Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 AM

11 posts, read 33,961 times

Advertisements

then I heard what must be one of the stupidest, most Communistic laws still in the U.S.: you can't pump your own gas in Oregon!

It is forcing people to do something for no good reason. Sure, people should have the option, but to have it forced... And the jobs that are being created "thanks" to the law? How many jobs are lost because of this law? Probably a lot more than those "created". Mandatory jobs results in employers having high costs... so businesses don't operate where costs are high... leading to fewer businesses... leading to unemployment! This law is so outrageously stupid, I registered just because I had to get it off my chest!

A "real-deal" academic study, "The Impact of Self-Service Bans in The Retail Gasoline Market" by Ronald N. Johnson and Charles J. Romeo published Nov. 2000 in The Review of Economics and Statistics found that the law, specifically in Oregon, does nothing to help those intended, raises the price of gasoline an average of 3 cents to 5 cents (that's in 2000, it would be even higher now), and have slowed the proliferation of convenience stores that would've otherwise increased selection and lowered prices for everyone. The only other published academic study found the cost of gas goes up, retail store proliferation is hurt (higher prices and lower selection), and even the number of gas stations goes down in "The Economic Effects of New Jersey's Self-Serve Operations Ban on Retail Gasoline Markets" by Donald Vandegrift and Joseph E. Bisti in the Mar. 2001 Journal of Consumer Policy.

That 3 to 5 cents sounds tiny until you realize it easily cost Oregonians, at least, $33 million* in just 2001 alone! That's $33 million people in Oregon could've used for better schools, or better health care, or more food, or whatever. And that's just out-of-pocket costs, and don't include the cost of lost jobs, lost businesses, lost lower prices of other items, etc.

To have this further dissected, feel free to read this:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/745228/posts

On second hand, maybe I should move to Oregon to lobby against such a horrendous law.

*Source:
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/ene_gas_con-energy-gasoline-consumption
Barrels of gas consumed * 31 = gallons of gas consumed * $0.03
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 01:48 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,283 times
So, you were going to move here, but you've decided not to because WE DON'T ALLOW SELF-SERVE GAS.

My God. The inhumanity! Whoever heard of such wretched government abuse? How do we in Oregon live? Forget about issues like pollution, health care, crime, growth, transportation needs. We can't pump our gas.

I can certainly see why you would not want to move here. As a matter of fact, perhaps I'll leave Oregon now that I realize how truly foolish I've been worrying about other issues.

If this is how you choose where to live, then perhaps you shouldn't move here.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:05 AM

103 posts, read 523,786 times
Gosh darn it! And to think that I'm moving there in June. But if I can't pump my own gas, I meen realy, It is the one thing I look foreward too!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times
While I think the law is pretty rediculous I agree with Bobmulk. There are many more life impacting things to worry about than being able to pump gas. But I would be all for voting against it.

We have some relatives who live in Vancouver and they don't have to deal with this silly law. I have also heard of some Portlanders crossing over the bridge to fill up.

However if this law did change think about the impact:

1. Pay at the pump like most US states in the 21 century
2. Fewer gas station attendants providing full service
3. Many ex gas station attendants needing retraining
4. Thousands of Oregonians not knowing how to get there own gas
5. Mass chaos and confusion!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figgypower View Post
then I heard what must be one of the stupidest, most Communistic laws still in the U.S.: you can't pump your own gas in Oregon!

Fine. Stay the hell out.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Oh well, I guess...

I'm sorry; I was being overly melodramatic for no good reason. I was looking for a new State to move to, since I'm in Michigan which is suffering quite a bit. Being in Michigan weather and at 2am was probably the wrong time to realize I could get fined $500 for pumping my own gas.

Did I honestly deserve this, though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Fine. Stay the hell out.
Maybe I did. In retrospect, I was expecting more comments like that and I'm glad that wasn't the case.

On the whole, Oregon looks like an awesome place to be and I found practically no other negatives. I was just thinking that a quarter Billion dollars (33.5 * 7) could be spent on other, bigger societal problems like transportation needs, education or healthcare, but maybe that's just a pittance and you need a whole lot more.

Last edited by figgypower; 05-04-2008 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 01:56 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Believe it or not it has been on the ballot at least twice since I have lived here in my 17 years to REPEAL the law, and guess what Oregonians continue to vote to not be allowed to pump their own gas. Why, is beyond, me but the masses have exercised their rights.

By the way, you can't pump your own gas in NJ either.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:02 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,059 times
Quote:
I'm sorry; I was being overly melodramatic for no good reason. I was looking for a new State to move to, since I'm in Michigan which is suffering quite a bit. [u] Being in Michigan weather and at 2am was probably the wrong time to realize I could get fined $500 for pumping my own gas.
No, I would say you show signs of passive aggressive behavior. Now, I'm not medically trained, but I am perplexed to see you go off on Oregonian laws in the way you did. Not quite sure Oregon is the place for you if that is how you respond to new places with different ways of doing things.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
No, I would say you show signs of passive aggressive behavior. Now, I'm not medically trained, but I am perplexed to see you go off on Oregonian laws in the way you did. Not quite sure Oregon is the place for you if that is how you respond to new places with different ways of doing things.
First, I didn't go of on Oregonians laws; I went off on just one of them. One of my reasons for wanting to come to Oregon was because I liked the vast majority of its laws. That one law imposes severe costs to Oregon society.

Oregon could've given over 3100 families in need good health insurance from 2001 to now -- maybe the ones that are working hard, but still can't afford health insurance. Just half the money could've given the kids of Oregon $125,000,000 for better schooling. You could've then used half the money left over, all $125,000,000, to provide for job training. Or $125,000,000 to improve the roads of Oregon. What about all $250,000,000 to attack crime between 2001 and now in Oregon? What about just $100,000,000 to reduce pollution in Oregon, still leaving $150,000,000 for other societal problems?

People suffering unnecessarily bothers me, sometimes a whole lot; sorry that it does.

Sources:
http://healthinsurance.about.com/od/faqs/f/avgpremium.htm

Old 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
Quote:
First, I didn't go of on Oregonians laws; I went off on just one of them. One of my reasons for wanting to come to Oregon was because I liked the vast majority of its laws. That one law imposes severe costs to Oregon society.

Oregon could've given over 3100 families in need good health insurance from 2001 to now -- maybe the ones that are working hard, but still can't afford health insurance. Just half the money could've given the kids of Oregon $125,000,000 for better schooling. You could've then used half the money left over, all $125,000,000, to provide for job training. Or $125,000,000 to improve the roads of Oregon. What about all $250,000,000 to attack crime between 2001 and now in Oregon? What about just $100,000,000 to reduce pollution in Oregon, still leaving $150,000,000 for other societal problems?

People suffering unnecessarily bothers me, sometimes a whole lot; sorry that it does.

Sources:
Average Health Insurance Premium - Cost for Health Insurance
Is there a point to all this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon