Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:22 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I get that you don't want to believe that earthquakes are an issue, which is your prerogative. But to say that there is "no evidence" is total BS. There is at least 10,000 years of evidence from drill cores, offshore and on, that show a regular cycle of land uplift followed by subsidence and inundation of dry areas with ocean water and thick blocks of sand. Tsunami can also be created by distant earthquakes (see the tsunami damage in Washington, Oregon and California caused by the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake ) but the potential for a large tsunami caused by a CSZ event is much higher.

https://projects.oregonlive.com/maps...uakes/timeline

There are also local earthquakes in most part of Oregon and mapped faults in the Coast Range. Recorded history is so short an interval there that saying that no earthquake has ever happened is inaccurate - no large earthquake has happened in the Florence since about 1875 is the most you can say. The Coast Range is a difficult place to do field work because of heavy vegetation - most earthquake faults have been mapped there either through LIDAR or because a landslide or road cut has exposed an outcrop with a fault in it.

Florence area specific info on tsunamis:
http://www.oregongeology.org/pubs/ts...3_onscreen.pdf
I have lived in other places, and I have experienced earthquakes. Earthquakes don't bother me. If the Oregon Coast was in an earthquake zone, I would still be happy to live here. But there is simply no earthquake history for this area, and I'm certainly not going to worry about a once in 500 year event. Because I'm only going to be around about another 20 or 30 years, if I'm lucky.

You keep bringing up tsunamis. I'm not disputing that the Oregon Coast is a tsunami hazard. But even those are pretty rare, and if one does happen it will be nothing more than a minor inconvenience, unless you happen to be right by the water when it hits.

To summarize, for the Oregon Coast.
Tsunami danger: Moderate, if you are in the Tsunami Zone.
Earthquake danger: Extremely low. Probably about as low as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I live in Florence. The only place where "blowing sand" might happen is down on the beach or the golf course if you play on a really windy day.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I live in Florence. The only place where "blowing sand" might happen is down on the beach or the golf course if you play on a really windy day.
More then once, I have seen it blowing across the Fred Meyers parking lot from Sand Master Park in back of the store. I have actually seen drifts of sand forming in the parking lot. It's a pretty amazing sight.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
To summarize, for the Oregon Coast.
Tsunami danger: Moderate, if you are in the Tsunami Zone.
Earthquake danger: Extremely low. Probably about as low as you can get.
Still wrong. The Cascadia Subduction Zone has and WILL again, at some point in the not-too-distant future, produce a very large earthquake and resultant tsunami - the tsunami maps show a safe height from a far earthquake (Alaska, California, Japan, anywhere on the Ring of Fire) and the near earthquake (the Cascadia Subduction Zone, which is 50-150 miles offshore). The projected magnitude, depending on where along the zone the rupture is, is between 7.0-9.0 - which means susceptible building collapse, damage to roads, bridges, power, water, sewer. A lot of buildings along the coast were built long before current earthquake codes (anything new has to be structurally designed for the highest level of earthquake) and can present a real hazard in a big earthquake.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, you'll find that the cities, counties, state and insurers do.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
More then once, I have seen it blowing across the Fred Meyers parking lot from Sand Master Park in back of the store. I have actually seen drifts of sand forming in the parking lot. It's a pretty amazing sight.
The Fred Meyer parking lot isn't reflective of the town as a whole -- not many residences out there and it's not right in town. I haven't had a grain of sand in my eye since I've been here.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-19-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 02:34 PM

The #1 sport in Florence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAPFxrba3bU

Old 02-19-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The Fred Meyer parking lot isn't reflective of the town as a whole -- not many residences out there and it's not right in town. I haven't had a grain of sand in my eye since I've been here.
The development the OP was looking at, is about a half mile from Fred Meyer. So he was pretty much correct. It's built on sand.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM

So? Most people who live here are able to go about their daily lives without sand blowing in their faces, which was my point. FYI, most residents don't sandboard. There's a lot more to actually living in a community than a parking lot a in an area with very few houses and something someone scared up on you-tube.

Anyway, I'd be glad to answer anyone's questions about Florence via private message (and no, I'm not in real estate or otherwise have an ulterior motive). Be careful what you believe on this forum from those who've never lived in a place. There's a lot of misinformation here. I don't know everything, and unlike some, I have no interest in pretending that I do, but I CAN tell you a little more about day-to-day life.

And listen to PNW-type about earthquake/tsunami risks -- I believe she has the education and experience to actually know what she's talking about.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-19-2018 at 03:03 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 03:08 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
There is no proof that earthquake even happened in Oregon. But if it did, do you really think it is rational to worry about something that might happen every 300 plus years? Earthquakes are a legitimate concern in California. Not a good reason not to live there, but their a legitimate concern. Most people who live in California long enough will likely experience one. Odds are that most Oregonians will never feel an earthquake.
Earthquakes have been happening all the coast for a long time. You were given a really nice link showing the ones they are aware of.

It doesn't matter if you think or I think it is rational or irrational. People are entitled to be informed and make their own decisions. People vary in their tolerance for risk. It doesn't matter where the OP lives along the coast as it is all in a high-risk earthquake zone, so it is just a matter of the OP being comfortable with how a home was built and what it was built on.

OP, if you buy a home pre-1974 it is highly likely it wasn't bolted to the foundation. It wasn't required in Oregon until 1975 so since you are living in a high-risk area, pay attention to the seismic upgrades for a home.

As for most Oregonians never feeling an earthquake, I did feel the 1993 Scotts Mills earthquake in Portland as did everyone I knew. It was a 5.6 and it caused damage to homes in Salem and as far as Dallas that I am aware of. I didn't feel the recent 4.0 in Molalla area though but my neighbor up the hill did.

There was a 5.5 off the coast three weeks ago down by Bandon and people felt it.

There is earthquake activity in Oregon. Get informed and then ask questions so that you are comfortable with your home purchase.

Last edited by Silverfall; 02-19-2018 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The development the OP was looking at, is about a half mile from Fred Meyer. So he was pretty much correct. It's built on sand.

Quote:
practically the entire city of Florence is built on sand
^That was the comment I was responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon