Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:04 PM

497 posts, read 484,144 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at switching over to a credit union. I have read reviews on many of the credit unions open to the general public (Unitus, On-Point, First Tech, Etc..). They all seem to be a mix of people that either really love them, or hate them with a passion. Not a lot of middle ground and it doesn't help with the decision making process. I'm looking for honest recommendations based on personal experience. At this point, I'm only interested in checking, but once I pay down some personal debt I will likely be interested in a home loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 07:27 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Unitus is very good. Been with them since early 80's. Previously they were Oregon Telco CU with their main branch. I always used the ATMs. Later they opened branch offices (salem, where I used their facilities-by FredMeyer Lancaster). Their 29 (personal line of credit) account is very good.

I had First Tech while in Beaverton. They didn't have an office in Salem until much later. No complaints. But haven't used them in 30 years.

Last 4 years I been using OregonState CU more, b/c they have a branch in WestSalem. Convenience. Their Credit Card is very good and their personal line of credit isn't too bad. The personal unsecured loan, installment is very good as is their auto loans.

Washington Federal Savings, my first bank some 55 ya. Left them when I moved out of state. Returned but never restarted the banking relationship until a year ago. WestSalem branch. I restarted the relationship because they have a branch in Seattle International District (near to train station) and on the route to son's place. Also they have a branch a couple of blocks from our new home in Redmond WA. Convenience. They also have pretty good coffee (better than Chase).

I've built up a relationship with all them. I know them by name they know me by name. Mostly for convenience. With OregonStateCU, I relatively small personal and credit card debt because I was keeping two households for 9 months, but this will be worked down in a year. I will close Unitus as soon as my SS check is moved to Washington and eventually close OSCU.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
We've been with Oregon Community Credit Union for years. We really like their Checking account. You actually earn 1.35% a month if you meet certain qualifications, like direct deposit, using the debit card at least 8 times a month. I believe it's up to $20,000 in the account.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:01 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I really liked Rogue Credit Union when I lived in the PNW.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:30 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Selco is good and they are pleasant and easy to work with. I've used them for savings, checking, wiring money, a car loan, and a commercial business account.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:18 PM

497 posts, read 484,144 times
Thank you for the replies, will look into your suggestions.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:47 PM

218 posts, read 244,355 times
USAA if you're a Vet is one of the best. I think even if you're not a Vet you can join. We bought a second home through them and their one of the lowest rates you can find.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:03 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
I would also suggest looking at rates. Most will publish generic rates on their websites. Even if you know you won't qualify for that rate, the lower the better. I'd also look at fees for things you might want to use them for (cashier's check for example). Sometimes, the best CU's have high fees. Sometimes not. Where I live, there's 2. I chose it based off of the auto loan rates, the other one has fancier things (better tech), but the rates are at least 0.5-0.75% higher. That's not a lot, but it adds up.

Lastly, if you don't think you're going to move out of the area, look into CU's that are local to your city/county - either where you live, work, or even pray (some go off of the church you attend); some of them have perks that others may not. For example, did you know very few banks do floating home loans? LOL. Just saying, sometimes where you live, work, pray makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
USAA if you're a Vet is one of the best. I think even if you're not a Vet you can join. We bought a second home through them and their one of the lowest rates you can find.
One downside of this.....just an FYI, you can't put cash into the account. I had to open an account with a local credit union so I could deposit cash into that account, then transfer it to my main bank, which is USAA. Ugh! Also, Navy Federal has some great rates if you know anyone who is Navy (can even be a roommate I think - I got my BF an account and we just lived together, not married or anything like that).

Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 PM

218 posts, read 244,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I would also suggest looking at rates. Most will publish generic rates on their websites. Even if you know you won't qualify for that rate, the lower the better. I'd also look at fees for things you might want to use them for (cashier's check for example). Sometimes, the best CU's have high fees. Sometimes not. Where I live, there's 2. I chose it based off of the auto loan rates, the other one has fancier things (better tech), but the rates are at least 0.5-0.75% higher. That's not a lot, but it adds up.

Lastly, if you don't think you're going to move out of the area, look into CU's that are local to your city/county - either where you live, work, or even pray (some go off of the church you attend); some of them have perks that others may not. For example, did you know very few banks do floating home loans? LOL. Just saying, sometimes where you live, work, pray makes a difference.

One downside of this.....just an FYI, you can't put cash into the account. I had to open an account with a local credit union so I could deposit cash into that account, then transfer it to my main bank, which is USAA. Ugh! Also, Navy Federal has some great rates if you know anyone who is Navy (can even be a roommate I think - I got my BF an account and we just lived together, not married or anything like that).
You're right about cash deposits with USAA, however I have other local accounts to deposit into, transfering money is pretty easy. Mostly I use USAA for direct deposits and paying bills. Their credit card rate is one of the lowest, although I don't use credit much.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:07 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
You're right about cash deposits with USAA, however I have other local accounts to deposit into, transfering money is pretty easy. Mostly I use USAA for direct deposits and paying bills. Their credit card rate is one of the lowest, although I don't use credit much.

USAA is my main checking/savings account. I just hate that you can't go to a credit union and deposit cash, like you can with credit unions that are "linked" (can't recall what you call it, but most CU's you can deposit cash into any "linked" bank and it goes to yours). I just disliked the fact that I had to open up, yet another bank account, just so I could deposit cash.

I will say, I LOVE that USAA refunds up to $15/mo for non-USAA ATM fees. My BF is the type that just pulls money wherever it's convenient, so that was a must have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon