U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 AM

3,940 posts, read 9,544,767 times
Default License Plates, Registration, Emissions

About how much does it cost to register and plate a car in Oregon? Also how much is a driver's license? Are there emissions tests in Oregon?

Here in SD it's $45 to register and plate a car. A driver's license is $8 and there are no emissions. Am I in for a BIG surprise?!

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Status: "Still holding on to flip flop weather!" (set 19 hours ago)

4,133 posts, read 7,959,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
About how much does it cost to register and plate a car in Oregon? Also how much is a driver's license? Are there emissions tests in Oregon?

Here in SD it's $45 to register and plate a car. A driver's license is $8 and there are no emissions. Am I in for a BIG surprise?!

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero.
Certain areas have emissions inspection (Portland and Medford areas) and the rest of the state doesn't.

Here's the info on a driver's license and vehicle reg:
State of Oregon: Oregon DMV

The initial fees for a license will be higher than your quoted fees, but the renewals won't.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the link! So I looked it up:

License $55
Reg/Plates $55
Emissions $21 (but free if you don't pass)

What happens if you don't pass emissions? I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I've never had to go through emissions before. Here in SD people drive whatever crappy pile they can!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM

1,848 posts, read 2,002,446 times
Danny, if your car doesn't pass emissions you don't get tags and your not able to register it. I'm shorter terms, it stays parked unit it passes emissions. But as PNW said, this all depends on where you're going to relocate.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 PM

480 posts, read 1,518,533 times
What happens if you don't pass emissions? I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I've never had to go through emissions before. Here in SD people drive whatever crappy pile they can! [/quote]

I found this about a car not passing:

Didn’t pass the test? Take the DEQ print out to a certified repair sho. ]If you are new to the area, it would be easy for you to take your vehicle to the manufacturer dealer – they know what to do. You can also ask around for independent shops near you that have a good reputation and are emissions certified (recommended).
Notes from us… Any item that causes the check engine light, service engine soon light… (MIL – malfunction indicator light) to illuminate results in an emissions test failure. You may wonder why a transmission malfunction (for example) will "fail" your vehicle’s emission test. This is because if ANY component on your vehicle is not operating properly, in the long run will result in decreased fuel mileage and/or increased emissions – PERIOD! If your vehicle is newer (year wise), the factory may warranty a failed emission system component with what is referred to as the 8/80 Emissions Warranty, if the "failure" is actually an emissions item. You may find out in the owner’s manual or by contacting the dealer (service department). When you contact the dealer, make sure to have the correct year, model, VIN and current mileage on your vehicle with the DEQ report card information for them. This way they can get the correct (manufacturer warranty) information for your vehicle – and also be faster to direct/assist you with your needs.

Last edited by Bendite; 04-29-2008 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: deleted brackets

Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I'm kinda nervous about bringing my car out there. It's a 1999 SUV and I get about 12 mpg. YIKES!

Maybe I'll sell it and look around for a car out there!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:49 PM

1,018 posts, read 2,608,648 times
Also note that vehicle registration is good for two years, so it breaks down to less than $30 a year.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Also note that vehicle registration is good for two years, so it breaks down to less than $30 a year.
Oh that's really something to consider too. Thanks! It's a pain in the rear to renew every year. I'm always late too and then I get a ticket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon