U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2008, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,776 times
Smile air quality in Ashland

My wife and I want to move to Ashland from the Sacramento, CA foothills; the only detractor so far is what we've heard about the air quality. Is it true that Ashland has bad air quality (excessive particulate matter) due to the pulp mill(s) or other industries around Medford?
We are especially concerned since my wife is occassionally suffers from minor acute asthma, which runs in her family, and we are due to have a child soon.
Thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 AM

505 posts, read 1,374,350 times
The air quality in the Rogue Valley has gotten much better over the years, but it still can get bad. Ashland is better than most, since it's higher in elevation. The main problem is in the geography. It's a u shaped valley with big mountains all around. When wind blows from the North it can really get socked in. Winter brings temp. inversions that also trap air in the valley... kind of like putting a lid on a pot. Summer can bring wildfires which can be bad too. It's something you face with the beauty of the montains. I must say that I left Oregon 1 1/2 yrs ago, and my son with asthma is doing much better in Michigan (Northern) than he was in the Rogue Valley. I would think that Sacramento is much like Medford though, but don't know or sure.

You may try calling Jackson Couty Health and Human Services and asking them. They are the ones who monitor PM pollution. They may be able to give you some answers. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,643 times
Smile So Oregon Air Quality

As the most visible and most outspoken advocate for clean air in Southern Oregon, (local industrial polluters hate me), I am happy to report that the air in Southern Oregon has gone from awful to nearly perfect! Medford was once known as Dredford---but no more thanks to the federal MACT law and thanks to the efforts of several clean air groups in the region, mainly Rogue Valley Citizens for Clean Air. The super-clean standards of MACT---Maximum Achieveable Control Technology, the air in Medford and Ashland is now cleaner than almost any where else in the US, but only recently, because the MACT pollution standards that apply to the plywood and particle board industry take effect this year and the polluting plants have in recent months begun the process ofo cleaning up and complying with this great law that has had a tremendous impact here. The political history of this issue is long and interesting and complex (I should write a book---if you google my name, you will find lots of front page articles in the local papers about my fights with the Oregon DEQ and local polluters in the last 5 years), but the bottom line is that the air is very clean here now---no pulp mills at all and almost all of the other wood products plants have cleaned up 90% of their emissions, and the 2 that have not yet cleaned up must do so by October of this year. We have gone from one of the dirtiest places in America to one of the cleanest. I am very glad and proud to be able to say that!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:38 PM

678 posts, read 1,815,100 times
Conde,

Many Kudo's to you for being so pro-active for clean air. Such a large part of the population wants the polluters cleaned up but the Government is to slow and corrupt to get the job done. It's been 10 years since I drove from Eagle point to Seattle in the early winter and I found the smoke so bad for a large part of the drive thru southern Oregon that we drove at breakneck speed just to get out of the pollution. It was terrible.
I think it was mostly fireplaces burning wood.
Also don't they still burn grasses in the summer? They should stop all unnecessary burning of things in sensitive areas. It's the same as any other second hand smoke, harmful to your lungs and health.
We had a situation this winter where by a close neighbor started their wood burning fireplace and unleashed such a plume of smoke that we had to call the fire dept. to come and see if their house was on fire. The fireman told me later when they went to the door to check out what was going on the fellow that came to answer the door had a ciggerette in his mouth and was puffing on it as well. Some people are totally brain dead when it comes to being considerate of others.
Keep up the good work.....your are a special person.

Silverfox

Old 04-27-2008, 11:33 AM

6,739 posts, read 7,389,242 times
No they don't burn grasses in the summer near Ashland. That was an issue between Salem and Eugene where farmers grow grass seed. Ashland is not in the Willamette Valley.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM

758 posts, read 1,339,258 times
Sacramento = Ashland.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,846 times
It may help you to check this site for daily air quality reports:

[url=http://www.deq.state.or.us/aqi/index.aspx]Oregon DEQ: AQI[/url]

Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 PM

9 posts, read 16,603 times
The worst of the bad air seems to hover around Medford. It only gets really bad on foggy still days. Ashland is above the fog more often (its about 1,000 to 1,500 feet higher) so the air quality is not as bad. I honestly have never heard of Ashland having much of an air quality problem.

Last edited by fargospice420; 02-13-2009 at 12:05 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 10,662 times
Default Kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conde View Post
As the most visible and most outspoken advocate for clean air in Southern Oregon, (local industrial polluters hate me), I am happy to report that the air in Southern Oregon has gone from awful to nearly perfect! Medford was once known as Dredford---but no more thanks to the federal MACT law and thanks to the efforts of several clean air groups in the region, mainly Rogue Valley Citizens for Clean Air. The super-clean standards of MACT---Maximum Achieveable Control Technology, the air in Medford and Ashland is now cleaner than almost any where else in the US, but only recently, because the MACT pollution standards that apply to the plywood and particle board industry take effect this year and the polluting plants have in recent months begun the process ofo cleaning up and complying with this great law that has had a tremendous impact here. The political history of this issue is long and interesting and complex (I should write a book---if you google my name, you will find lots of front page articles in the local papers about my fights with the Oregon DEQ and local polluters in the last 5 years), but the bottom line is that the air is very clean here now---no pulp mills at all and almost all of the other wood products plants have cleaned up 90% of their emissions, and the 2 that have not yet cleaned up must do so by October of this year. We have gone from one of the dirtiest places in America to one of the cleanest. I am very glad and proud to be able to say that!!!
Kudos:

Need more folks like you. With severe breathing problems in most of my family, I can now actually look forward to moving somewhere where we can breath!

Keep up the good fight!

Joe in ga

Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 PM

248 posts, read 417,210 times
I can attest to Conde's efforts. I moved here earlier this year and had no idea there used to be a pollution problem.

It's awesome here.

Oh. Now burning at all in Southern Oregon during the summer. No crops, no debris and no burn barrels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon