Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 05:19 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,471,805 times

Advertisements

Not all of us, just the unlucky who happen to be on the coast at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 07:02 AM

15,207 posts, read 8,814,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
So why don't you just enjoy your life in the city, and let the rest of us enjoy our lives in nature, without your FUD?

Old 09-21-2020, 02:15 PM

26,506 posts, read 36,370,326 times
Quote:
Those of us living on the coast are quite aware of the issue without some sticky on City-Data. Perhaps you should concern yourself with your own back yard.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n..._portland.html

Quote:
For the first time in 20 years, Portlanders are getting a detailed look at the damage that will be caused by a catastrophe we all know is coming — a major earthquake striking the metro area — and the prospects are grim.

The assessment comes in a new report published Thursday by the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries and includes some stark numbers. In a worst-case scenario, the metro area could see more than $80 billion in building damage, tens of thousands of people wounded or killed and more than 250,000 people facing long-term displacement.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-21-2020 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-22-2020, 01:29 PM

Actually my building is doing disaster planning, I have signed up for the PDX NET training - have you? I have a chance of surviving a major earthquake in Portland metro, coast residents have no chance.

The city tried to designate unreinforced brick buildings a couple years ago but the effected property owners raised a huge stink.

Most of our bridges will likely fail. The oil tanks in Linnton now have retainment walls but are they adequate???

One of the problems in Seattle when they had a moderate earthquake is that homes were not tied to their foundations. Everyone should verify that their home is well anchored.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:44 PM

26,506 posts, read 36,370,326 times
Quote:
Actually my building is doing disaster planning, I have signed up for the PDX NET training - have you? I have a chance of surviving a major earthquake in Portland metro, coast residents have no chance.
Actually, my whole town is "doing disaster planning" and has been for years. No, I haven't signed up for PDX NET training -- it's only available to Portland residents., and I'm not interested in moving to that cesspool.

Actually, there's a substantial chance I'll survive an earthquake if one happens during my time here. So will quite a few others. I don't know where you've gotten your idea that everyone who lives on the coast is going to die. I'll take the word of this organization instead of yours.

Quote:
"Are people going to die during a Cascadia earthquake? Yes, but more people are going to survive."
https://kcby.com/news/local/are-peop...g-one-playbook

I suggest you stay away from the coast if you're scared, Nell. I'm not sure why you persist in thinking that those of us who live here are unaware of the Cascadia Subduction Zone, but we can't all drop everything and pack up and run the way you obviously think we should.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-22-2020 at 03:07 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 03:57 PM

10,006 posts, read 7,152,538 times
A geologist professor I had said that the chances of a "big one" cascadia subduction zone quake happenning are about 1 in 6 in our lifetimes. They'll airlift the people out quickly enough. There will be some airports hopefully intact.

In his view, after it happens, most of the area west of the Coastal Range will become a national park. His recommendation was to keep food and water supplies for 2-4 weeks available.

The Cascadia Subduction Zone runs from Northern California to British Columbia. There are going to be a LOT of people in distress when it finally happens. Seattle will be hit hard too.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:10 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,528,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
A geologist professor I had said that the chances of a "big one" cascadia subduction zone quake happenning are about 1 in 6 in our lifetimes. They'll airlift the people out quickly enough. There will be some airports hopefully intact.

In his view, after it happens, most of the area west of the Coastal Range will become a national park. His recommendation was to keep food and water supplies for 2-4 weeks available.

The Cascadia Subduction Zone runs from Northern California to British Columbia. There are going to be a LOT of people in distress when it finally happens. Seattle will be hit hard too.
Was it Nick Zentner? I love his geology videos. He is an excellent teacher.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:24 PM

328 posts, read 423,916 times
Quote:
Was it Nick Zentner? I love his geology videos. He is an excellent teacher.
he really is! have you been watching his livestreams?

Old 09-28-2020, 09:58 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,528,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
he really is! have you been watching his livestreams?
I don't think so. I've watched his yt videos, some on his web site, and what is it, Nick Rocks, or something like that. I was binge watching him for awhile, lol. I was even thinking of moving to Ellensburg, Washington where he teaches so I could go to his adult education classes, and take his field trips. Although I can't tell one rock from another, it sounds like so much fun. He makes learning exciting. If you have a link to his livestreams please add it, thanks.

Nevermind, I found it on y/t. I have seen a couple of these. I've been distracted lately with all that has been going on, and need to get busy, and watch again. Here is one video in case anybody else would like to watch. His other videos in this series is listed on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEA...gh_B5R&index=1

Last edited by mlulu23; 09-28-2020 at 10:40 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 10:43 PM

Nick Zenter is an excellant teacher but he is a professor in WA state, after all, and he needs to provide lectures for his constituancy. He has a couple of excellent Cascadia Fault lectures and one discussing the movement of plates in the PNW, stuff none of us would know about until he shared. His lectures are informative and entertaining... unless you want to watch those about obscure rock formations in eastern Washington (boring IMHO),

An Oregon geologist did a presentation to a group in Bremerton that is excellent. Because the potential of a rupture of the Cascadia fault is such a sore subject to some PM me and I will send a link to the YouTube video of that presentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon