Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 PM

63 posts, read 183,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I grew up on an Oregon farm of Scot/Irish and German stock. Oregon was so white back then I never knew there was supposed to be something different about people. High school was the farmer's kids, the logger's kids and the Indians. We all played on the same teams and didn't think much of it. I dated one of the Indian girls for a while, and AFAIK, nobody ever said anything about it.

In college I got my first introduction to racial politics. My roommate my sophomore year was from Zambia, and it seemed like half the Foreign Students Union hung out in our room. Race had nothing do do with my choice of roommate, we were both engineering majors and took a lot of the same classes. My best friend was a black Mexican who grew up in Juarez. Once again, that had nothing to do with our friendship. We both played the guitar, had an interest in folk music, and liked to sing together. This was in the late '60s, and I had trouble getting my head around some of the things they were telling me. I also started to form my first prejudices. I preferred not to associate with fundamentalists Muslims. There were some Iranian Shiites that walked around with an ice pick up their butts, but the others were OK. Hindus were fun to hang with, but I could do without milk and sugar in tea. To this day, I still prefer Japanese green tea.

In the intervening 40+ years, I have changed a lot and so has the world. I now have black and Asian cousins. One of my Asian cousins almost married an Italian, but the engagement broke off. We all breathed a sigh of relief. You can carry this diversity thing too far. Yes, my black cousins live in California. There is a diplomat, an MD, and a civil engineer. So much for stereotypes. I am proud of my family. Not a dud in the bunch, some of them are brilliant, and all of them are good people.

I think everyone is happier with "their own kind," it's just complicated figuring out what "kind" that is. You sure can't tell based on skin color, language or where you grew up.

*~*~*~*~~* I read your statement, Larry, and thought to myself "what a beautiful post". Simple yet honest, kind and caring. lol I'm only on this thread because my husband may get offered a job in Bend, OR and I wanted to know what African Americans and others in that part of the state thought about their surroundings. I appreciate your comments. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 PM

405 posts, read 1,278,189 times
I'm seeing more and more black people in small Oregon towns now. Even, I see a lot of intermixed couples. Well black men with white women.. I think the reason you don't see black women with white men is due to the fact that african americans don't like their women with white men. Seems to be a cultural issue. Anyhow, I always say its about your attitude. If you are black, parade around Obama posters and talk about how whitey did this or that, obviously then small-town rednecks aren't going to like you very much. However, if you are an african american republican, don't mind going fishing or shooting with some of the good ol boys and understanding their culture, or what not, your skin color won't matter. As a matter of fact, a lot of them will probably be intrigued by you.

There are always a few racist pricks everywhere you go. I am Jewish, so I have certainly encountered some racism first-hand by the "redneck" Element you may fear. Nonetheless, these ignorant types are the minority, not the majority.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
This social isolation is not limited to Portland. I knew a Black female executive who worked for a Fortune 500 company in central Washington. She transferred because EVERYONE knew her. She once got a flat tire on her way to work and it seemed to her the entire community came to her rescue. She said is wasn't that she wasn't treated well (even very well) but that she stood out like a sore thumb. To top it off every one knew her husband's golf handicap.

She wanted more anonymity.

Miss her a lot.
I know about that lack of anonymity. Many years ago, I went to a Lutheran Church. I was the only Black person in attendance. Many people would know I hadn't showed up because I was the only Black person. I was treated very well though.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,899,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
I'm seeing more and more black people in small Oregon towns now. Even, I see a lot of intermixed couples. Well black men with white women.. I think the reason you don't see black women with white men is due to the fact that african americans don't like their women with white men. Seems to be a cultural issue. Anyhow, I always say its about your attitude. If you are black, parade around Obama posters and talk about how whitey did this or that, obviously then small-town rednecks aren't going to like you very much. However, if you are an african american republican, don't mind going fishing or shooting with some of the good ol boys and understanding their culture, or what not, your skin color won't matter. As a matter of fact, a lot of them will probably be intrigued by you.

There are always a few racist pricks everywhere you go. I am Jewish, so I have certainly encountered some racism first-hand by the "redneck" Element you may fear. Nonetheless, these ignorant types are the minority, not the majority.
Hmmm... I was in East Hillsboro earlier today and saw two such couples in the space of one hour. So, to be more accurate you might say: the reason you don't see quite as many black women with white men... and no, the reason isn't because black people don't like to see their women with white men... do you really think the women involved would give a [TOS Violation] what they think? Black women don't care to be involved with white men for a number of reasons, some physical, some not but its their own choice. They just aren't attracted. But, while we are on the subject, again... why do you imagine I, or any other self identified African American poster who has reported receiving hostile treatment is racist? I mean... AFAIK, none of us posting are natives. We chose to come here. Would we do that if we did not, could not, like (love?) white people?? Come on. I have friends here I am in settings where I am regarded fondly and I certainly do not experience racism every single day. Race, however, is huge in America. It colors every single human interaction, no pun intended. It is impossible to ignore, even if I wanted to (and I do).

H

Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Dream View Post

Jewish is a religion not a race. You experienced prejudice not racism. You can speak from your experience of having prejudice shown to you because you are Jewish, but how can you speak for racism towards African Americans from their point of view if you are not African American?

You say you don't see black women with white men as though this doesn't exist. Well, I know of two couples in which each consists of a white man and a black woman. Both couples have been happily married for over 20 years.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 PM

I don't agree with you Leisesturm about the physical or attraction being the reason why so few black women have white boyfriends. I am sorry, maybe that is what you wish to think, but I think social stigma from their communities is the reason. Also, I have heard some stories of white guys getting harassed by black men when seen in public with a black woman. There was one guy in Buffalo, NY for example, who was beaten up by black gang and now is a vegetable for the rest of his life.

The fact is, I see many black guys with white women here, but almost never the opposite. Is it that white men are so unattractive, but the white women are attractive? I don't buy it.. I know I've talked to a lot of black guys who told me they want a white spouse because they feel African-American women are more dominating and harder to be in a relationship.

My feelings are that this goes to culture and feelings that African American's expect black women to be loyal to their own people, whereas the men do not have the expectation. Dating out of race is like being a traitor. That is why, back in the Jim Crow days, if a white woman was found with a black man, she and the man would face dire consequences, but the same was not true for a white man with a black woman. I notice Middle Eastern, Indian and many other races have these unfair expectations of the women, which are not placed on the men. Many Middle Eastern women are victims of honor killings, because they chose to date outside the culture. I am yet to hear of any Middle Eastern man who was killed because he dated a white American or European woman.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Jewish is a religion not a race. You experienced prejudice not racism. You can speak from your experience of having prejudice shown to you because you are Jewish, but how can you speak for racism towards African Americans from their point of view if you are not African American?

You say you don't see black women with white men as though this doesn't exist. Well, I know of two couples in which each consists of a white man and a black woman. Both couples have been happily married for over 20 years.
Jews are a people, Judaism is a religion. THere are those who converted to the Jewish religion who are not Hebraic of Judaic, but become adopted into the Jewish fold.

How can I speak of racism? Because I've been a victim of racism and racism against blacks may have a different flavor, but I know what it is like to be hated. How many times do I have to be called a Christ killer, baby murderer, money launderer, destroyer of the economy and banks, etc before I feel like I have experienced enough racism?

I have seen black women with white men, but very rarely. However, it is mostly African American women I don't see with white men. I've seen quite a few African and West-Indian women married to white men. THere is a different cultural perspective from these groups of people. Maybe, it stems back to slavery or the oppression black Americans faced in the USA, but their views of race mixing are different.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,929 times
I will be moving to the area soon and would like to rent a room as opposed to leasing or buying without knowing the area. Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,929 times
What an accurate and awesome description! You are exactly right...our AA men are not expected to be loyal and many in our culture give them a pass when it comes to the women they choose and why. I am an AA woman who loves, loves, loves white men and prefer them romantically. But that is not because I am mad at our AA men, quite the opposite. Mine preference is based on just that preference. I am sure it is influenced by my familial relations also. My grandfather was a French immigrant (paternal). My maternal great-grandfather is full blood Cherokee and I was named for him. My paternal grandfather married my grandmother when she was 14 and she is 1/2 Black and 1/2 Cherokee. My father is of this mixed decent. My mother's parents were from South Carolina and was genteel Black folk. My maternal grandparents owned a shipping company and emigrated to New Orleans, Louisiana when they married. The went on to raise a family of 10 children and live in the Garden District a block from my other grandparents. So I can identify with all types of men but just love, love vanilla! I also happen to be highly educated and not 'hard to deal with' and all those other BS excuses some Black men come up with to explain why they do not date us. But I am on my soapbox! I am getting off!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
It is not uncommon to find inter-racial relationships is Portland metro. Keep company with people you enjoy, all the rest is no-one's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon