Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 12:38 AM

317 posts, read 307,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Tillamook is about 24 miles away from pacific city. Google says it's about a 35 minute drive. I haven't been out that way in years so I don't know the road or traffic conditions. Quick research shows rents in Tillamook to average a little under 700 dollars. I don't know how accurate that is. Can you get away to check out the area before commiting to the job?
The constant flooding on an almost annual basis would be concerning to me thinking about relocating to this area. While it does seem to be concentrated to specific areas, I would imagine it would make getting around challenging when it is flooded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 09:05 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Flooding only happens on king tides and accompanied by pineapple express storm. A tide or a tropical rain by itself won't give a flooding situation, you need both to occur at the same time. It does happen. Flooding receeds quickly because of the tide fall and rapid river drainage. If you are up in the surrounding hills, you will be fine. Let the PC's Tsunami Map be your guide.

PC is an interesting place. Mom bought a place in PC in 1970 and is now my sister's home. My nieces made good wages as teenagers working at the local restaurants being, young, attractive, surfers, and free use of the house. Lots of changes over the years. I have seen lots of boom and bust cycles there. May-June and Sept-Oct are primo months. July and August are touristy. I've seen days of 100degrees off the beach, and 55degrees on the beach. Fog so thick on July 4th that you could be next to the firework launch site and only see a brightening of the fog and muffled boom. And the sunrise and sunsets spectacular. Depending where you live in PC, you may experience frightening storms or storms that are just wet. In late fall you hear the coming of the geese and the elk rut. I've seen the ocean as flat as glass on Jan 01 and stormy on Jan 02.

Housing is a problem. Housing is relatively inexpensive vs Bend or the Valley homes for purchase. Finding a rental may be challenge.
Use a the local RE and RE search engines.

Salem is 90 minutes (careful). Portland ~100. Lincoln City ~30. Tillamook ~50.
A small post office. No delivery. There is HS internet. A nice local library and small accommodating grocery store.
A local brewery (Pelican) and couple of local year round pubs/restaurants. Stocked hardware-lumber store.
Nice community center.
The people who developed the cape, Kiwanda shores, the community center, the Hotel, I hear are nice people who saw an opportunity in the 90's.

Lots of activities that are outdoor related. PC has a small airfield. Wave to the CoastGuard as they helicopter patrol the coastline or say hello if they land at the airfield.

Last edited by leastprime; 04-21-2021 at 09:20 PM..

Old 04-24-2021, 09:22 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I've seen days of 100degrees off the beach, and 55degrees on the beach.
100 degrees must be rare. Or have unusually high-temp heat waves become a thing the last few years? Seattle was predicted to have a week in the 100's within several more weeks in the 90's a few years ago, but the triple-digit temps never occurred, mercifully. And Seattle is inland, where temps trend warmer anyway, so I'm surprised the OR coast may get 100-degree temps, other than as a fluke.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:40 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
The only cities on the Oregon Coast that have ever recorded temperatures of 100 degrees are North Bend and Astoria and that was in 1979 https://www.plantmaps.com/oregon-rec...rature-map.php

Most other towns on the coast have all-time record highs of around 93-97 degrees and average high temperatures in July and August in the low 60s.

Old 04-24-2021, 02:43 PM

There are two instruments that were nonexistent in Mom's beach house. -Clocks and thermometers.
OK, I concede. Occasionally, it gets very warm and depending where you are are, very hot or very cold when the summer's east wind comes down thru the gorge.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:13 AM

The Rock, hasn't sailed away.
Pacific City Webcam
But one day, it may.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:51 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I love the Oregon coast BUT it is on nature's shortlist. 35% odds that within the next 50 years it will be swept away. Research the Cascadia Fault.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:51 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I love the Oregon coast BUT it is on nature's shortlist. 35% odds that within the next 50 years it will be swept away. Research the Cascadia Fault.
What's your source on the 35% odds?

Old 05-03-2021, 09:01 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The coast won't be swept away. It will look largely the same. But people foolish enough to build and own houses on the shoreline will likely lose them. And many communities might be cut off from the rest of the state for long periods of time where 101 collapses, or the mountain roads to the valley.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:12 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
As I recall those odds are related here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiojgMBQPBM&t=248s

https://www.oregongeology.org/pubs/t...1_onscreen.pdf

Yes, we will have a coast but it won't be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon