Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 08:34 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

I suspect that burying a 5,000 gallon tank in the Sycan area might be a bit expensive. That's a very rocky area. But Johnny Z is correct. You can't just set your water tank on top of the ground and leave it unprotected from the elements and from freezing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 08:44 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
Keep in mind the Sycan KFFE is about 5000 feet and winter starts early and it gets very cold, even a 3000 gal tank can freeze. It would be best to bury it. Insulation isn't going to do it.And without electricty heat tape won't work. Burying it is pretty common how its done around there. There are a few locals with backhoe's who could do it, I have no idea what they would charge. BTW I know a few people up there who draft their water out of the Sycan River. Probably not the thing she wants to do. It's kind of like living in a 3rd world country
That's an important point perhaps lost on those not familiar with the Pacific Northwest. 5,000 ft is higher elevation than Government Camp on the slope of Mt. Hood (3900 ft) and higher than Santiam Pass between Salem and Bend (4,800 ft).

Old 09-26-2019, 09:40 AM

218 posts, read 244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that burying a 5,000 gallon tank in the Sycan area might be a bit expensive. That's a very rocky area. But Johnny Z is correct. You can't just set your water tank on top of the ground and leave it unprotected from the elements and from freezing.

I think you're right, some of it is pummy and some of it is rockscab, kind of depends on the location. I haven't done any digging in the area, but I've never heard of any special problem putting in a septic system up there.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:14 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
You don't need to worry about the big tank of water freezing. That much water holds a lot of heat, and 6" of insulation will keep it liquid just fine. What you need to worry about is the pump and piping. That's why I built an insulated shed around mine. The cistern provides enough heat to keep the small stuff from freezing.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:53 PM

218 posts, read 244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You don't need to worry about the big tank of water freezing. That much water holds a lot of heat, and 6" of insulation will keep it liquid just fine. What you need to worry about is the pump and piping. That's why I built an insulated shed around mine. The cistern provides enough heat to keep the small stuff from freezing.

Bad information.

It can get 20 below out there and stays there for weeks.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:54 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
Bad information.

It can get 20 below out there and stays there for weeks.
No, it doesn't. K Falls is not Nome. 20 above is more like it. 20 below is the all-time record low temp, and it didn't stay there.

https://weatherspark.com/y/1210/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Old 09-27-2019, 08:51 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't. K Falls is not Nome. 20 above is more like it. 20 below is the all-time record low temp, and it didn't stay there.

I think that table land we are talking about is about 1,000 ft higher elevation than the city of Klamath Falls so it is going to be somewhat colder in winter. But not 40 degrees colder obviously.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:16 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:

20°F is still cold enough to freeze water. The average high temperature in Klamath Falls in January is 38°F. Subtract 4°F for an extra 1,000 feet of elevation. That would put the average high temperature at the OPs location at about 34°F for January. So on average it would barely get above freezing in the winter. A cold streak with temperatures just slightly below average, could keep the temperatures below freezing for an extended period of time, possible even all the way through January. Everything I understand about how water freezes, would tell me that the chance of a water tank freezing up in those conditions would be good. It would not be a question of "if" it would happen, but rather "when".

I hope the OP has considered that.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:29 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Relatively speaking, when I lived out that way on Agency Lake, the lake "protected" our area from extreme highs and lows. In general, in winter we were about the same as Klamath Falls (even though we were at 4,400'), but about 10° warmer than Chiloquin, just 6 miles away, which was then about 5° warmer than Sprague River over in the next valley. We had a group that got together about twice a month and had a few members from Sprague River and would share weather data. That Sprague River - Beatty - Bly valley is a bit of a trapped valley cold sink for the surrounding mountains.

Also, when you are looking at temps, be sure that whatever site you use isn't just using Klamath Falls airport weather - it's tough to find actual Sprague River temps, Bly is probably worse. Some of the personal weather station data is unreliable as the equipment might not be calibrated and it might not be located correctly.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-27-2019, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,984 times
�� Whoops didn't see the whole 3rd page so the info I posted was unnecessary. ��

Last edited by Neighbor2theNorth; 09-27-2019 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Whoops didn't see the whole 3rd page so the info I posted was unnecessary. ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon