Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM

148 posts, read 237,981 times

Advertisements

We eat small children and German's for Christmas dinner. Tastes like chicken

Actually, my family likes to have a spiral honey ham for Christmas dinner.

During the winter we usually take a couple of trips. We usually go someplace warm. This year we went to Cabo san Lucas Mexico, and last year we went to Maui Hawaii. We also take a ski trip, and the best place we have found for snow is Utah. It does not get any better than that. Too bad their beer only has 3.2% alcohol content.

The "Dream State" depends on what people like. Some people love the desert, some people love tropical, some people love Mountains, some people love cities, some people love rain, some love sun, and everything inbetween. There is no "Dream State".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 05:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,226,842 times
(LOL PDX Sailor, at least you didn't answer back that we eat pinecones. LOL.)

Old 12-12-2006, 05:49 PM

148 posts, read 237,981 times
That's a side dish

Old 12-12-2006, 08:55 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,842,429 times
Wink some answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Some next question from me:
Where the Oregonians are spending a Holidays?Summer Lots of them go to the coast.or Winter?All over the place.
Are Oregonians proud of theirs State? Yes
What Oregonians are do not like at all. It's hard to say.
Is it nice to live there?Yes or you would like to move out to another State? Which State is a "Dream State" in Americans opinion.I don't know
Are the people there sportiv?Yes lots of outdoor sports.
What eat the People on X-mas there? Turkey,ham beef with a lot of other foods
Holiday foods are different for each family but most have a large meal together with family members.

Last edited by Waterlily; 12-12-2006 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: fix

Old 12-13-2006, 07:54 AM

48 posts, read 166,411 times
Default German to Oregon

Coming to Oregon is a wonderful place to spend your holiday! The Oregon Coast is a lovely drive to see the Pacific Coast. Portland has many wonderful sites as well.

www.portlandonline.com
www.visittheoregoncoast.com

One thing you would miss out on is Crater Lake. They have to close the roads due to the high volume of snow. And even if you could get up there it is very high in elevation and chances of seeing the lake are slim.

http://www.nps.gov/crla/

I'm not sure where you are in Germany but I know it has been very mild there lately. Was like 13c in Berlin yesterday. It is very mild on the coast but if you go inland be prepared for snow and the conditions that come with it.

You could take the train out from New York. Amtrak would take you right into Portland. It would be a 3 day trip and you would see some lovely sites along the way.

www.amtrak.com

I lived in Oregon for 33 years of my life and miss it very much. I know lots about the travel to Oregon because we are always looking at routes to go visit because I am in eastern Canada now.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!
Da frog

Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 AM

331 posts, read 1,847,719 times
I know this is a forum about Oregon but since you brought up eastern Canada I though I would say that Toronto is one of my favorite cities on the planet. You can talk about Young Street, the Eaton Center, and Castle-Loma forever. You can leave Oregon but Oregon never leaves you.

Dan

Old 12-13-2006, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 9,318 times
Default from Germany to Oregon

I lived in Germany for a few years and now live in Oregon. There are alot of similarities to the Landstuhl area from what I see in weather, and the land. It is milder weather and less rain here in mid willamette valley near Salem.

The Oregon coast is really nice and there are whale watching tours in Newport and Depoe Bay that were really something. The whales come up to the edge of the shore in Depoe Bay. Our family really enjoyed Depoe Bay.

The water is warmer and calmer than what I saw of the atlantic in Germany.

Americans over all are not as friendly as Germans were to us, but then we are americans. Probably because the crime in the U.S. is so much worse compared to Germany. Oregon does have alot of nice and very warm people.

The waterfalls here are incredible and there are alot of them. Silver Falls are beautiful, Falls City water fall is really pretty. The valley of the giants was a neat place with huge trees, we never found the valley itself but did drive the dirt logging roads and see some huge trees and beautiful country.

Eastern Oregon they call desert but it is mostly high plains with no cactus or anything like true desert has. It was beautiful in Wamic, Redmond, Bend and would be something really different for you to see while here if you get a chance but the mountains roads going to the East are not to good.

Our highways and freeways are nothing like the Autobahn, most are like priority roads there.

Enjoy your stay in Oregon and have fun while you are here. And may your vacation be awesome!!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:56 AM

216 posts, read 908,838 times
If you do make it over for a visit, you will not regret it! Oregon is a beautiful place with a lot to see. Have a great trip!

Old 12-13-2006, 11:24 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,457,614 times
A few comments that I would add:

Oregonians tend to be proud of their state. The U.S., however, is a country of great mobility and many Oregonians are people who grew up in other states. In general, there is a regional culture and lifestyle in the western part of the U.S., and more specifically the West Coast, that many people identitify with. In the eastern half of the U.S. there is a cultural divide between North and South, but the West is more homogeneous. This regional culture is probably stronger than any state-based sense of identity. Many have come to Oregon after being "priced out" (no longer able to afford the cost of living) in California. So Oregonians don't necessarily have a sharply-defined identity that ends at the state border.
Oregon is a popular place to visit from June through October and especially during July and August when it is often very hot in other parts of the western U.S., but temperate and dry in most of Oregon. The rainy season runs from November through April. During this time, it is common for Oregonians to take vacations* to southern California or Arizona to get away from the rain and clouds for a while.
Many of us would see either Hawaii or certain parts of California as "dream states". Both are very expensive, though, and large parts of California have been ruined by overdevelopment, overpopulation, rampant crime and uncontrolled immigration. The climate is sunnier and drier south of the 35th line of latitude, and many of us who came from that "sun belt" part of the country still miss certain aspects of it.
It is true that most of the U.S. has been planned around privately-owned automobiles, and having a car is the best way to get around, especially as public transportation is rather expensive compared to most other countries.

*there is a difference between British and American usage regarding the word "holiday". We say "take a vacation" whereas the British say "go on holiday". For us, a "holiday" is a day on the calendar where you don't have to work.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:25 PM

8 posts, read 24,628 times
thank you for all your replys, some people like a "black humor" i see,
i live in Germany on the borders to Netherlands 30min autodrive,30min to Belgium, 1 Hour fahr to Luxembourg, 3 Hours Autodrive to the coast of the North See, 4 hours to Paris- please tell me how fahr are the Distance in your region. How long you drive from Portland to the Coast? for example

Three Days Traintravel from NYC to Portlan looks for me like a fly to the Monn,
I need 13 Hours to go to Spain.., how long takes to go to Canada, to Californien LA or Frisco
ps. your Fotos Dan i received already, thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon