Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times

Advertisements

So I am coming to town the last week of April to visit family and friends. I know the weather will not be the absolute best, but I am excited to see my hometown again! My friend told me today that she really wants to go somewhere on the Oregon coast with me for a day, and I am really excited. I wanted to know, if the distance from Portland is not an obstacle at all, which of the beach towns is best worth a visit for a relaxing beach town day. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
From Portland I would be looking at Cannon Beach or Manzanita.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
Our family was there on the Oregon Coast this summer for vacation and we all agreed that Newport was our favorite town, out of the whole coast. (although they were all great!!) We thought it had the most to offer out of them all, and the only town we wern't crazy about was Seaside. We just hought it was too crazy and too Wisconsin Dells-ish for us. (if your from the midwest you'll know what i mean) Newport was really nice though. Check out their microbrewery if you end up going!!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
I was planning on that one initially, because it is a little larger and has the aquarium.
I have not been since I was pretty young.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 PM

36 posts, read 217,970 times
It really depends on what you consider to be a "relaxing beach town day". If you want something reasonable from Portland and you would like to spend most of the day on the beach, Manzanita has seven miles of sandy ocean beach and lots of nearby hiking that should still be pretty empty at the time you are travelling. The town itself is very small, only a handful of restaurants and shops so if you are looking for entertainment in town, Cannon Beach would probably be a better bet. Lots of shops and restaurants but also lots more people.
Then again, Cannon Beach and Manzanita are only about 25 minutes apart so why not try both? The drive between the two towns is very scenic, be sure to stop at the lookouts north of Manzanita. The highway there hugs the side of a mountain hundreds of feet up looking out over the ocean. There are a couple of State waysides on the way too, Arcadia and Hug Point, each worth a stop and a short walk on the beach. Have a good time at the Coast!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 13,734 times
Default Beaches

Check out the caves at Hug point.It's one of my favorite places here.Oswald state park is nice also,theres a mile or so walk through old growth timber to get to the beach.Surfers flock there almost year round....

Old 04-03-2008, 04:06 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
So I am coming to town the last week of April to visit family and friends. I know the weather will not be the absolute best, but I am excited to see my hometown again! My friend told me today that she really wants to go somewhere on the Oregon coast with me for a day, and I am really excited. I wanted to know, if the distance from Portland is not an obstacle at all, which of the beach towns is best worth a visit for a relaxing beach town day. Any thoughts???
For one day, go to Cannon Beach. If the weather is nice, go to Ecola State Park there, once inside the park proceed to Indian Beach. AT the end of the parking lot closest the beach you can see Haystack rock, but hike up the Cascade Head Trail just a bit and get drop dead views to include Terrible Tilly, the old Tillamook rock island light house. If the weather is lousy, nose around town as there are shops & galleries to please all tastes. Now, be SURE and have lunch at a fish market/restaurant across the street from city hall. It’s where the locals eat and my favorite place in town.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
Yeah Cannon Beach was cool too! We didn't get to see downtown though, just the beach, which was fine. Haystack Rock was ENORMOUS!! I think that Cannon Beach is probably one of the more popular beach towns in Oregon, just by the amount of people that were there. You should probably check out one of their state parks for the real Oregon beach expirience, they shouldn't be too crowded, or one of the smaller beach towns, like Rockaway Beach. We went there and liked it alot.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 AM

36 posts, read 217,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
You should probably check out one of their state parks for the real Oregon beach expirience, they shouldn't be too crowded, or one of the smaller beach towns, like Rockaway Beach. We went there and liked it alot.
If you go to Rockaway checkout Karla's Smokehouse at the north end of town. Karla has been in business for over 40 years and her smoked seafood is unbelievable. Get there early since she often sells out before the day is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon