Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 07:38 AM

440 posts, read 776,575 times

Advertisements

I am a avid steelhead fisherman and will be retiring in the next few years. Thinking I would like to fish the Umpqua river from the mouth to the the north fork.
I haven't fished this river but I think it would keep me busy with the different runs of salmonids as well as stripper bass.

Could someone recommend a few towns I could do research on where to buy a home that would give me great access to this fine river as well as a nice town to shop please.

FYI I normally fish the Clackamas river and know very little about the rivers down in southern Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 08:40 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Elkton or Drain are small towns on the lower Umpqua.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:03 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times
Do you want riverfront property where you can fish out your back door?

Or do you want to live in an actual town with shopping and services that is an easy drive to your fishing spots?

Roseburg is the closest actual town with real stores like Fred Meyer. But you can find scattered rural riverfront homes all along the river. Like this random example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...61061408_zpid/

or this one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...61070412_zpid/

Old 01-04-2020, 01:54 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Elkton or Drain are small towns on the lower Umpqua.
Drain is not on the Umpqua. It's about 15 miles away from the river. Elkton is. Also Scottsburg and Reedsport are on the river, and might work for the OP.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:17 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I am a avid steelhead fisherman and will be retiring in the next few years. Thinking I would like to fish the Umpqua river from the mouth to the the north fork.
I haven't fished this river but I think it would keep me busy with the different runs of salmonids as well as stripper bass.

Could someone recommend a few towns I could do research on where to buy a home that would give me great access to this fine river as well as a nice town to shop please.

FYI I normally fish the Clackamas river and know very little about the rivers down in southern Oregon.
Shouldn't you try fishing on the Umpqua River, before you decide to move there? Also, do you need to be right on the river, or will you have a boat? If you have a boat, you could live almost anywhere in the area.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:15 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Years ago, a gentleman from the forum, lived in his motor home at The River Bend RV Park, on the Umpqua River, in Winston Oregon. I remember him saying some fishermen/women had some good luck catching steelhead in the area. ...I would suggest for you to find some good holes in the Umpqua. Do some exploring is best.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...gMbT1N773RqrJF

At the Oregon Fishing Forum & ifish you can read about many stories of folks catching steelhead & a few maybe about catching Striped Bass. You can ask some ?? on these forums about where you can try to get lucky fishing for these beauties. (general area, anyway)

https://www.oregonfishingforum.com/
https://www.ifish.net/board/index.php

In the past i read some stories about catching Striped Bass in the areas around the mouth of the Umpqua River or the Smith River close to Crescent City. Folks might be tight lipped in recent years. I haven't heard of stripers being caught recently.

Years ago i caught some stripers surf fishing less frequented beaches in CA. & a lot of Surf Perch. (good eating)
I caught & usually released some nice sized stripers at:
San Luis O'Neill Forebay. (Soquel fisherman caught one striper that was 66lb+ in 1989)
California Aqueduct- I caught many nice stripers & catfish.
Delta/Mendota canal- caught stripers & catfish.
San Joaquin River- caught some nice stripers.
CA Delta-some nice stripers & catfish.
Sacramento River-caught stripers & catfish.

etc. etc. etc.

Best of Luck to you, alikair...

Old 01-04-2020, 04:16 PM

I do not need to live on the river I can't afford that.
I would like to own a boat and take it on the Umpqua but am just as happy if I only bank fished. That being said is the Umpqua a safe river to navigate or do I need some kind of Driftboat ?

Old 01-04-2020, 04:38 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I do not need to live on the river I can't afford that.
I would like to own a boat and take it on the Umpqua but am just as happy if I only bank fished. That being said is the Umpqua a safe river to navigate or do I need some kind of Driftboat ?

I've talked to many folks who fish from the bank.
In the summer when there isn't much dangerous current many fisherfolk use inflated pontoon boats with oars.
Some mount trolling motors on their pontoon boats.
Some use driftboats in some areas. You need to know the waters where you put a boat in. It can be very dangerous if you aren't skilled in the use of the boat.
There are many smallmouth bass in the Umpqua.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:05 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times
Are you writing a book or something and is there some reason you are obsessed with fishing every mile of the Umpqua?

If it were me and I was looking to dedicate my retirement to fishing, I'd just pick some inexpensive southern Oregon town like Roseburg or Reedsport or Coos Bay and then fish wherever I wanted from the Klamath to the Columbia depending on the season and weather and what I felt like doing. Maybe even one of the southern Willamette Valley towns outside Eugene like Venita or Cottage Grove. The distances aren't that great if you are tossing a rod in the car and driving.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Are you writing a book or something and is there some reason you are obsessed with fishing every mile of the Umpqua?

If it were me and I was looking to dedicate my retirement to fishing, I'd just pick some inexpensive southern Oregon town like Roseburg or Reedsport or Coos Bay and then fish wherever I wanted from the Klamath to the Columbia depending on the season and weather and what I felt like doing. Maybe even one of the southern Willamette Valley towns outside Eugene like Venita or Cottage Grove. The distances aren't that great if you are tossing a rod in the car and driving.
It never amazes me how somebody finds a way to twist my words whenever I post on a forum.

I am not obsessed with fishing every mile, only every other mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon