Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Anyone who lives here or even visits on a regular basis knows where most of the retirees are coming from. Not everything is dependent on Google. I'll go ahead and accept the prevailing observations of myself and pretty much everyone else who lives here. You keep harping on the use of the word droves, but it's a relative term that you don't get to define. If you want to look up migration data, you can start here:

https://www.irs.gov/statistics/soi-t...migration-data

Damn, I sure suffered this summer with the weather. Months of sunny blue skies and no smoke from the fires. I don't know how much longer I can stand it. It's horrible now as well, with flowers blooming in droves instead of everything all dead, dry, and cold.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-12-2018 at 10:36 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 11:18 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Also, "retirees" don't sit around in a stupor sitting around WalMart wearing Depends and drooling all over their mobility scooters all day, dreaming about going to Shari's for a discounted senior citizen's dinner every evening at 4pm.....
Thanks the laugh, of course now I need to go change my Depends.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Also, "retirees" don't sit around in a stupor sitting around WalMart wearing Depends and drooling all over their mobility scooters all day, dreaming about going to Shari's for a discounted senior citizen's dinner every evening at 4pm.....
Wait...I can get a discounted senior dinner at Sharis? Why did I not know this? Frugal is as frugal does. I shop at Coastal Farm and Ranch on Tuesday so I can get the 10% senior discount, even on sale stuff. I have a 25% off coupon at Harbor Freight for a $1900 milling machine. I wonder how many discounted senior dinners I could get for the $475 I would save?

Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Here you go!

https://www.menuwithprice.com/menu/sharis-restaurant/

Look for the "Honored Citizens" menu.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:52 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Wait...I can get a discounted senior dinner at Sharis? Why did I not know this? Frugal is as frugal does. I shop at Coastal Farm and Ranch on Tuesday so I can get the 10% senior discount, even on sale stuff. I have a 25% off coupon at Harbor Freight for a $1900 milling machine. I wonder how many discounted senior dinners I could get for the $475 I would save?
I rest my case. I went into the one in east Vancouver with my kids a couple months ago. I think we were the only ones there under 65.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Does Coos Bay even have a Shari's?

There's a hundred long and short term jobs right there from bare lot to operating restaurant!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:41 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This may help your friend. Vacationers won't be able to live in these:

https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/a...759124656.html
Thank-you for your concern. She isn’t a friend but is someone we met on a beach. She does have family in Northern California. I did feel bad for her as she had a good seasonal job with the city that was ending soon. She was a very nice person.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:08 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Does Coos Bay even have a Shari's?

There's a hundred long and short term jobs right there from bare lot to operating restaurant!
Like I said. I actually wasn't being facecious. If the future population growth is going to be driven by retirees then the investment that is going to follow is going to be catering to that market. Places like Shari's and Golden Corral are really more the last generation of retirees who will eventually be aging out. I'm not sure what the existing generation of 50-something soon to be retired cohort is going to be looking for. Probably something different. Maybe the next chain of microbrew pubs will start doing golden oldie promos. Who knows. But that's what people looking to invest in Coos Bay should be thinking about.

Coos Bay isn't going to get the next Amazon HQ or any tech investments at all. Teenagers will mostly still flee the place when they turn 18 as they have done for generations. As others have noted, it isn't well situated for industrial development that requires transportation access because the rail and highway connections are so lacking. Turning Coos Bay into a multi-modal container port, for example, would require billions of new investment into multi-modal rail to get containers out of Coos Bay and that simply isn't going to happen.

I do think we will see a lot of interesting new developments in structural composite wood products, especially for commercial construction. Oregon is well positioned to become a part of that emerging new industry. Unfortunately Coos Bay is not. If I'm going to invest in a $100 million factory to build new large scale composite wood panels and things like 50' long engineered trusses and beams, I'm going to put it someplace with existing rail and highway connections to get those large awkward products to market. That means somewhere along the I-5 corridor frankly. And probably somewhere between Eugene and Portland were the existing Union Pacific rail lines run so that product can be shipped out by rail.

The proposal to punch a natural gas pipeline across SE Oregon to Coos Bay to build a new LNG terminal is interesting but I don't see it ever happening in this day and age with the increasing worldwide focus on reducing fossil fuel consumption. There are a LOT of hurdles that have to be overcome before that ever gets off the ground and there are a lot of other competing proposals around the world that might make more sense.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
There is a rail road in Southern Oregon, the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad (amusing as it serves neither Central Oregon nor the cities on the Pacific Ocean) with end terminus in Eugene and Black Butte, just below Weed, CA, that connect with the main Union Pacific-owned lines. I think Roseburg Lumber, the mdf/plywood plant in Central Point (which is a subsidiary of Roseburg now, I think), the Far West Steel plant and whatever that plywood plant between Roseburg and Grants Pass are the main users, along with a couple industrial chemical supply companies.

If conditions are right, I can hear the train blow for a crossing about 2 miles from my house.

The company that owns the line just spent a bundle of money to re-open the southbound stretch between Ashland and Black Butte, CA. During high fire danger, it runs only at night.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The proposal to punch a natural gas pipeline across SE Oregon to Coos Bay to build a new LNG terminal is interesting but I don't see it ever happening in this day and age with the increasing worldwide focus on reducing fossil fuel consumption. There are a LOT of hurdles that have to be overcome before that ever gets off the ground and there are a lot of other competing proposals around the world that might make more sense.
DSL accepted the application yesterday, which started the 60 day comment period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon