U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 AM

3,568 posts, read 4,126,949 times
If you are looking at Ashland, check out Jacksonville. Small, cute, easy driving distance to Ashland,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,890,115 times
Cute or Quaint but a little far from big metropolitan areas:
Baker City gets votes as one of the 'most beautiful small towns' in U.S. | OregonLive.com

Last edited by karlsch; 06-04-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM

46 posts, read 64,740 times
Cute & quaint small OR town?
How about Brownsville? Site of the movie Stand By Me.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,119,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Cute & quaint small OR town?
How about Brownsville? Site of the movie Stand By Me.
I've heard Brownsville & Harrisburg have horribly hard water... and the thread started 3 years ago ; )

Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM

12,485 posts, read 8,622,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I've heard Brownsville & Harrisburg have horribly hard water... and the thread started 3 years ago ; )
How time does fly when yer havin' FUn's.
hahaha

Old 07-29-2011, 02:43 PM

167 posts, read 200,060 times
Too bad land in those cute areas (I LOVE Brownsville!) is so darn expensive.

I'm planning a hobby farm business and while oregon is my home state, and I love so much of it, it's just not fiscally practical. Thanks Califoreigners Off to the tornado belt I go with my hard working middle class values and organic farm...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 PM

351 posts, read 249,374 times
I really like Oregon and Washington for lots of reasons, but trying to find a "well-manicured" quaint small town with old-world charm that is not spotty (nice house, dumpy house, nice house, dumpy house), is very difficult at any price point. It's almost as if quaintness and charm goes on a street-by-street and/or house-by-house basis in the PNW, which I do find rather annoying. Whereas, in the East there are many towns that are nice and quaint from one end to the other (e.g. Greenwich, CT - East Hampton, NY - Edgartown, MA - Manchester, VT - Marblehead, MA - New Hope, PA - Skaneateles, NY - Essex, CT - Mystic, CT - Camden, ME - Newburyport, MA - Newport, RI, and on and on).

I guess as far as Oregon goes, Astoria and McMinnville are pretty nice. Baker City has some very nice commercial architecture, but many of this city's residential areas are rather dumpy and/or spotty. Silverton has a reputation for "quaintness", but much of this town is spotty. Jacksonville is nice, and less spotty than most places in Oregon. Brownsville is cute, but spotty.

Portland has some really nice neighborhoods that are fairly self-contained and feel like a small town, and may be a great option for someone looking for a small town in Oregon. And in general, Portland has beautiful architecture, fabulous parks, interesting boutiques, many good schools, street cars, and (much) more to offer than anywhere else in Oregon, hands down.

If anybody on here knows of towns or small cities in Oregon that are really nice and quaint from end-to-end, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 AM

6,477 posts, read 5,948,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStudy178 View Post

If anybody on here knows of towns or small cities in Oregon that are really nice and quaint from end-to-end, please let me know. Thanks!
By your definition, the only town I can think that would be close is Aurora about halfway between Portland and Salem. The main street is mostly antique shops.

If you'd cool with "Quaint" "downtown" areas, Burns, Enterprise, Union, Florence, Fossil, might do you in a pinch.

You could also try Ritter, Granite, Shaniko or Sumpter. All are technically Ghost Towns, but have a bit of quintness to them. In fact you could buy the Shaniko Hotel, have a place to live, contribute to the "quaintness" of the town, and get some income to offset your costs of living in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 PM

10,850 posts, read 18,116,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStudy178 View Post
I really like Oregon and Washington for lots of reasons, but trying to find a "well-manicured" quaint small town with old-world charm that is not spotty (nice house, dumpy house, nice house, dumpy house), is very difficult at any price point. It's almost as if quaintness and charm goes on a street-by-street and/or house-by-house basis in the PNW, which I do find rather annoying. Whereas, in the East there are many towns that are nice and quaint from one end to the other (e.g. Greenwich, CT - East Hampton, NY - Edgartown, MA - Manchester, VT - Marblehead, MA - New Hope, PA - Skaneateles, NY - Essex, CT - Mystic, CT - Camden, ME - Newburyport, MA - Newport, RI, and on and on).

I guess as far as Oregon goes, Astoria and McMinnville are pretty nice. Baker City has some very nice commercial architecture, but many of this city's residential areas are rather dumpy and/or spotty. Silverton has a reputation for "quaintness", but much of this town is spotty. Jacksonville is nice, and less spotty than most places in Oregon. Brownsville is cute, but spotty.

Portland has some really nice neighborhoods that are fairly self-contained and feel like a small town, and may be a great option for someone looking for a small town in Oregon. And in general, Portland has beautiful architecture, fabulous parks, interesting boutiques, many good schools, street cars, and (much) more to offer than anywhere else in Oregon, hands down.

I don't think Oregon or Washington have what you want. New England has a much different way of separating wealth than we do here. Pretty much all cities have wealthy and non-wealthy residents so you will get those areas that aren't "well manicured." The materialism of New England doesn't translate to this state much.

This is the west coast and we just do things differently out here. People are too busy spending their time outdoors to spend time making their lawns look perfect and many people, for environmental reasons let their grass go brown in the summer. Totally acceptable behavior out here, IMO.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:19 PM

197 posts, read 221,229 times
As an admirer of and several times traveler to Oregon, this Easterner would suggest that Mt Angel has an appealing old world charm. The rural setting belies its proximity to Salem and Portland. It would get my vote for quaint.

www.ci.mt-angel.or.us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon