Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 PM

82 posts, read 152,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStudy178 View Post
Trash talk Oregon? I don't think you understand. I like Oregon so much that it makes me upset when some locals don't appreciate what they have and proceed to junk the place up.

When (not "if") I do get out there, probably Portland, I am volunteering for as many committees as I can so I can make a positive difference in your wonderful community.
As long as you don't tell me what to do on my property I could care less. Maybe I'm just being defensive, but it comes across as very rude and disrespectful to come over to an oregon forum and pretty much disregard most of oregon outside of portland as white trash (I know those weren't your exact words). Then you go on to talk so highly of new england and the east coast in general as if we are slobs because we do not fit your standards. Well guess what this isn't the east coast and if your gonna come over to my state I suggest you learn to accept that. I appreciate the notion of volunteering to make a positive difference but please don't think that you have the right to decide what we do with our property because you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 AM

351 posts, read 538,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdrifter View Post
As long as you don't tell me what to do on my property I could care less. Maybe I'm just being defensive, but it comes across as very rude and disrespectful to come over to an oregon forum and pretty much disregard most of oregon outside of portland as white trash (I know those weren't your exact words). Then you go on to talk so highly of new england and the east coast in general as if we are slobs because we do not fit your standards. Well guess what this isn't the east coast and if your gonna come over to my state I suggest you learn to accept that. I appreciate the notion of volunteering to make a positive difference but please don't think that you have the right to decide what we do with our property because you don't.
Why are you so defensive and why are you coming down so hard on me for wanting to find my own personal little neighborhood that I can be happy with? Do you really think that I am going to devote my life to ridding every front lawn in Oregon, including yours, of Pink Flamingos and RV's? Don't worry so much.

And I hate to burst your bubble or cause you any sleepless nights, but you already live in a state that has hundreds of laws dictating what YOU can and can't do with your own property. If you don't believe me, call up your local zoning officer.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 AM

82 posts, read 152,018 times
Quote:
Why are you so defensive and why are you coming down so hard on me for wanting to find my own personal little neighborhood that I can be happy with? Do you really think that I am going to devote my life to ridding every front lawn in Oregon, including yours, of Pink Flamingos and RV's? Don't worry so much.

And I hate to burst your bubble or cause you any sleepless nights, but you already live in a state that has hundreds of laws dictating what YOU can and can't do with your own property. If you don't believe me, call up your local zoning officer.
Oh I know there are zoning laws and yeah their ridiculous. Thats why I don't want anymore regulations. I'm a strong believer in social libertarianism and I think all the government intrusions on personal property and freedom are alarming to say the least.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 AM

182 posts, read 478,395 times
Quite some reading, But I read it all! Whew. I was going to suggest Charbonneau. I would do maintenance on those homes. All had good sized lots, and well groomed. Isolated from neighboring lower areas. And just a shot up I-5 to Portland. Only thing is the homes are a bit bigger then 1100 sq feet. I don't know of many places with homes that small still having the standards you would expect. With the housing boom and the darn ARMs, many are struggling to keep their homes and so repairing vs paying is a difference.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
I was in Portland last week, and took another look at one of the neighborhoods you had suggested, and after spending six solid days in that one neighborhood, all I can say is that I wish I would have been able to grow up there as a kid. It is FANTASTIC, and exactly the type of community I've been looking for. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

I knew there would be a place for you here, just not a whole city. Was it Laurelhurst?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:10 AM

56 posts, read 117,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
Klamath Falls, Oregon
No offense to anyone in Klamath Falls, but whatever you do, avoid Route 66 into Klamath Falls at all costs! It's not quite as bad when traveling from Klamath Falls to Ashland or I-5, but on Rt 66 going to Klamath Falls there are sections of the road with no shoulder to the road, and no barrier between your car and the sheer one or two mile vertical drop only inches from the right side wheels of your car.

When I was teaching my wife to drive (she's Chinese and newly immigrated to the USA) we went on a long drive from Medford to Klamath Falls via Road 140, and then returned via Route 66. When Route 66 started downhill my wife was going too fast for the curves (I discovered she had not yet learned what the yellow diamond shaped warning speed limit signs for sharp curves meant) and she ran off the road into a giant boulder that was part of a partial landslide. We were very fortunate that she ran off the road into the mountainside, because when I got out of the car, I walked over to the other side of the road (no fence or barrier of any kind) and looked straight down for what looked like almost a mile at the distant rocks far below.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:23 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
This is very good to know. Thankyou bro.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdotson View Post
No offense to anyone in Klamath Falls, but whatever you do, avoid Route 66 into Klamath Falls at all costs! It's not quite as bad when traveling from Klamath Falls to Ashland or I-5, but on Rt 66 going to Klamath Falls there are sections of the road with no shoulder to the road, and no barrier between your car and the sheer one or two mile vertical drop only inches from the right side wheels of your car.
This describes lots of roads in Oregon.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:52 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdotson View Post

When I was teaching my wife to drive (she's Chinese and newly immigrated to the USA) we went on a long drive from Medford to Klamath Falls via Road 140, and then returned via Route 66. When Route 66 started downhill my wife was going too fast for the curves (I discovered she had not yet learned what the yellow diamond shaped warning speed limit signs for sharp curves meant) and she ran off the road into a giant boulder that was part of a partial landslide. We were very fortunate that she ran off the road into the mountainside, because when I got out of the car, I walked over to the other side of the road (no fence or barrier of any kind) and looked straight down for what looked like almost a mile at the distant rocks far below.
Interesting. 66 between Ashland and K-Falls is one of my favorite drives in the whole state. I think it is spectacular, and I pull over many times to walk to the edge of the road and stare into space. Be sure to stop at Tubb Springs for a drink of water and to admire the sparkly rocks in the horse basins.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:12 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
The sparkly things are probably shreds of fallen cars ..... I hate when roads are like that, it's so third-world. The coastal highway in California is like that too, even though California has plenty of money to fence off every other road. I'm guessing that it was designed that way by the same sort of people who design men's restrooms without any dividers between the urinals ....... who felt that even a low guard rail would detract from the view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon