Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:59 PM

331 posts, read 1,845,390 times

Advertisements

Rush hour traffic in Brookings, Oregon..

The beautiful Oregon coast..

Hope you enjoyed the tour of Brookings, OR!

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM

27 posts, read 200,331 times
Default Love your pictures

Hey Dan, it is nice to see your pictures from all the other towns you visited. I especially got a kick out of the picture of rush hour traffic in Brookings. You have done a great service to all of us that live too far away to visit all of these towns. We can get a feel for the town through your pictures.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,833,453 times
Those are some good pictures Dan. Oh my gosh! I've been to that McDonald's. Sometimes when we are going south we stop in at Brookings.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:59 PM

14 posts, read 76,286 times
Great photos but where is all the traffic? Brookings was actually like that when we first moved here in October of 2002. Now there is a LOT more traffic. Why just today my dog and I had a heck of a time getting across Highway 101 on the way back from a walk to the beach!!!

Brookings is PARADISE though...DESPITE all the traffic.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 53,642 times
I have seen you post alot here and i am wondering what you think of the salem area and if you may have any pictures available if so you can email them to me and i would really appriate it

Old 12-18-2006, 10:11 PM

331 posts, read 1,845,390 times
Hi Gus and Kim:

I just looked through my pictures again because I thought I remembered taking a picture as we cruised Commercial Street in Salem. I lived in Salem and worked at KBZY Radio, which was on Commercial Street. It looked pretty much the same to me. Properly named because of all the businesses on it. I wanted Vickie to see the Capital but we did not stay long. I liked living in Salem better than I liked living in Portland. I thought the weather was harsher in Portland with higher winds, ice, and occasional snow. Property taxes are high in Salem, which I consider the only negative to living there. There are a lot of nice communities around Salem that are small and nice like the little town of Scio. Pronounced without the c. S eye O. Statton is also very nice as is Independence not far away. I learned to fly at Salem McNary Field in a Piper J Cub. I fished on the Willamette but I missed the mountains I learned to love that surround Roseburg. No, Salem is a nice area. I would recommend it without reservation.

Dan

Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 PM

7 posts, read 53,642 times
thanks so much for the helpful information on salem. me and my husband want to move there due to low house prices but by any chance do you know any zip codes i might consider looking into. i would love a small town but close to the city, i dont mind paying high taxes but thanks for the info. the reason for the move to either salem or portland is because my husband works for pepsi and he is eligible for transfer in late january. oh and by the way if you happen to find any pic's of salem i would love to see them.

Hi Gus and Kim:

I thought I took one of Commercial Street and can't find it for some reason. It is no longer on my computer anyway. Salem is a very pretty city with lots of parks. Commercial, four lanes wide with two lanes in each direction, is just lined with restaurants, car dealers, tire stores, you name it. You might want to look at some of the quiet cities that surround Salem too.

I deleted your email address because it could be used to send you Spam.

Dan

Last edited by Clear2land; 12-18-2006 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: added email

Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,449,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanelaine View Post
Brookings is PARADISE though...DESPITE all the traffic.
Well...it's a qualified paradise for some preferences. For thermophobes -- people who hate warmth above all -- Brookings is great. Remember Twain's famous saying about the coldest winter he ever spent being a summer in San Francisco? Well Brookings runs about 5 degrees cooler than SF in the summer. High's in the mid 50's are common in July and August (don't look for locally-grown tomatoes at the Farmers Market).
We also have one of the cloudiest climates south of Alaska, with an average 236 overcast days a year. Yup, that's the number of days with NO sun. On top of that we have 54 partly sunny days. So Dan did well to hit one of our 71 clear days. So if either gloom or pervasive chill gets you down, Brookings will not be paradise for you.

P.S. That third photo really shows how putting the utility lines underground in the downtown revitalization project has improved the appearance of Chetco Ave. The last photo is of the Chetco River estuary. Here is a picture of the actual coast, taken from the trail above Thunder Rock Cove:

Old 02-25-2007, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 14,828 times
Hi,
We are thinking of movig to Brookings and plan a visit this Spring but being you live there can we ask you a couple of questions? Your opinion.....

How many sunny or partly sunny days a year does the area get?
Why are there so many near elderly folks in the area?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:43 AM

43 posts, read 344,877 times
cool pics. Brookings is really pretty. My favorite spot on the oregon coast. As with pretty much everywhere else on the coast, I just wish people weren't so damn narrow minded.

beautiful brookings-harbor

http://myspace-594.vo.llnwd.net/00008/49/56/8736594_l.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon