Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 12:48 AM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You must stop for horses on the road, which I always do
Again, this statement ^ is not the truth. You do not always have to stop for horses on the road. The link you posted proves that.

Quote:
If a person riding or leading livestock upon a highway gives a distress signal to an approaching driver by raising a hand, the driver must promptly stop the driver’s vehicle,
This is from the DMV manual:

Quote:
Stop your vehicle if a person riding on horseback or leading an animal raises a hand or it is obvious the animal is frightened, unless stopping would cause a crash. A raised hand means the animal is frightened. Do not use your horn or make other loud, sudden noises near the animal.
Of course, it stands to reason that if you're out in Eastern Oregon (or anywhere else) and someone's driving cattle (or horses, sheep, llamas, or any other kind of livestock) across the road, you stop your car and let them pass, but that's a far cry from always stopping for horses on the road, which you claim to do.

What you're supposed to do is slow down if you see a rider or riders on the road, keep going unless the driver raises a hand as stated in the reference material that you posted, and give them a wide berth. If they're in the middle of the road or whatever and you can't safely pass, of course you should stop, but it sounds like you're simply stopping every time you see a horse on the road. SMH. Creeping along behind them is one of the absolute worst things you can do. No wonder people are giving you funny looks.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-29-2018 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:46 AM

15,183 posts, read 8,768,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Again, this statement ^ is not the truth. You do not always have to stop for horses on the road. The link you posted proves that.
OK, you got me. I should said "yield" not "stop". Yield means slow down and stop if necessary. Personally unless I see a cop nearby I treat all stops except for red lights, as yields anyway. So there isn't much difference to me. Regardless, livestock have the right away in most every state.

The same law from California.

Quote:
The driver of any vehicle approaching any horse drawn vehicle, any ridden animal, or any livestock shall exercise proper control of his vehicle and shall reduce speed or stop as may appear necessary or as may be signalled or otherwise requested by any person driving, riding or in charge of the animal or livestock in order to avoid frightening and to safeguard the animal or livestock and to insure the safety of any person driving or riding the animal or in charge of the livestock.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...tionNum=21759.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:34 AM

811 posts, read 1,050,834 times
At least people should be prepared for the horse question on the test now.

I lived in a "horse town" for many years in my youth. Stopping for every horse would literally stop you from getting anywhere. Of course you slow down and check for possible reaction by the horse, the same as you would do for a deer standing next to the road.

What threw me off on the test was the wording about the equestrian raising their hand. I have NEVER seen a rider do that with countless interactions. Either they are trying to downplay that traffic is anything to worry about for the horse, as someone mentioned, or they have their hands full and are not about to drop the reins to wave their hands around, especially if riding English style.

Funny thing is the closest call I had with a horse, while driving a car, was edging by my sister on her very skittish horse which she was riding into town (probably a bad idea on her part). I slowed down and her horse spooked, as it did about everything, and reared and almost threw her off, but I had come to a stop by then. I never saw a raised hand......

Old 12-29-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
At least people should be prepared for the horse question on the test now.

I lived in a "horse town" for many years in my youth. Stopping for every horse would literally stop you from getting anywhere. Of course you slow down and check for possible reaction by the horse, the same as you would do for a deer standing next to the road.

What threw me off on the test was the wording about the equestrian raising their hand. I have NEVER seen a rider do that with countless interactions. Either they are trying to downplay that traffic is anything to worry about for the horse, as someone mentioned, or they have their hands full and are not about to drop the reins to wave their hands around, especially if riding English style.

Funny thing is the closest call I had with a horse, while driving a car, was edging by my sister on her very skittish horse which she was riding into town (probably a bad idea on her part). I slowed down and her horse spooked, as it did about everything, and reared and almost threw her off, but I had come to a stop by then. I never saw a raised hand......
LOL, the horse question could be the difference between passing and failing. And I agree I have never seen any horse riders use that signal either. I also treat horses like any other animals on the road. I stop and wait for them to get clear of the road, or drive extremely slow (5 mph) past them. It has worked for me. In 43 years of driving, I have never hit any animal, and I have seen a lot of animals on the road.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 12-29-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
OK, you got me. I should said "yield" not "stop". Yield means slow down and stop if necessary. Personally unless I see a cop nearby I treat all stops except for red lights, as yields anyway. So there isn't much difference to me. Regardless, livestock have the right away in most every state.
I never said they didn't.

The more I read about your driving, the more I'm convinced you should have your license taken away. Bombing up and down Highway 101 at 90 mph, and now you're running stop signs. You're retired; where do you have to be in such a hurry?

Old 12-29-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I also treat horses like any other animals on the road. I stop and wait for them to get clear of the road, or drive extremely slow (5 mph) past them. It has worked for me.
You aren't doing the horses or their riders any favors by creeping along at 5 mph. The more you creep along, the more the animal is going to regard you as a potential predator, increasing the chances of it becoming spooked. Try slowing down to a reasonable speed while positioning your vehicle as far from the horse as safely possible.

Quote:
But when I stop for them, the riders usually seem confused, and they end up just waiting and waving for me to go. I guess they are used to cars not stopping, and when one does it catches them off guard.
The riders are probably annoyed rather than confused. The fact that they usually react this way to you should tell you something.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
You aren't doing the horses or their riders any favors by creeping along at 5 mph. The more you creep along, the more the animal is going to regard you as a potential predator, increasing the chances of it becoming spooked. Try slowing down to a reasonable speed while positioning your vehicle as far from the horse as safely possible.
I'm not trying to do the riders any favors. I'm protecting myself from liability if the horse gets spooked and decides to run into the path of my car.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to do the riders any favors. I'm protecting myself from liability if the horse gets spooked and decides to run into the path of my car.
The chances of spooking the horse are greater the longer you creep along behind or around them, so you're not doing yourself any favors either. Horses are hardwired to interpret this behavior as predation.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-30-2018 at 12:10 AM..

Old 12-30-2018, 06:07 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,487,183 times
Quote:
The chances of spooking the horse are greater the longer you creep along behind or around them, so you're not doing yourself any favors either. Horses are hardwired to interpret this behavior as predation.

Which is why their eyes are on the sides of their heads...so they can see what's coming up behind them.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,729,982 times
A lot of people don't seem to know about the left turn on red from a two-way street on to a one-way street, either. I think it's just that the crossing of an opposing lane of traffic on a red feels wrong.

I've been honked at for doing it.

Page 31:
https://www.oregon.gov/odot/forms/dmv/37.pdf

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...devils_in.html

Of course, a lot of people don't seem to grasp the traffic roundabout near my house, either. It is NOT: come to a complete stop at the YIELD sign and then wait for the entire circle to be empty of traffic before you go.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon