U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 PM

16 posts, read 10,255 times

Advertisements

I work from home and have a low quality of health so I am looking for that "perfect place" that doesn't exist, but hoping someone will have some suggestions of where to move in Oregon based off my list below.

1. Clean air year round - if possible, i know the warmer can usually mean worse air and forest fires
2. Moderate temps - 4 seasons, low humidity
3. Lower Population - between 1k -90k population.
4. Affordable - homes renting under $1k and small homes selling under $150k
5. Forest - want to live in more rural settings, in forest or near river or lake, I love the outdoors
6. Natural Living - organic foods, farmer market, farm to table, local buying, medical marijuana
7. Community - eco friendly folks, hippies, spiritual openness, intellectuals, community connection

Thank you so much for any suggestion it is VERY appreciated!!

Last edited by Kamgoulove; 05-29-2019 at 07:39 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 07:24 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,148,230 times
Nothing like that in Oregon that I can think of.

I would suggest Costa Rica.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,606,464 times
Well, the Applegate / Ruch / Williams probably hits most of the things on the list (as does Ashland), but nothing in any of those areas is even close to the affordability of #4 on your list. The smoke from the summer fires has been very bad the last couple years, too, as in weeks of unhealthy air quality.

The median house price in Ashland is $465,000. Out in the Applegate the price varies quite a bit, as many properties include acreage, which is always expensive in Oregon, but the bottom line seems to be in the $300,000 and above range.

Also, if you work from home and need good internet, many rural areas in Oregon outside of town boundaries don't yet have high speed internet.

All of Western Oregon has the damp, cool, rainy winter, it's pretty much just a matter of how much rain (between 18" a year and 90" a year).
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-29-2019, 08:03 PM

86 posts, read 240,493 times
Which items on your list are requirements, and which are just bonus features? Because yeah, nothing exists in Oregon that meets all your criteria. The air quality alone rules out the majority of the state between the coast range and the high desert. The remaining areas fail on either budget, climate, or community.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Well, the Applegate / Ruch / Williams probably hits most of the things on the list (as does Ashland), but nothing in any of those areas is even close to the affordability of #4 on your list. The smoke from the summer fires has been very bad the last couple years, too, as in weeks of unhealthy air quality.

The median house price in Ashland is $465,000. Out in the Applegate the price varies quite a bit, as many properties include acreage, which is always expensive in Oregon, but the bottom line seems to be in the $300,000 and above range.

Also, if you work from home and need good internet, many rural areas in Oregon outside of town boundaries don't yet have high speed internet.

All of Western Oregon has the damp, cool, rainy winter, it's pretty much just a matter of how much rain (between 18" a year and 90" a year).
Thank you for such a detailed response, its greatly appreciated. I didn't realize how expensive OR had become over the last 10 years. I expect bad air quality from fires anywhere there is a forest, but sad to hear they have been so bad in recent years. I definitely know I wouldn't want to live along the coast, and anytime i've visited any where in OR it seems that rain is present or just around the corner. I will check out the places you mentioned at the beginning of your post and see what rentals are like and also pricing in the surrounding areas around those areas (and i'll make sure to check if the area gets high speed internet yet).
This has been a great help, thank you so much for replying!

Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 PM

231 posts, read 149,331 times
I don't know of any place that meets ALL your criteria. But reading the list and between the lines in terms of the cultural element... it made me think of Takilma in Josephine Co.

Lots of pot growers out there, a much smaller community than you'd prefer, air will likely be smoky in the summer, houses more expensive (but better than a lot of places in OR), hot and dry in the summer, rainy enough in the winter to support the forest, great rivers and lakes, eco-aware, organic farming, some communal living, alternative type folks and excellent tie dye. Closest small town of any substance is Cave Junction (quite close), then north to Grants Pass for a small city, or out to the coast for Brookings.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver13 View Post
Which items on your list are requirements, and which are just bonus features? Because yeah, nothing exists in Oregon that meets all your criteria. The air quality alone rules out the majority of the state between the coast range and the high desert. The remaining areas fail on either budget, climate, or community.
My top three are
1. Natural living - i need a place that has health food stores of some kind or at least within 30 minutes
2. Affordable - paying off student debt and also need to start saving
3. Weather - i've lived in places with 50" of rain or 30" of snow and 150 days of sunshine yrly, and didnt like it.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW to NEPA View Post
I don't know of any place that meets ALL your criteria. But reading the list and between the lines in terms of the cultural element... it made me think of Takilma in Josephine Co.

Lots of pot growers out there, a much smaller community than you'd prefer, air will likely be smoky in the summer, houses more expensive (but better than a lot of places in OR), hot and dry in the summer, rainy enough in the winter to support the forest, great rivers and lakes, eco-aware, organic farming, some communal living, alternative type folks and excellent tie dye. Closest small town of any substance is Cave Junction (quite close), then north to Grants Pass for a small city, or out to the coast for Brookings.
Now we're talking woohoo!
Just did some research on the area and while its obviously smaller I do well in teeny towns and enjoy them very much. I also like the rainfall and sunny avg days per year and the yearly avg weather looked good too. Ahh!! I'm gonna do more research and take a trip there this summer, ah yay! You've given me hope, haha. Seriously, thank you so much for your time to give a response I greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:01 PM

218 posts, read 138,906 times
You didn't say where your coming from. I think anywhere in the Rogue Valley would fit your needs. Medford, Ashland, Grants Pass and any of the little out lying communities. However, I think Klamath Falls gets over looked allot. Yes it's colder in the winter but nice most of the rest of the year. Maybe a bit more conservative, but there is an active counter culture and cost of living is way cheaper than Medford. Medford has more stores and things to do, if your into shopping or live music and hippie stuff, then again most of that cost money. Klamath is a bit more laid back and has less gang activity, maybe because there are less people. I don't know.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 PM

14,687 posts, read 35,517,165 times
It doesn't meet all of your criteria but McMinnville might work. Maybe Joseph? Silverton would work too except for the housing price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon