Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 11:16 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Somebody here a while back brought up the Charles Levin incident and the need for better signage on Oregon backroads. Today I was driving from Gardner to Eugene along the Smith River Road System, and lo and behold, what did I see, but brand new roads signs. They looked like they were probably put up by the US Forest Service. They were typical Forest Service type signs. Wood signs with white lettering. Giving road names, and directions and distances to the nearest cities. Pretty nice for those of us who don't use GPS. I would have loved to have had those when I first came to Oregon. When I first explored those roads there were no signs on them of any kind except a few hand made signs put up to direct log truck drivers. I just started driving in the general direction I wanted to go and hoped the road would lead me there. Sometimes I came out where I wanted to be, and sometimes I came out someplace else.

I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence that all these new signs popped up only months after Charles Levin's disappearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 09:31 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I never had any problems finding my way on the back roads and logging roads. The forest service puts out an excellent map.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:37 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence that all these new signs popped up only months after Charles Levin's disappearance.
Doubt that. The Forest Service just doesn't move that fast, it had to be something already in the works.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-24-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I never had any problems finding my way on the back roads and logging roads. The forest service puts out an excellent map.
Where do you get the Forest Service maps? I just use Google Maps and the Oregon: Road & Recreation Atlas. I have never really had a problem either. But when the roads were not marked, I had to guess at what road I was on. Since I don't own a GPS. Sometimes if I took the wrong road, it was usually a parallel road, so I ended up in the same general area anyway.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Doubt that. The Forest Service just doesn't move that fast, it had to be something already in the works.
I don't know. None of these signs were there two months ago. Now they are popping up all over the place. Hundreds of them. So they started going up about three months after Charles Levin's death. If they made a quick decision after his death to put them up, three months to make the signs and put them up seems about right.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
Quote:
Where do you get the Forest Service maps? .
We've bought our's at US Forest Service Offices in Reedsport, Gold Beach, and Powers because those were the general areas we were exploring. Just visit the office and tell them what area you are interested in. There is a fee. Good detailed maps.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
We've bought our's at US Forest Service Offices in Reedsport, Gold Beach, and Powers because those were the general areas we were exploring. Just visit the office and tell them what area you are interested in. There is a fee. Good detailed maps.
OK thanks. I'll do that.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
I don't know. None of these signs were there two months ago. Now they are popping up all over the place. Hundreds of them. So they started going up about three months after Charles Levin's death. If they made a quick decision after his death to put them up, three months to make the signs and put them up seems about right.
Is this in the same area where they fellow from San Francisco died??

His family survived, but he left to get help and died. His family was wealthy so they mounted a expensive private search.

In any case, the Forest Service doesn't move that fast. BUT I think the previous deaths and people getting lost on that road system had more to do with it. I believe that BLM and private owners are also substantial landowners along the road system. It is NOT just a Forest Service problem.

Years ago, I was on a Forest Service business trip and drove from Grant's Pass to the coast. I stopped TWICE to make sure I was on the right road. It was the first time for me in the area and I did not have a Forest Service map with me. But since the road showed on the Oregon state highway map I assumed I would not have any problems.

It isn't the signing that was bad. The area has had timber harvest going on for decades and over that time the road standards changed due to environmental reasons.

As you driving along the recent spur and dead end roads are built to a higher standard than the main road. If your not aware of changing road standards and timber sale layout, it is easy to take the secondary road.

Wait, even as a Forester, I stopped TWICE, and asked to make sure that I was on the main road.

I can't imagine a urban resident trying to get over the road without a map. Wait, even with a map most of those folks don't even know how to locate themselves on it!!

Old 11-24-2019, 05:49 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
Quote:
OK thanks. I'll do that.
You are very welcome. Sure beats relying on paper plates nailed to a tree marked with 3...3.5...4...lol.
You be careful out there.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Is this in the same area where they fellow from San Francisco died??

His family survived, but he left to get help and died. His family was wealthy so they mounted a expensive private search.

In any case, the Forest Service doesn't move that fast. BUT I think the previous deaths and people getting lost on that road system had more to do with it. I believe that BLM and private owners are also substantial landowners along the road system. It is NOT just a Forest Service problem.

Years ago, I was on a Forest Service business trip and drove from Grant's Pass to the coast. I stopped TWICE to make sure I was on the right road. It was the first time for me in the area and I did not have a Forest Service map with me. But since the road showed on the Oregon state highway map I assumed I would not have any problems.

It isn't the signing that was bad. The area has had timber harvest going on for decades and over that time the road standards changed due to environmental reasons.

As you driving along the recent spur and dead end roads are built to a higher standard than the main road. If your not aware of changing road standards and timber sale layout, it is easy to take the secondary road.

Wait, even as a Forester, I stopped TWICE, and asked to make sure that I was on the main road.

I can't imagine a urban resident trying to get over the road without a map. Wait, even with a map most of those folks don't even know how to locate themselves on it!!
No, the area you are talking about is the Rouge River in Southern Oregon. I'm talking about the Smith River in Central Oregon. I have never explored the Rogue River - Siskiyou National Forest, but it looks much more remote and rugged then the Siuslaw National Forest. I can't imagine anybody getting stuck and dying in the Siuslaw National Forest. Most of the forest roads in the Siuslaw are paved. Though I wouldn't want to drive on them, if it's been snowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon