Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 03:28 AM

16 posts, read 18,871 times

Advertisements

How has your experience been? Did the move alleviate the push factors that you were experiencing (like cost of living or traffic)? Would you do anything differently?

Appreciate the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 10:48 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguy1059 View Post
How has your experience been? Did the move alleviate the push factors that you were experiencing (like cost of living or traffic)? Would you do anything differently?

Appreciate the feedback
I'm not from LA but have had clients from all over CA move here. Most have stayed with a handful heading back. The ones that headed back to CA needed more sun and just don't like rain. Everyone else has had no regrets and they often tell me, when I talk to them, that they didn't realize just how crazy life was there until they went back to visit and sat in traffic for hours.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
I lived in Costa Mesa (Orange County) and my wife lived in Redondo Beach before we got married and moved here in 1994. We're very happy here.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
About 200 people / month move to Portland area from SO CA (for last 30 yrs).
Rental trucks are hard to get southbound in Feb - March, but are VERY cheap Northbound those months (Some companies will PAY you to relocate trucks North in winter)

Most my Bay area coworkers (who were smart and successful) retained their CA homes and retired there and LUV prop 13! $200-$300 / yr property taxes in Palo Alto / Los Gatos on $2m home. (I pay that much Property Taxes every week in PNW due to Californication of property values in western states (displacing locals for last 40 yrs).

DW did it via Colorado - fine for her (not for me / prairie kid) weather related, and socially PNW is very COLD (I.e. search Seattle Freeze = bring your own friends) or be outgoing enough to seek new friends (who will be nice, congenial, but somewhat cold).

CoL will be quite similar, (food / staples / capital goods)
......(buying home is more in CA, rent similar, tho less in OR)
Income Taxes similar in OR, but ZERO 7 min north of Portland.
No sales tax in OR (that's nice if you are in Consumer Mode)

Left coast is pretty similar in 'outdoors recreation, mobility, politics, religion'.
Not a huge change (excluding weather)
Bring some indoor hobbies, be prepared to do EVERYTHING in the drizzle, 80 days of summer (dry) beginning on 5 July.

Have your firewood under cover by Nov 1
Buy a LOT of air tickets to SoCA for Nov - Apr ($69 at the moment) OW

Good transportation in Portland you can get most places in 20 min (Traffic is not a problem if you can go 'off-hours' (work night shift - more LIGHT exposure!,every 'DAY(light)' is a day off!) I did this for 28 yrs, it was GREAT (more pay, no bosses, no cry-baby dayshifters)

Lots of coffee, brew pubs, music gigs, food options, crafts and culture (~20 colleges within 40 miles)
Outdoor recreation is accessible within 20 -30 min. Coast / volcano / skiing / windsurfing is 1 hr.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 PM

16 posts, read 18,871 times
I sincerely appreciate the input

Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Bring some Philippe's Mustard!
And their French Dip Sandwichs and Beef Stew (And pies)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe%27s

Bring a Rubio's too.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Default LA to Portland?

Hmm, no.... never heard of such a move...

Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 PM

218 posts, read 244,766 times
I did the move in the late 70's from San Fernando Valley. Lived there for about a year. Portland is a nice city, cleaner than LA even on it`s bad days. Rains allot sometimes snows. Don't go to N.E Portland much but like most of the rest of it. Don't live there anymore, moved to S. Oregon, but have some good memories. Liked the music scene and culture.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:52 PM

5 posts, read 3,638 times
I grew up mainly in Bakersfield but spent time in LA also. My husband and I moved to Beaverton (Portland suburb) 11 years ago and we are now looking at moving out of state again. There are a lot of CA transplants here, so you'd fit in fine. It is cheaper/smaller than LA but Portland is still a big city with it's fair share of big city issues similar to LA. It seems like Portland traffic has really gotten worse in the last 4-5 years. Public transportation has gotten more crowded too. Huge homeless issue downtown. I work downtown. It's less than a 12 mile drive but takes me 45 minutes most days if I leave when traffic isn't too heavy. I pay $12.25/day to park. I could, and used to, take the MAX train but it's gotten so sketchy that I just gave up and do the drive and work from home when I can. A lot of people bike to work, so that may be an option for you. But it really does rain a lot here. You can count on about 9 months of mostly dreary, drizzly days. On the plus side, we have much better air quality and it's greener than LA.

As far as housing costs go, we bought our home in 2008 so at an excellent time. We just listed it for more than double what we paid. We have done a lot of improvements, but still. We have a new baby so we're cashing out and moving to a cheaper state. I think Portland's heyday is over. You may want to look into Boise or Reno. Idaho is currently the fastest growing state so it's experiencing a boom, but your money will go much further in either of those cities and you'll have less traffic than Portland. And more sun. The lack of sun here is kind of an issue. The rain was a novelty for us the first few years, but you get sick and tired of the constant darkness and wet. It just drains your energy.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: