Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,199 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

So, I am currently looking at places to live in Oregon. My wife and I have been looking for a new place to live as her work contract will be up at the end of 2019.
We have looked at Portland. It is kind of expensive to live there at least from the reviews I have seen. But we would be interested in finding someplace that is on the outskirts doesn't need to be directly at or in the city.
Also she really likes the redwoods, mountains, hiking, fishing, etc.
She is a high school teacher, I have my BBA: MIS and minor in CS and I am thinking of going and getting a Masters from one of the Colleges in Oregon.
We are happy to communicate if we can find a nice place.
Apartments would probably be where we start unless we can find a nice house that is not too expensive. However, I feel apartment with roommates for now will be the solution until we get established.
Now, I do have family that live in Medford and Eugene if anything is needed. I actually use to live in Oregon but I was very young and my parents left Oregon and I have never been back.
I have just read great things about Oregon and that everyone loves it and scenery is great and living on the west coast is basically ideal for us.
Anyways, I want to thank you all for looking and for any suggestions.
Of course I will be doing my own research but I thought it would be great to hear from people that live there and have knowledge for new comers.

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:57 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterTalks View Post
Hi everyone!

So, I am currently looking at places to live in Oregon. My wife and I have been looking for a new place to live as her work contract will be up at the end of 2019.
We have looked at Portland. It is kind of expensive to live there at least from the reviews I have seen. But we would be interested in finding someplace that is on the outskirts doesn't need to be directly at or in the city.
She is a high school teacher, I have my BBA: MIS and minor in CS and I am thinking of going and getting a Masters from one of the Colleges in Oregon.
Apartments would probably be where we start unless we can find a nice house that is not too expensive. However, I feel apartment with roommates for now will be the solution until we get established.
Now, I do have family that live in Medford and Eugene if anything is needed. I actually use to live in Oregon but I was very young and my parents left Oregon and I have never been back.
I have just read great things about Oregon and that everyone loves it and scenery is great and living on the west coast is basically ideal for us.
Of course I will be doing my own research but I thought it would be great to hear from people that live there and have knowledge for new comers.

Thank you all!
I can't really give you a lot of advice on that, but redwoods are mostly in Northern California. Have you considered that area? Really it's going to come down to where you can get jobs. Many others have pointed out that school teaching jobs are a bit competitive in many parts of Oregon.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
In general, the larger the city the more job opportunities. About 3/4 of Oregon's entire population lives in the Willamette Valley and most of that is in Portland and its suburbs. Housing-wise, Portland is much more expensive than the other two cities in the WV, Salem and Eugene - but most of Oregon is in a rental housing crunch, with very low vacancy rates, making apartments hard to find.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
So maybe if you tell the forum what you would like in a city we can give you suggestions.

Size of city?

Things other than the things you like that are important. Everyplace in Oregon has access to hiking, fishing, etc. Walkable? Good public transportation?

Are you wanting to go for an MBA? What kind of Masters Degree do you want?

Old 07-24-2018, 12:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterTalks View Post
Hi everyone!

Thank you all!
I teach in Both OR and WA (college / adults)
recently did a Masters at an OR Uni
Lived on the border (WA / OR for 30+ yrs (Previously CO and WY)

Why Oregon? (family you say?)
For your wife (EDU employment, has a REAL job, likes redwoods mtns, fishing hiking...) Northern CA might be GREAT! I would NOT subject her to 'roomates' in an Apartment in Portland / Eugene / Corvallis (or anywhere else) 2ndly (for her benefit...) WA State is 30 Seconds from OR and funds teachers / schools and is income tax free

WHAT school /Major will you pursue? (is that the BEST school for your chosen Major / career... don't waste your time and money on anything less)

BTW: not EVERYONE loves Oregon... It is nice (in places), it has plenty of warts (As do most places). Do what is BEST for your age / objectives / family. It will not be perfect. (I will be surprised if the BEST choice includes Oregon). Make a weighted spreadsheet and start researching and filling it out!. A detailed decision process will result!

Old 07-25-2018, 04:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
In general, the larger the city the more job opportunities. About 3/4 of Oregon's entire population lives in the Willamette Valley and most of that is in Portland and its suburbs. Housing-wise, Portland is much more expensive than the other two cities in the WV, Salem and Eugene - but most of Oregon is in a rental housing crunch, with very low vacancy rates, making apartments hard to find.

We're not opposed to living outside of major cities and commuting. In fact, it's preferable because while we do like what big cities have to offer (night life, shopping, touristy stuff) I don't think we would actually want to live in one. Where we both grew up, in Alaska, is about an hour commute from our largest city.

My bachelors is Business Administration and major is Management Information Systems and minor in Computer Science.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:19 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
Go where you can find jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon