25-2017, 11:20 PM

21 posts, read 31,266 times
This is great info, thank you! We were looking at Bellingham originally, but it is extremely pricey. Gig Harbor seemed to be the most affordable (most likely because of tolls to Tacoma), but still very family friendly. I have heard of the rough areas in Tacoma and am not 100% sure where these may be. We are visiting this summer. I will look into getting the tests done....such a good recommendation. I've already emailed their equivalent to our CDE. It will be interesting going from 300+ days of sun to must nearly every day for 7+ months, but oddly enough I'm excited for it. Growing up in MI has me use to this, but we will forgo the bitter temps and feet of snow. Thanks again!!

Old 11-26-2017, 12:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm1garvin View Post
... It will be interesting going from 300+ days of sun to must nearly every day for 7+ months, but oddly enough I'm excited for it. ...
BEST advice I got from many Colorado coworkers who had previously got transferred from CO to PNW (west side)...

DO not be tempted to buy a home nestled in the trees. Get a home with LOTS of windows and a clear south facing view. Keep 300' tall trees away from your home!

moss,
dark,
needles,
risk of tree(s) blowing over and SMASHING your home FLAT!

Our first PNW home was not in the trees, but only had North Facing windows. That was miserable and dark, damp, cold. We were very sick in that home (not sure why).

Enjoy the PNW gardening, get a place with good, dark, sandy loam soil (drainage)

Use lots of lime, as soil is very acid. (Rain leaches out minerals)

Blueberries are GREAT (pretty and productive) Buy older established plants (Ours were over 80 yrs old when we got them 27 yrs ago) They were / are over 6 ft tall and 6' dia drip line. They like acid soils, and need to be 'mounded' (to keep roots from flooding). Mulch them well in winter and summer (Shallow roots). Fertilize during early bloom.

But... you need to enjoy doing EVERYTHING in the drizzle (Stop by Helly Hansen Outlet and get yourself some raingear.)

Old 11-26-2017, 10:49 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm1garvin View Post
This is great info, thank you! We were looking at Bellingham originally, but it is extremely pricey. Gig Harbor seemed to be the most affordable (most likely because of tolls to Tacoma), but still very family friendly. I have heard of the rough areas in Tacoma and am not 100% sure where these may be. We are visiting this summer. I will look into getting the tests done....such a good recommendation. I've already emailed their equivalent to our CDE. It will be interesting going from 300+ days of sun to must nearly every day for 7+ months, but oddly enough I'm excited for it. Growing up in MI has me use to this, but we will forgo the bitter temps and feet of snow. Thanks again!!
Teaching is one of the VERY FEW professional jobs that are often easier to find in more rural areas. If you are willing to forgo being next door to a larger metro area for the bookstores and vegan restaurants and such and save that sort of thing for weekend excursions then you really have a lot of options along the west side of Puget Sound and some of the islands that are beyond easy commuting distance to Seattle. One thing about WA that is different from some states is that the standard teaching salary schedule is fixed at the state level so you aren't necessarily taking a pay cut by moving to a more rural area compared to other states. Some of the big districts like Seattle go above the state standard pay scale but most of the smaller and suburban districts do not.

In addition to the areas that Stealth listed, I'd also look at Whidby Island which is the long island northwest of Seattle. There is a naval air station at the north end of the island near Oak Harbor that produces a lot of jet noise at certain times so be aware of that.

I would also keep your focus on the area between Olympia and Bellingham. Looking at a map from afar you might be tempted to investigate the Grays Harbor area (Aberdeen, Hoquiam, etc.) but that area is really worn down and depressed and consumed by the Opioid epidemic. And it is a LONG way from anyplace else.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
A lot of rich Hong Kong Chinese moved to Vancouver when the British lease expired. They were part of the Commonwealth, so could easily emigrate to Commonwealth nations. When they got to Vancouver they looked across the border and started buying real estate in Bellingham. It was always expensive but, after the Chinese arrived, prices really went up. I spent some time in Oak Harbor years ago. What a beautiful area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: