Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times

Advertisements

I was riding through Troutdale a few weeks ago and noticed the attendants out there at the truck stops and Chevron. What's with the guys in overalls and reflective vests out there directing traffic through the stations all the time?

Oh that's right, I'm in Oregon. Duhhh.

Shows you how often I get gas there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Pressure your legislative representative to get the PERs problem done. The T-1 retirees with matching and noncontribution (state picked up employee share, and those who chose guarantee bonds but were given the much higher variable return rates) must do their part in the overall solution.
This ^^^ would require Thinking, Acting, Voting, Doing something politicians, (That is asking a lot)

THEN they would have a 'voting record' and might be held accountable at election time (That is asking the impossible).

Let's just argue about a SURE thing that requires no risk; "Self Service Gas"... A convenient diversion from accountability.

After all.. 17 reasons WHY to be a nanny state for gas pumping took a lot of late night dreaming.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:07 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
in a few years, no one is going to enforce Oregon's requirement, other than those who need this type of job.
Costco, Fred Meyer and Arco stations will retain pump amendments because they enhance and speed up the pumping this make money for the station.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
It's in the interest of the big retailers to retain pump attendants, as it would be very 'Oregon-like' to boycott those would would be rogue stations (allowing SS).

Will be interesting to see in 5 yrs. I expect MORE / equal regulation on SS pumping.

If I live 5 more yrs, I'll report back. (Potential short-longevity since grew up working in a service station and weened on the smokestack of a diesel farm tractor 16 hrs / day, so have I pumped a lot of gas and inhaled many adverse chemicals and buckets of radio-active dirt (Colorado / NM soils are very high in U/92))

Now... after 50+ yrs of paying SS tax... If I was only eligible and able to afford HC in USA!
I usually get my care where I can afford it... outside of USA

Old 05-11-2019, 11:01 AM

I always had my exhaust out of the bottom and from the rear.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Pressure your legislative representative to get the PERs problem done. The T-1 retirees with matching and noncontribution (state picked up employee share, and those who chose guarantee bonds but were given the much higher variable return rates) must do their part in the overall solution.
The PERS problem was as solved as it's going to get 16 years ago, when they closed PERS. The only thing to do now is pay the bill they racked up by not funding pensions when they were earned. They tried a tax to pay for it, but they proposed a permanent tax to solve a temporary problem. Like the majority of Oregonians, I voted against it. If they proposed a tax that would drop as pension recipients die off and finally disappear when it was no longer necessary, I would vote for that. I'm not going to vote to stick the next generation with an unnecessary tax when PERS is ancient history.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 PM

Paying for T1 retirees will put education and services at risk for a long time. What was that gladfly who fought PERs in the 80',s and ,90's?

Old 05-19-2019, 11:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Paying for T1 retirees will put education and services at risk for a long time. What was that gladfly who fought PERs in the 80',s and ,90's?
T1 was eliminated in 1995, which just removed the 8% guaranteed return. All hires between 1996 and 2003 were T2, and their accounts went up and down with market returns. Employers still made no attempt to fund the pension system, and of course the markets have made huge gains since 1996. Even T1 employees could put half of their contributions into a variable account that tracked the markets, and in most years the returns were far above 8%.

When PERS was eliminated in 2003 they removed all employer responsibility, but they still have to live up to the original contract. The last of the T1 employees will retire 7 years from now, in 2026, but there will only be a fraction of T1 employees still living.

Time will cure the problem, but it's an object lesson in incurring unfunded liabilities. The whole problem could have been avoided if the state had funded the pensions when they were earned.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:57 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
PERS discussion is off-topic for this thread. Since the discussion is reasonable and adult it stands (political discussion that turns partisan gets deleted and moved to the Politics forum). For other posters coming to this thread who would like to continue a PERS discussion, please do a search on PERS in the Oregon forum - it has been discussed many times.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-20-2019, 06:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I suppose we'll all be driving electric cars someday and this will go away. But for now, I say: don't give it up, Oregonians! In most states you have to pump it yourself, sometimes stinking up your hands. And the price isn't any lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon