U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 AM

36 posts, read 128,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
I actually grew up camping pretty much every single flippin weekend, so Im totally Anti-Camping. I truly dont understand the draw, BUT, I get it that some people love it, so I'll help if I can. sigh. lol
Tiff, it's funny. My parents took us five kids camping almost every weekend too. So much that I thought I would never go camping when I grew up. If I live blocks from the beach why would I want to drive to a campground to see the same thing I can see from home?

So that was the way it was until Tillamook County started offering free camping at the County campgrounds once a year for residents. I figured what the heck, it's free, lets give it a shot. It turned out that I had a totally different perspective as an adult.

As a kid, I had resented having to go get the water, gather the firewood, etc. I missed watching TV and it seemed like to took forever for our meals to get made. As an adult, I found that cooking changed from a routine chore to a challenge, you're never quite sure how something will turn out when cooking on a fire/campstove!

The biggest difference comes after sunset. As a kid I had always been bored at night, no more playing in the woods and no TV to watch. But now I appreciated how we had nothing to do but sit by the campfire and actually interact with each other. Make smores, talk, listen to the ocean, things we rarely take as much time to do at home. So I still like my comfy bed, dishwasher and high speed internet access, but I've come to appreciate the change of pace of camping in a whole new light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:17 PM

5,577 posts, read 7,998,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
Hello,
I'm wondering what the best time of year for camping in the coastal campgrounds? I'm assuming July and August are great, what about mid/late June or early Sept?
The Summer's are crowded and can be loud with all the other campers. There is also a lot of traffic. Our favorite time to camp on the coast is actually during the off season. Sometimes the reservation rates are even a few dollars lower. After storms are a great time to go - high winds and stormy weather wash all kinds of sea treasures up on the beach - perfect time for beach combing!

Quote:
Also, anyone have a favorite campground?
I'm not sure where you are coming from, but Sunset Beach is sheltered from the winds and is a wonderful spot. They have yurts you can reserve which means you don't have to pack as much. A short drive north of Sunset Beach are the Dunes with lots of places to rent dune buggies and ATV's. There's a Fisherman's Wharf in North Bend? Charleston? I'm sorry... there are a lot of little towns sort of bunched up right there... just north of Coos Bay... anyway... they have good fresh seafood. We sat and had crab that had been caught and cooked that morning while we watched another crab boat being unloaded on the docks.

Quote:
I understand most that have reservable camp sites are all probably booked during peak times, so I might be looking at midweek. I just have a mid-sized tent, no camper, so no power or water hookups are needed.

I have a 3 and 6 yr old, so we normally just go overnight or two nights max.

thx
Higgs
You never need reservations - you can always show up and find a spot - but if you want a certain site or are staying for more than one or two nights the camp hosts recommend reservations. You are right - Summer's are busy and all the cabins and yurts are usually booked. There are always a few tent sites open though. At least in our experience. Also, there are so many campsites along the coast that if one is completely full there's a good chance that one nearby has a site waiting for you.

If you check out reserveamerica.com there is a lot of helpful info there. You can book the sites - tent, yurt, cabin, RV, etc - online up to I think 9 months ahead of time. You can also call them to make reservations or to ask them to check and see if there are any yurts or cabins available along the coast. It's a great service.

Happy camping!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
I like the cabins some places have. We have em here at Basendorf (spl??) and they look reasonably priced.
We just checked on reserving a cabin at the Bastendorff campground (link for the campground here (http://www.co.coos.or.us/ccpark/bastendorff/ - broken link)...) and the cabins are going for $30 per night. They are totally booked through the summer though. Bummer.

We've never camped there, but it looks like it would be a nice campsite for families who don't want to go too "woodsy". There are nice bathrooms and a large older playground for the kiddies and a nice beach. Not very many cabins but the ones that were there looked nice and sort of tucked in so they look like they would feel more private than the tent or RV sites.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 AM

95 posts, read 260,197 times
OMG you have to go to Florence. The huge state park/campground just on the south edge of Florence. It is PERFECT for families. It is a HUGE campground, with very nice shower facilities. You can walk over the dunes to ocean beaches, or even better, there is a terrific lake at the campground surrounded by the dunes. The kids LOVE to play in the sand, then cool off in the lake. You can rent peddle boats, it is just a great family place. HAVE FUN!!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM

95 posts, read 260,197 times
OMG you have to go to Florence. The huge state park/campground just on the south edge of Florence. It is PERFECT for families. It is a HUGE campground, with very nice shower facilities. You can walk over the dunes to ocean beaches, or even better, there is a terrific lake at the campground surrounded by the dunes. The kids LOVE to play in the sand, then cool off in the lake. You can rent peddle boats, it is just a great family place. HAVE FUN!!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM

theRain - I think you are talking about Tugman? We just camped at Tugman two weekends ago with our two kids and it was great. It's loud - you constantly here the traffic from hwy 101 - but other than that it is great. The camp hosts at the time - JJ and Ernie - were SO nice and helpful. Love them. Eel lake at the Tugman campsite is perfect for fishing, kayaking, whatever... there is a little sandy beach and swimming hole area that the kids love. There are also really great climbing trees and a wide open flat sort of grassy area with a playground, gazebo and picnic tables... Tugman has yurts you can rent, too.

The Dunes are great... but for camping if you are looking for a quiet, peaceful sort of place, I wouldn't recommend it. If you are going specifically for ATV and the dunes then that would be great... but for quiet I'd recommend some other place like Lake Waldo or even Sunset Beach or Bandon or Oswald is awesome if you can get a spot.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 PM

2,096 posts, read 5,845,990 times
Manzanite,
You made some great points for campers....
BUT, Im a pretty lousy cook, so cooking is always an adventure to me! LOL!!! And we bbq year round, (yeah for charcole! hehe)
im pretty anti-tv, so we do a lot of yapping w/each other, and board/card games, so there goes that....
man, i sure am a wet blanket, eh? You make these wonderful points, and youre totally right!!! Im not trying to knock you (or your points) down! I think youre absolutly right, just i live a lot like that anyhow. And we too, live right down from the beach, spent 3yrs living a stones throw where we listened to the waves each night and seals in the morning.....beautiful sound that never gets old! But I know most people arent so blessed. I know a lot of people love to camp.....im just sure as heck not one of them! lol
But hey, I LOVE staying in any beachside motel/hotel!!! Ya, I know, Im a lousy example of a native Oregonian......
but for those who love to camp, Oregon is the place for you!! I might not getcha, but I totally salute you!
Tiff

Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM

hey tiff -

We are looking for a small home to buy and that's exactly what my husband and I have been looking for : a home that feels like we're camping all the time!

We love camping but we feel like we'd love camping out in the backyard even more! You can use your own potty!

One of the things I absolutely love about Oregon is that if you LIVE here, just about anything you'd want to see or do can be done with a day trip. We are in Eugene and we've even gone to Astoria to visit for a day and then been back home to sleep in our own beds that night. It was awesome. And the drive was beautiful. I love this place.

I was a lousy campfire cook until we started using the foil cooking method. Now we cook everything ahead of time, and freeze it. When we head out to go camping, we practically dump everything from the freezer into the camping cooler. At the campsite we dump it into a foil pocket, wrap up, and steam it until it's heated through again. Last time we camped we made some really awesome fajita's this way! I also made some puerco pibil (pork shoulder seasoned with an achiote paste and slow roasted in banana leaves) and some enchiladas the next night. And the clean-up is minimal. We even wash and reuse our freezer zip-lock bags so we don't feel so wasteful. I should prolly eventually get some freezable reusable containers though... We freeze bagel breakfast sandwiches that we've cooked ahead of time and frozen for breakfast. Just wrap in foil and stick over the campfire until it's heated through again. Yum.

Can you recycle aluminum foil that you've used for cooking? Hmmm... So far we've just been throwing it away but I always feel bad for doing that... we try hard to reduce the amount of trash we have whether we're at home or camping out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon