Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:41 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times

Advertisements

We are way off topic by this point - please return to the OP's question.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 PM

661 posts, read 833,425 times
Default Blue Collar

Its too bad as many pay more than college graduate jobs, electricians, plumbers. I know a HVAC friend that makes really good money fixing and installing air conditioners and heaters, averages $150/hr, and its only a 8 month certificate program at most local community colleges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Many community leaders are looking at bringing back blue-collar work to the area, but generally millennials haven’t warmed up to these types of positions.

“I think that physical labor is less and less the form of work we want,” Sapp said.

Lokic believes that this may have to do with how millennials were raised

Derek

Old 07-23-2018, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't think I'm exaggerating anything. Coos Bay has hundreds of homeless people, who can't find enough work to pay rent. High school graduates have very few options. 1. Get a job at Walmart, Fred Meyer, or Safeway and continue to live with their parents for as long as that lasts. Then maybe get a second job to be able to afford to rent a cheap apartment. 2. Leave the area to get an education and maybe return after they have some job skills so they can get a good job, that they can actually live off of. Those options are not even available for people moving here.

This thread is completely laughable. I think the OP is just taking a shot in the dark, hoping somebody will give them a magical cheap solution for living on the coast. That is not going to happen.
I have yet to comment, but I figured now is a good time to let you know, I did find a relatively cheap way to live on the coast in a one bedroom apartment, not in a van on the beach. Thank you everyone who posted a helpful comment, I did get some useful information from this thread. However, Cloudy Dayz, I understand your points, but if someone else young is trying to move to the area, maybe don't be so dramatic, you might turn people off from moving to this beautiful place.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:06 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,548 times
Ya see, Cloudy?

Old 07-23-2018, 02:10 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic sea lover View Post
I have yet to comment, but I figured now is a good time to let you know, I did find a relatively cheap way to live on the coast in a one bedroom apartment, not in a van on the beach. Thank you everyone who posted a helpful comment, I did get some useful information from this thread.
Glad you found something, please update this in a few months with your impressions.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-23-2018, 09:57 PM

679 posts, read 878,007 times
Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here. I sure do!

Old 07-24-2018, 12:46 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Ya see, Cloudy?
I'm trying to give people good information, not win a popularity contest.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 07-24-2018 at 01:31 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,735 times
It is beautiful and it does rain, but it's not small enough where you would have to commute. everything is within the cities of Charleston, Coos bay and North bend. It has everything you would need. Because im from California I know its WAY cheaper than East Coast and Cali as well hence why we are moving there and buying not renting. The rent is WAY inexpensive compared to where we are coming from. You will enjoy it there if you are used to East Coast. Its very Eastern Seaboard feeling. It reminds me of the big fishing ports on the East Coast. You will love it. and you will find everything you need in one place. Big enough so not everyones in your biz, and you dont have to drive to other places to get services ( I know Ive lived in Ashland, Astoria, all over Oregon and N. Cal. Eastern Oregon you have to drive to get things) but small enough where it's not so over populated and gobs of traffic. ENJOY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon