Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 PM

237 posts, read 410,983 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Was continuing my search for a place to buy a home and was looking at Medford and Grant's Pass... noticed prices are significantly higher per sq. ft. in Ashland.

Anyone know what's behind that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is in Ashland. The whole town has a tourist economy.

BTW, there's no apostrophe in Grants Pass.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:50 AM

231 posts, read 239,360 times
I live in Ashland. Ashland is a unique place in that it has all the natural beauty of much of southern Oregon, but it also has a certain cultural scene. It has a very big regional theater (Oregon Shakespeare Festival), it has a university, it has a well-regarded public school system that is financially supported by the community taxing itself to provide more extracurricular opportunities for the students, it also taxes itself to keep its public library branch open more days/hours than other regional branches. The tourist economy means the city government keeps it looking very pretty, well kept. It has higher property taxes (and other taxes on utilities, restaurant meals, hotels, etc.) to fund all that. It's not the only spendy town in southern Oregon, there's also Jacksonville, but it's much smaller than Ashland.

Like a lot of "hip" places on the I-5 it also gets more than its share of traveling drifters with backpacks, road dogs, panhandling and bad sidewalk busking. That's mostly an issue in the summer. But overall, it's a very friendly, close knit town, and pretty self-contained. It's a great place for kids. Mine grew up here. That said, we moved here 20 years ago, a little family with a modest income. If we were looking now, there is no where we'd be able to afford. That's the thing most people complain about, the cost of housing. (Although it's a problem in much of southern Oregon, it's even more of a problem here.) I have to say I don't entirely get the beef since almost every regional area has certain more expensive parts of it and less expensive parts. For some reason people think Ashland is to blame for being desirable enough that people with more money want to move here.

Anyway, that's another way-too-loaded topic. The thing that makes the town attractive to tourists is the same thing that makes it attractive to residents. It's pretty, has a lot of culture (not just theater, but art, music, a little art-cinema movie house, charming shops, good restaurants, coffee shops, and so forth.) It's also a very politically liberal community, which is more comfortable for some people than a more conservative one. There is every religious expression under the sun here, from Baptists to Buddhists. There is a perception of it from other parts of the county as being snobby, I have never felt that but then I live here so maybe that makes me a snob too? Although I live in one of the funkier parts of town in a 2bd/1bath, 1000 sq/ft, 70-yr-old house... so maybe not.

Mostly I think it's a place of nice, generous people who support the community (including with their self-taxed pocketbooks). You can definitely feel the difference that the higher average incomes makes in the community though. It gives the town the ability to craft its image, to have more control over atmospherics. For example there's a sign ordinance that keeps businesses from ugly-fying the town with big lighted signage. There are building footprint restrictions that have kept out big box stores. There is a building permit process that limits big barren parking lots, poorly designed buildings, scale and so forth. All those kinds of municipal restrictions drive some folks in don't-tread-on-me Oregon crazy. It's because Ashland doesn't need big commercial development to support it that it can operate the way it does. It's economic base is largely dependent on being this very pretty, culturally rich small jewel box town. Also a college town. Southern Oregon Univ has a very lovely campus.

We're planning on moving away within a year or so (husband is retiring, kids live on the east coast, and we've lived here a really long time and need to shake things up a bit) but there is a great deal we'll miss about it.

Last edited by PNW to NEPA; 01-02-2019 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-02-2019, 10:16 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
When I moved to the area 6 years ago from the other side of the Cascades, I looked at Ashland and, while there are some nicer things, for me there was absolutely nothing to justify the inflated prices. There are a lot of second homes and upscale retirees, but, for an employed person, you'd either be working in seasonal tourism and retail or medical or driving to Medford for work. From Medford I go to Ashland maybe once or twice a month, and that is generally to visit a friend.

I have friends who live there, but they have lived there at least 15 years and most of them much longer than that. I also know a lot of people who have left Ashland (for Talent, Phoenix, Medford) because of the housing prices - you don't get much for your dollar, at least not from my point of view.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 01-02-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM

It's very true you don't get much for your dollar if what you're looking to buy is only house or house+land. I think many people, though, are buying residency in the town as much as any particular house. The town factor is not as important to some people, even people who could afford to buy here. Like I said, if we were buying now we'd also have to look elsewhere whether we preferred Ashland or not, but in response to the original question I'm just offering what I think is the reason for the higher housing prices. For people buying now, it can't be just any particular (expensive) house, it's really the community. If you want to be able to run into somebody in a coffee shop and find yourself in a conversation about string quartets or Norwegian novelists, then in southern Oregon you'd better be in Ashland. (And since it's a small and relatively walkable town, you can wander into coffee shops that way.) And it's community aesthetics, the arts, the college, and so forth. The theater brings a lot of creative professionals into town.

If I had to move into southern Oregon today, I'd probably look at finding a fixer in Talent. Talent is shaping itself (slowly) into being a similar kind of place. Plus it's nearest to Ashland and gets spillover from there. Lots of interesting folks living up Wagner Creek and thereabouts. It's sort of a hybrid community now, but has more young folks than Ashland. If most of southern Oregon is pick-up trucks, and Ashland is mostly Prius's, then Talent is sort of split down the middle.

Last edited by PNW to NEPA; 01-02-2019 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-02-2019, 10:59 AM

It's also the city with the lowest vaccination rate for children in the state of Oregon because of some pretty out-there beliefs in "natural" medicine and a huge post-New-Age culture that I find particularly annoying. So YMMV.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:03 AM

No, my mileage doesn't vary on that point. The vaccination issue annoys me greatly. Mostly because stupid annoys me, wherever it imposes itself on the public.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:59 PM

218 posts, read 244,455 times
I used to think I wanted to live in Ashland, now I'm glad I don't. Some people like the culture and trippy life style, which adds to the cost of living.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:48 PM

There are definitely good things about Ashland (Lithia Park is gorgeous) and there are some fairly tight cross-sections of community there. If someone wanted to be a part of those communities, it would be a great - but very expensive, by Oregon standards - place.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 PM

237 posts, read 410,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
I used to think I wanted to live in Ashland, now I'm glad I don't. Some people like the culture and trippy life style, which adds to the cost of living.
What's "trippy life style"?

Does that mean it's a neo-60's (perhaps "hippie") kind of place?

Saw some of that when I was working and living in Boulder, Co. But not much.

Boulder is monied enough on average that folks will wear clothes like the 60's (blue jeans and such, causal) but are actually IBM'ers and such.

Used to joke that "The People's Republic of Boulder" was populated with "rich hippies". But I guess given the income it takes to have a home there... they really aren't truly "hippies" but rather "60's styled techies" or what not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon