Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:19 PM

199 posts, read 217,464 times

Advertisements

Well I like Best Western hotel right on the river in Hood River, the hotel in the Indian reservation, Tolovana Inn in Cannon Beach and a few others I can't remember now. I'm looking forward to hear some interesting ones, perhaps some less-known ones in the mountains or some wineries that have their own resorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Though it sounds boring, my favorite is the Best Western Beachfront Inn, Brookings Oregon. With a second or third floor waterfront room, you can see the water from bed, then leave the balcony door open all night and sleep to the sound of waves crashing onto the beach. Just keep the screen door closed so you don’t get a morning visit from the seagulls. It’s quite reasonable at about $200/night, and there are good restaurants nearby.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:18 PM

285 posts, read 540,876 times
Try The Allison in Newberg. Probably the best resort in OR

Old 07-08-2018, 11:17 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Skamania Lodge is very nice on the WA side of the gorge. I only stayed there during a corporate conference my wife attended. I don’t think I’d do it on my own dime though. Too close to home.

On my to do list is the Wallowa Lake Lodge which we haven’t done yet.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Skamania Lodge is very nice on the WA side of the gorge. I only stayed there during a corporate conference my wife attended. I don’t think I’d do it on my own dime though. Too close to home.

Oh yes! I forgot about that one. It's great. I also like the cruise tours in that area.

There is also Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach but it's ridiculously expensive.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
My favorite spots in Oregon (and around the world) are $ free to $20 / night guest hospitality homes (for entire family).

Have stayed in many great Coast and Mtn homes in Oregon (tho I prefer farms and ranches, so stay in plenty of those also.)

1000's of excellent stays during last 30 yrs, some are guest cottages / MIL homes / and beach condos. Most are terrific 'view' homes with private guest space. Hosts are what make the stay wonderful, exciting, a true learning experience. (many hosts are lawyers, profs, teachers, librarians) (235 stays in 2016 alone - I flee USA during election yrs, and come back just to vote)

Old 07-09-2018, 07:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Best Western at Agate Beach. Am I detecting a trend?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:34 PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned any winery resorts, but then again there aren't many in Oregon.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:19 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned any winery resorts, but then again there aren't many in Oregon.

There have been a couple of articles in the local paper about that - several Rogue Valley wineries want to be "destination" wineries with hotels and full on restaurants but the land-use rules were pretty much written by Willamette Valley wineries, which aren't interested in it. There are two local wineries in particular which have tried to go several rounds with the state land use planners (and lost every time). Most of the issue revolves around zoning - if the winery wants to keep their favorable ag zoning, then there are restrictions on what they can do.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-15-2018, 08:26 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
There have been a couple of articles in the local paper about that - several Rogue Valley wineries want to be "destination" wineries with hotels and full on restaurants but the land-use rules were pretty much written by Willamette Valley wineries, which aren't interested in it. There are two local wineries in particular which have tried to go several rounds with the state land use planners (and lost every time). Most of the issue revolves around zoning - if the winery wants to keep their favorable ag zoning, then there are restrictions on what they can do.
Are you sure about that? My impression was that there were Yamhill County wineries and others around the Willamette Valley who would also want to do the winery restaurant/B&B kind of thing but were also prevented from doing so by land-use laws from the 1970s that long pre-date the growth of the wine industry in Oregon.

I'm not arguing that Rogue Valley wineries have been blocked by land-use laws from opening hotels and restaurants. Only that Willamette Valley wineries are behind those restrictions. I would expect that it would more be 1000 Friends of Oregon and other land-use advocacy groups.

Honestly I kind of doubt these laws were really written with the idea of restricting boutique wineries of the type one finds in say Napa. I think it was more to prevent strip development of fast food restaurants, motels, and other commercial sprawl out in farmland.

In any event, if one wants a winery destination there is at least the McMenamin's Edgefield Inn in Troutdale which sort of qualifies. They do grow wine there. On the other side of the Gorge is the Maryhill Winery in Goldendale which has upscale dining and lodging and concerts. There are a lot more winery B&B type operations in Washington State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon