Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times

Advertisements

I don't live there, Rocky, but have gone up to Ashland (beautiful Lithia Park, two great healthfood stores, good restaurants) and usually on to Medford for shopping at Walmart and Costco (I live in Northern Cal, lots of people go up to Oregon from here to take advantage of no sales tax.)

Ashland's the prettiest town in that area, though you'd have to be rolling in money to afford a house there. I sure wouldn't mind seeing some of Dan's Ashland pics here on this thread, if that's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 09:41 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,798 times
Hi Woof:

Since you brought up Lithia park, here is a picture that does not do it justice..

Dan

Old 12-18-2006, 10:39 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,994 times
I found the local paper online - for Roseburg/Douglas Co. It reminds me of something I'd forgotten, ie, the timber industry, where ever it stands today. I didn't see a lot of job-ops and housing costs look a tad high compared to incomes offered. I'll do more research on the area and on Ashland but I'm concerned as, if there are no jobs in my current profession (which includes free rent, utilities) - well, the risk is bothering me. My wife will only eat so much fish - is there more to the picture? Thanks ..... Rocky

Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,798 times
Hi Rocky:

You can call some Realtors in Roseburg to find out if there are any openings for on-sight property management in the area. There are a lot of apartments and mobile home parks in the area. I'll chick to see if I have still have your email address so I can send you the rest of my Roseburg pictures. I took a lot of pictures of homes in the area but did not want to post them here on the forum because of privacy issues.

Dan

Old 07-14-2007, 12:35 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times
Hey Dan,
I'm in love with litia Park. If you Oregonians don't want people moving to your state you should never show such breath taking photos!!! Imagining what it is like in real life defies verbal description.
I was just sittinging here, promising myself that I would not read anymore posts, I am becoming addicted to this site. Missing deadlines...
Originally joined looking for help deciding between a move to El Paso, Tx and NM from MN. I guess most people who absolutely need low(er) humidity, like me - MN is though - don't consider Oregon. People hadn't directly addressed it until this thread.
Damp climate do me in - I actually the clouds but my joints don't. Love foliage, too. Thanks for letting me imagine ... Maybe a world with low humidity, fog (yes, someone mentioned inversion), and "average cost of living".
I'll take my pleasant memories, sign off and check in again later.

Thanks everyone.
Jeanne

Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
Default news

Here's a link to the Medford newspaper: Mailtribune.com - Mailtribune.com

I lived in the Rogue Valley (Medford area) for many years, and finally left because of a job opportunity for DH, as well as to be closer to his family for a bit. Also, the schools in Oregon are not that great, which shouldn't matter to you, I'd guess. The cost of living is high there, but it sounds like housing costs have gone down a bit. It's a very fast growing area.

There is almost no humidity there. We never owned a snow shovel there either, but could drive to the snow when we wanted to play in it.

It's a very popular place to retire. My own parents are mad that we decided to move, as they had planned to retire there.....

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:17 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Old Melrose Road follows the South Umpqua, and is quite picturesque. Melrose is fairly near, but across the river from, River Forks Park, where the North and South Umpqua come together to form the main Umpqua River. Between the north, south and main Umpqua, there is a lot of riverfront property in that area.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:52 PM

174 posts, read 940,676 times
Default Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
It's a very popular place to retire. My own parents are mad that we decided to move, as they had planned to retire there.....

Good luck.
Mine too!!!!! We went from Cottage Grove to Montana and my mom was livid!!!! Then we mistakenly went to Spokane and are going to retreat back to MT. I would go back to Oregon but I just cannot stand the rain anymore. 19 years was enough.

Patti

Old 07-14-2007, 03:02 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
I found the local paper online - for Roseburg/Douglas Co. It reminds me of something I'd forgotten, ie, the timber industry, where ever it stands today. I didn't see a lot of job-ops and housing costs look a tad high compared to incomes offered. I'll do more research on the area and on Ashland but I'm concerned as, if there are no jobs in my current profession (which includes free rent, utilities) - well, the risk is bothering me. My wife will only eat so much fish - is there more to the picture? Thanks ..... Rocky
The Roseburg Rod and Gun Club is looking for a live-in grounds keeper for their 100 acre facility. 541-673-5616. It's an ideal situation for a semi-retired couple in good health. It's a gated facility, so the yoyo traffic is minimal. Noisy on weekend mornings, though.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:00 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
When there is at least 15 degrees of separation between the ambient air temperature and the dew point temperature, the level of humidity is comfortable...even with temperatures in the 50's. When there is less than 10 degrees of separation, the air tends to feel rather cold and clammy (hot and muggy almost never happens as summers here are dry). This occurs most often on the coast, and during the winter and spring in the Willamette Valley. Locations east of the Cascades and the Rogue River Valley are the places least likely to have long stretches where this narrow dew point gap is likely to crop up during the daytime.
Exactly...there are a lot of misconceptions about the Pacific Northwest. One is that it is humid. Yes, it is, but only during the cool months, so in the warm months you hardly ever feel it. (In 7 years in Eugene I remember just a few humid days, and still nothing compared to east of the Rockies. Relative humidity is high from November through March. Don't even worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon