Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 01:06 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,418,886 times

Advertisements

If you do not want "touristy", stay south of Newport.
North of Newport is geared to the day tripping Portland crowd.

BTW, there is NO WAY you can avoid tourists at the coast, whether they be RVer's, local retirees, day trippers from Portland, summer vacationers, people doing the 101 drive north or south, etc.....

It used to be fairly quiet during the winter months, and it still is relatively, but there will ALWAYS be tourists on the Oregon Coast wherever you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 02:04 PM

5,341 posts, read 7,616,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
If you do not want "touristy", stay south of Newport.
North of Newport is geared to the day tripping Portland crowd.

BTW, there is NO WAY you can avoid tourists at the coast, whether they be RVer's, local retirees, day trippers from Portland, summer vacationers, people doing the 101 drive north or south, etc.....

It used to be fairly quiet during the winter months, and it still is relatively, but there will ALWAYS be tourists on the Oregon Coast wherever you go.
The least touristy towns are all those that are close to the coast but on bays or rivers and not actually beachfront as they all have some other economic reason to exist beyond providing vacation lodging and dining for tourists.

Tillamook (actual town not the cheese factory down the road)
Coos Bay/North Bend
Reedsport
Astoria
etc.

The most touristy towns are those that are centered on beaches and don't have actual working harbors for any other type of coastal industry and are mostly located in the northern coast as pdxMIKE says.

Lincoln City
Canon Beach
Manzanita
Seaside
Rockaway Beach
etc.

But Highway 101 is BY FAR the most tourist-traveled highway in Oregon so any town along 101 is going to see an endless stream of tourists during the summer, even if they are on the way to someplace else.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:37 PM

HAHA, if you want the least most touristy town on the Oregon Coast, choose Reedsport.

Astoria is VERY touristy but it's not obvious.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
HAHA, if you want the least most touristy town on the Oregon Coast, choose Reedsport.

Astoria is VERY touristy but it's not obvious.
Astoria has a touristy downtown and waterfront but the rest of the city is filled with more regular businesses and it has its own local economy based on shipping, fishing, etc. not just tourism. So the density of tourist things like AirB&Bs in Astoria is going to be about 1/10th what it is in say Seaside or Lincoln City. Mainly because the nearest beaches are 8-10 miles away.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:10 PM

22 posts, read 37,067 times
To me Seaside is too touristy.. so is Rockaway Beach and a few other spots away from bays like texasdiver mentioned. What about some towns off the 101 like Oceanside or Netarts? We would like to live in a nice community still, not just airbnb's...

We do need to visit the south coast, seems like it doesn't get as many tourists.. maybe next summer!

Old 10-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarugeorge View Post
To me Seaside is too touristy.. so is Rockaway Beach and a few other spots away from bays like texasdiver mentioned. What about some towns off the 101 like Oceanside or Netarts? We would like to live in a nice community still, not just airbnb's...

We do need to visit the south coast, seems like it doesn't get as many tourists.. maybe next summer!
I love Oceanside and Netarts. That is where we most often go for weekend airb&b trips when friends visit. But they are really nothing more than collections of houses. There is one or two cafes in Oceanside that randomly seem to open during the tourist season. In Netarts there are two tiny general stores and one or two restaurants. And that's it. Otherwise you will be driving to the Fred Meyer outside Tillamook for every single thing you ever need to buy and that's a 10.5 miles 20 minute drive which I have made many many times.

Nice place for a weekend or week-long visit. But not where I'd choose to retire permanently due to the need to drive endlessly for every single errand. Also I'm not sure how much "community" is actually in Netarts and Oceanside as opposed to just being a large collections of weekend homes and vacation rentals. My sense is not that much. I'd rather live someplace with a much larger collection of local permanent residents.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I love Oceanside and Netarts. That is where we most often go for weekend airb&b trips when friends visit. But they are really nothing more than collections of houses. There is one or two cafes in Oceanside that randomly seem to open during the tourist season. In Netarts there are two tiny general stores and one or two restaurants. And that's it. Otherwise you will be driving to the Fred Meyer outside Tillamook for every single thing you ever need to buy and that's a 10.5 miles 20 minute drive which I have made many many times.

Nice place for a weekend or week-long visit. But not where I'd choose to retire permanently due to the need to drive endlessly for every single errand. Also I'm not sure how much "community" is actually in Netarts and Oceanside as opposed to just being a large collections of weekend homes and vacation rentals. My sense is not that much. I'd rather live someplace with a much larger collection of local permanent residents.
Your posts have been very informative, thank you! I would rather live somewhere with more local permanent residents too, it sounds like Newport and LC are still the top spots for us.. we have found a few lots that we need to check out in person when we go up next!

Old 10-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Astoria has a touristy downtown and waterfront but the rest of the city is filled with more regular businesses and it has its own local economy based on shipping, fishing, etc. not just tourism. So the density of tourist things like AirB&Bs in Astoria is going to be about 1/10th what it is in say Seaside or Lincoln City. Mainly because the nearest beaches are 8-10 miles away.
I see what you are saying, but how many "tourists" are going to go "up the hill" and explore the real Astoria?
It is pretty much all residential with nothing to see.
You can see the industrial parts, but you can't go there, and that just enhances the touristy feel of seeing a place like Astoria.

The Column,,,yes, but actually how many people passing through town are going to see what you are saying is the "real" Astoria?
Get the Astoria Safeway experience maybe?

Not many I think. I certainly wouldn't want to do it with a 28 foot travel trailer.
Astoria is the "turn around point" unless you are continuing to the OP.

All you see on the "main drag" are touristy things.

And your comments about a place like Netarts being isolated and having to drive endlessly.............Netarts is about 15 minutes away from Tillamook.
Hardly an endless drive.
There are certainly a few markets where you could get milk or soda or chips or something like that.
Even stuff like meat or fresh veggies.
You will pay but??????
You would drive farther (or take you longer because of traffic) if you lived in SE Portland and wanted to go to the mall at Clackamas Town Center.
Except coming from Netarts, the scenery is better.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-02-2019 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-02-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I see what you are saying, but how many "tourists" are going to go "up the hill" and explore the real Astoria?
You can see the industrial parts, but you can't go there, and that just enhances the touristy feel of seeing a place like Astoria.

The Column,,,yes, but actually how many people passing through town are going to see what you are saying is the "real" Astoria?

Not many I think. I certainly wouldn't want to do it with a 28 foot travel trailer.

And your comments about a place like Netarts being isolated and having to drive endlessly.............Netarts is about 15 minutes away from Tillamook.
Hardly an endless drive.
There are certainly a few markets where you could get milk or soda or chips or something like that.
You will pay but??????
You would drive farther (or take you longer because of traffic) if you lived in SE Portland and wanted to go to the mall at Clackamas Town Center.
I didn't mean that the drive is endless. It is exactly 10.5 miles and about 20 minutes which is what I wrote.

I meant that you will be driving endlessly for every single errand because there is absolutely nothing within walking distance. Especially during the off-season. I did live in SE Portland for about a decade and never once went to Clackamas Town Center. I walked or biked to nearby restaurants and groceries or took the #19 bus downtown for fancier shopping.

If I'm living year-round on the coast I'd at least like someplace within walking distance where I can go for a cup of coffee or a pint and bowl of chowder on a cold rainy afternoon to read my newspaper or chat with neighbors.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Hardly an endless drive.
You will pay but??????
Mike, Astoria is a cool town! Love the vibe, but so far from the beach! We want to walk the dogs every day for miles! Hmm Netarts and Oceanside are interesting, but a little isolated and when getting older its nice to be close to shops/restaurants which in Newport you are in walking distance!

What are the downsides to Newport? Traffic seems better than LC, but it does get crowded in the summer months for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon