Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 03:26 PM

54 posts, read 112,912 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I have a question about why Mo's Seafood Restaurant no longer exists is in Coos Bay. My mom worked there many years ago in the 80s for about 5 or 6 years before we moved away. I can't seem to find any information regarding it. I was able to find out why Roosevelt Elementary School was no longer a school but I was wondering about Mo's. To be honest, the only place I will ever eat clam chowder is in Oregon. I have a lot of fond memories of my time there and I think my mom did as well. I remember it being located in a building with a candy store, a kite or outdoor type store and I think a jewelry store. There was a boat on display outsite that my brother and I spent many hours playing in. We always seem to find frogs around the boat.

Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 04:06 PM

628 posts, read 206,240 times
Probably the same reason any restaurant goes away? Income vs expenses.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:48 AM

8,380 posts, read 8,593,679 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mo%2...obile&ie=UTF-8

Call them, look at wikipedia page or other links from this page..

Old 05-16-2020, 12:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insthrnmd View Post
Hello,

So I have a question about why Mo's Seafood Restaurant no longer exists is in Coos Bay. My mom worked there many years ago in the 80s for about 5 or 6 years before we moved away. I can't seem to find any information regarding it. I was able to find out why Roosevelt Elementary School was no longer a school but I was wondering about Mo's. To be honest, the only place I will ever eat clam chowder is in Oregon. I have a lot of fond memories of my time there and I think my mom did as well. I remember it being located in a building with a candy store, a kite or outdoor type store and I think a jewelry store. There was a boat on display outsite that my brother and I spent many hours playing in. We always seem to find frogs around the boat.

Any information would be appreciated.
I'm still trying to figure out where exactly this would have been located. You mention Roosevelt Elementary School which was North Bend. Do you think it was Coos Bay area but in North Bend? Can you remember any other clues as to where it was located? Businesses come and go but most of the buildings' 'bones' are still around.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:49 PM

11 posts, read 8,883 times
This post brings back some memories.... and dates me. As I recall, Mo's in CB was in the building or lot once occupied by Volchok Chevrolet. Something like the Golden Storehouse, with a collection of artsy craftsy shops and Mo's. Either before or after, I think the building housed an outdoors store. It was on a block between what is now 101 S and 101 N. At the time there was a Golden Ave that intersected with Broadway, so perhaps there? The last time I passed thru Florence a couple of years ago, there was a Mo's there in the oldtown district. Also used to be one in Newport, and probably a few more in other coastal towns. Couldn't beat the clam chowder with garlic bread.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:44 PM

15,189 posts, read 8,774,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxq View Post
This post brings back some memories.... and dates me. As I recall, Mo's in CB was in the building or lot once occupied by Volchok Chevrolet. Something like the Golden Storehouse, with a collection of artsy craftsy shops and Mo's. Either before or after, I think the building housed an outdoors store. It was on a block between what is now 101 S and 101 N. At the time there was a Golden Ave that intersected with Broadway, so perhaps there? The last time I passed thru Florence a couple of years ago, there was a Mo's there in the oldtown district. Also used to be one in Newport, and probably a few more in other coastal towns. Couldn't beat the clam chowder with garlic bread.
Golden Avenue is still there. It's an industrial area. Umpqua Bank, Industrial Source, Les Schwab Tires, and Oregon Tool & Supply. The Les Schwab Tires Building looks like it could be an old dealership. But if that was where Mo's was located, then it's not a surprise it didn't last. It's a couple of blocks outside the tourist area.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:07 PM

54 posts, read 112,912 times
You are correct about the school. We did live in North Bend, right on the hill, down the street from Roosevelt School. I guess as a kid, I thought of as one big area and instead Coos Bay and North Bend.

As to Mo's, it was located in Coos Bay. I can't remember exactly where is was but the train tracks did run behind it. I think at some point, there might have been a motel type business across the parking lot or something like that.

I only asked about this because I can't seem to find any history regarding it. Even if the restaurant went out of business, I would think some information or blurb would be posted somewhere on the Mo's website or such. Honestly, I'm not sure how successful it was at the time. We visited my mom pretty frequently when she worked there- mostly after closing or if it was during the day, my brother and I spent a lot of time exploring around the building and not really in the restaurant. There was a candy store there that was ran by an older lady.

I went to my first haunted house there which was a very bad idea for a young child. Caused me to have nightmares for awhile. : )

Thanks for your replies. Greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insthrnmd View Post
You are correct about the school. We did live in North Bend, right on the hill, down the street from Roosevelt School. I guess as a kid, I thought of as one big area and instead Coos Bay and North Bend.

As to Mo's, it was located in Coos Bay. I can't remember exactly where is was but the train tracks did run behind it. I think at some point, there might have been a motel type business across the parking lot or something like that.

I only asked about this because I can't seem to find any history regarding it. Even if the restaurant went out of business, I would think some information or blurb would be posted somewhere on the Mo's website or such. Honestly, I'm not sure how successful it was at the time. We visited my mom pretty frequently when she worked there- mostly after closing or if it was during the day, my brother and I spent a lot of time exploring around the building and not really in the restaurant. There was a candy store there that was ran by an older lady.

I went to my first haunted house there which was a very bad idea for a young child. Caused me to have nightmares for awhile. : )

Thanks for your replies. Greatly appreciate it.
I found a copy of this old menu mailer from the early 1980s that shows an illustration of the Coos Bay Mo's. Interesting it looks like the Coos Bay Mo's is the only Mo's to ever fail. I think the rest are all still in business.

I wonder if it could have been located in one of the buildings on Broadway across from the Egyptian Theater. That would seem like the logical place for it to be. That's the area where most of the restaurants are located. If it was in one of those buildings, the back door would have faced out onto 1st Street, and the railroad tracks would have been right across the street.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:18 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I found a copy of this old menu mailer from the early 1980s that shows an illustration of the Coos Bay Mo's. Interesting it looks like the Coos Bay Mo's is the only Mo's to ever fail. I think the rest are all still in business.

I wonder if it could have been located in one of the buildings on Broadway across from the Egyptian Theater. That would seem like the logical place for it to be. That's the area where most of the restaurants are located. If it was in one of those buildings, the back door would have faced out onto 1st Street, and the railroad tracks would have been right across the street.
That's what I was thinking too...that center strip of businesses between 101 North and South. Something else in that next block area is an Oil Change Service Center with the same name only with another letter ('e') added. Coincidental?/Maybe.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
That's what I was thinking too...that center strip of businesses between 101 North and South. Something else in that next block area is an Oil Change Service Center with the same name only with another letter ('e') added. Coincidental?/Maybe.
LOL, I saw that too. Anything is possible but my guess is, it's just a coincidence. Difference spelling and it's hard to imagine an oil change place being named after a seafood restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon