Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 02:23 PM

108 posts, read 421,050 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in Portland and struggling mightily financially. I presently work in the service industry (low skill work) but also trying to get an online business off the ground.

I've been doing a ton of research on the topic, and although some places have caught my attention, I thought it would be prudent to reach out to the community here and get your opinion as well.

I'm looking for a city in Oregon where I can *easily* find a blue collar/"low skill" job (any job really), with low cost of living (cheap rent, cheap utilities, cheap groceries, etc.), so that I can continue to invest in my web business. A modern/fast/reliable internet connection is important for the online work that I'm doing. I know other parts of the country might be a better fit, but I'm strictly looking to stay in Oregon because of the connections I already have to the state.

As a busy single male, I don't really need an expensive popular/trendy city with tons of culture, or city attractions, or good school districts or anything like that.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help you may be able to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 03:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Decide how far out you want to be (Baker might be too far)
Look at wage and year round employment data from worksource.

Find a town that still has an operational factory or 24x7 jobs.
Night shift and weekend jobs are good for higher pay, better work, fewer bosses.

I always liked weekend truck driving jobs for high pay and giving me all week off to do more important things.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:16 PM

Good post, thanks for the information.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:16 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,601,340 times
Albany, Woodburn, Springfield, Junction City, maybe Roseburg or The Dalles?

Old 08-22-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Albany, Woodburn, Springfield, Junction City, maybe Roseburg or The Dalles?
Thank you. Any thoughts on the eastern oregon area ? I've heard people say Pendleton, Hermiston, and Umatilla are good small cities to look into with a decent job market and low rent as well.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:05 PM

26,478 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Baker City.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:56 PM

327 posts, read 422,780 times
I think housing costs in The Dalles are high for the size of the town.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:37 PM

Thank you all for all the feedback/assistance. I was wondering if anybody knew of an active community online regarding the eastern oregon area where I can ask or read what citizens are saying about the area ? I'm pretty sure that is my destination.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperwork View Post
Thank you. Any thoughts on the eastern oregon area ? I've heard people say Pendleton, Hermiston, and Umatilla are good small cities to look into with a decent job market and low rent as well.
LaGrande has quite a lot of benefit, being a 'college town' (Venues, speakers, varied economy), And good access to the Blue Mtns, Hell's Canyon, Boise.

Welcome - City of La Grande, Oregon
http://www.city-data.com/city/La-Grande-Oregon.html
Welcome to La Grande, Oregon

IIRC the Forest Service has a pretty large operation there. Getting a night shift job in operations / security / maint would avail you to having every 'day' free for your business or EDU / connection needs.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Baker City.
CIm interested in the city but want to get more information and was hoping you might be able to offer some additional context on why you suggested it. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon