Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times

Advertisements

What kind of vehicle will you be driving? Maybe you can just get a butane burner and heat stuff up inside the vehicle, if there's a fire risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 07:21 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
It's actually against the law to haul firewood around the state of Oregon. At each park, only local wood is permitted. That is because forest destroying insects can be living in firewood and the state is trying to quarantine them to areas where they have already invaded.

Campground hosts generally have firewood for sale and often along the road to the campground there will be a few houses with bundled firewood for sale. Many of the grocery stores will have bundled firewood for sale.

Cooking will be easier with a camping stove. Campgrounds will have picnic tables so there is a place to put the stove.

I've got a two burner stove, but a lot of camp cooking is done on the little tabletop propane barbecue.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:58 AM

5,381 posts, read 7,657,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's actually against the law to haul firewood around the state of Oregon. At each park, only local wood is permitted. That is because forest destroying insects can be living in firewood and the state is trying to quarantine them to areas where they have already invaded.

Campground hosts generally have firewood for sale and often along the road to the campground there will be a few houses with bundled firewood for sale. Many of the grocery stores will have bundled firewood for sale.

Cooking will be easier with a camping stove. Campgrounds will have picnic tables so there is a place to put the stove.

I've got a two burner stove, but a lot of camp cooking is done on the little tabletop propane barbecue.
Yes I forgot about this. Pretty much all the campgrounds in the western part of the state (that aren't deserts) have lots of waste wood that gets generated through trail and grounds maintenance. So they cut it up and sell it as firewood to get rid of it. If fires are legal you will almost certainly be able to get wood locally at the campground or right outside.

But the coleman stove is perfect. A cheap electric tea kettle is also not a bad thing to have if you are staying at state parks that have electricity for your quick morning coffee and oatmeal. Saves having to fire up the stove. I car camp with a little portable aluminum folding camping table that I can set up next to the campsite electrical outlets to set up my coffee pot and create a charging station for all the devices. A splitter plug is also handy if you are charging phones, tablets, cameras, etc. And perhaps an extension cord to reach your picnic table. Easy to run out of outlets.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What kind of vehicle will you be driving? Maybe you can just get a butane burner and heat stuff up inside the vehicle, if there's a fire risk.
cookstoves are allowed in Campground facilities during burn ban. Be smart

Never

I say NEVER
use a fueled stove in a car / confined space, Co2, (silent killer) then... you are DEAD
Lost a GREAT engineer, cuz he wheeled his BBQ into the apartment during a very brief thunderstorm.

Fumes... since many (most people... except me) drive Gasoline powered vehicles... explosion of invisible fumes (from car) is a very real threat. (ask anyone in Oregon or NJ! )

NEVER cook in the car!

(Except via Manifold Destiny ) Probably not a great idea either, but I have done it many times.. not dead YET... Worked well for Thanksgiving and Christmas Turkey and Ham dinners while a truckdriver.
https://www.wisebread.com/cooking-gr...the-heat-is-on

1) Buy lots of life insurance BEFORE this camping trip! Seems a few couples in PNW have returned home solo (3) within a few miles of my home (Cape Horn, Crown Point, and Beacon Rock). "Nice pic, just about gotcha... OK... just back up another step"... Poof, GONE! whoops. (Happened on coast of Portugal last week!) One guy only got 'caught' on #3, when he was dragging his new wife around Lake Washington BEHIND the boat!!

I agree with the Forest Lookout camping in the PNW as a unique 'honeymoon quality' camping experience.

We did a few nights camping on our HM, 38 yrs ago, but I definitely was glad to learn from an elderly friend who had attempted an OR / WA kayak / VW beetle / camping honeymoon, 15 yrs before me! His DW had PLENTY to say about THAT!!! and still does (53 yrs later, ... she is still really BURNT up about it!). Be wise (Buy the insurance!)

Old 07-06-2018, 08:01 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,430,496 times
If you are really as self sufficient and reliable as you seem to think you are (but it seems like you just summertime car camp---no problem) go get some BLM and Forest Service maps and do your own thing.

There are millions of places to camp if you don't need to be entertained by a "Lake" or "Extreme Outdoor Opportunities", a "Big Roaring Creek or River" or "Developed Campsite", or a "View".
In fact you will meet thousands of new friends if you go that route.

If you can show up, pull it all out of the back of your old pickup or car ( and it doesn't even HAVE to be a Subaru), and happily camp a day or two where-ever you are, you will be light years ahead of millions of the new "Oregon Posers".

BTW, nobody is going to share one of those super cool "un-discovered" spots with you.
Especially on a place that is a nationally read website.

Ever.

Just read some guide books and you will do ok.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
If you are really as self sufficient and reliable as you seem to think you are (but it seems like you just summertime car camp---no problem) go get some BLM and Forest Service maps and do your own thing.
If you can show up, pull it all out of the back of your old pickup or car ( and it doesn't even HAVE to be a Subaru), and happily camp a day or two where-ever you are, you will be light years ahead of millions of the new "Oregon Posers".

BTW, nobody is going to share one of those super cool "un-discovered" spots with you.
Especially on a place that is a nationally read website.

Ever.

Just read some guide books and you will do ok.
Be cautious when trying Remote Area Car Camping in an electric / hybrid. It took 3 of us over 12 hours to extract a Prius from a NM campsite in the mtns (not that remote), but we had to bring in a tractor / winches from 30 miles away, tug / drag the car around (sideways to get a way to access it), then transfer the car to a pickup and trailer and finally a tow truck for it's 300 mile ride to a Denver fix-it shop. After a couple days 'ordeal', including finding a ride to Albuquerque ... The owners continued their camping honeymoon in a rental car, then figured out how to get to Denver to fetch their Pruis.

My 50 mpg vintage car loves to remote camp... I park it on a hillside facing down, and just pop the clutch to 'bump-start' it if the battery goes dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon