U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 02:41 PM

37 posts, read 88,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Swing by Chama / northern mtn areas within commute of Taos, NM on your way west.

Quaint town might require and expensive tourist town (I grew up on a ranch near Estes Park, CO. Was nice in the 1950s! Tad too trendy today.

Frazer / Winter Park, CO worth a look, but very cold in winter.

Also look into Pagosa Springs, CO, then on into Utah, north from where I-80 enters and north to Bear Lake.

Idaho has some swell mtn towns. Sandpoint area has very good access to WA and MT, and BC.

Just met with retirees living near Joseph, OR (NE- Blue Mtns).

Try to find a medium sized town with a Jr College and a hospital and hopefully a commuter airport, and air evac services.

Been living next door to Oregon for 40 yrs. I'm not moving there, tho visit often, sometimes 3x/ day.
I will print this list and give some a try We looked closely to Sandpoint, but decided Idaho is not on the list

I will check videos of Joseph in a few minutes

Our largest issue seems to be finding mountain land with A LOT...of trees covering the land and the town.

Seems we must choose between the snow we want and forest covered mountains, in all these months of searching, still have not found those two together....

Aside from Leavenworth WA...but, alas, the theme of the downtown would grow old for us after the first few months LOL

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
For around Hood River with a more immediate mountain feel, consider Parkdale to the south of it. And maybe north of White Salmon WA.

IF you liked Walla Walla reasonably well and could see it as your 2nd hop bigger city, then La Grande OR seems like a pretty good target to me.

Talent OR might work.

Minden / Gardernerville NV?

Sandpoint ID?

North or south of Livingston MT?

West of Buffalo WY?

Outside of Park City and Heber UT, like Francis, Oakley or Coalville?

Carbondale or Eagle CO? Dolores CO?

Red River NM?

A little bit north of Dahlonega GA? Middlebury VT? Around Luray VA? Conway / North Conway NH?

Thrse are mountain areas near towns and cities of requested sizes. Some fancier than others.
Thank you again!
I will print this and begin taking a look by road trip videos first.

I just mentioned that it becoming so obvious that finding MOUNTAIN land that is tree COVERED and...snow in winter is proving near impossible for us to find...the towns with the snow we want are in states that are high desert...rocks and a lot of sagebrush type land, which is the exact opposite of what pleases us

We have adjusted our wants down to a choice of only two things...so it is either no snow or no tree-covered town. In this case, sadly, it will have to be no snow on our land for us. Just amazing how difficult it was to find both. We tried removing snow in the actual town...just on our land due to elevation, but mountain land has to remain top of the list for my husband

Thank you again for all of your help! I am going to spend a few days adjusting my sails and starting over with new parameters LOL :/

A lot of very tree-covered mountain land which if forest-like, not desert. Colorado is Beautiful but does not have the Trees we need to have, for example.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:33 PM

664 posts, read 439,421 times
You didn't give us a budget you are looking at, or if you are looking for land only, or do you want turn-key in a nice house. Anyway, for Joseph and Wallowa Lake area in Oregon. A stunningly beautiful, but Isolated area. You will get plenty of snow every year!!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...35954716_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...11413924_zpid/

Outside of Elgin, in the Palmer Valley. Most years you get plenty of snow by Thanksgiving, but recent years have been a bit warm and more rain than snow until January.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...86336125_zpid/

By Cove and La Grande:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...8669877_zpid/?

Certainly in the trees above Baker City, OR

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...01931052_zpid/

Above John Day, OR in the snow zone.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...71514578_zpid/

Sandy River front property at the base of Mt Hood. About 30 minutes or less from Portland's east suburbs.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...73123550_zpid/

Outside of Sweet Home, OR
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/L...79736156_zpid/

Old 09-28-2021, 03:47 PM

6,499 posts, read 6,860,110 times
Lots of snow and trees in town of certain size & amenities...

is Sandpoint ID. Carbondale CO should have enough snow. I'd think enough trees too, but you decide.

Also Whitefish MT. Steamboat CO (except for an upscale bigger nearby city). Park City UT. Truckee CA.

Some places like Joseph Oregon are probably not big enough on downtown for you. Pagosa Springs CO might be a close call. Not enough for some, barely enough for others.

Sandpoint is likely to have 2 feet of snow on ground in town in late Dec. Whitefish one. Steamboat, 3 feet. Truckee. 3-4 feet. Park City, could be 1-3 feet.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-28-2021 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 08:52 AM

664 posts, read 439,421 times
North of Spokane, WA would have the snow and trees too, similar to Sandpoint. North of Missoula, MT towards Kalispell or Lookout Pass. South of Belt, MT with Great Falls as your city. West and South of Helena, MT. North of Butte, MT towards both Helena and Missoula. Maybe around Jackson and Cody, WY, and around Hailey, ID. Even some places north of Santa Fe, NM in the Gallatin Pass or on towards the mountains with the Ski Santa Fe ski resort.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri L View Post
Hi,
My husband and I will retire in the next 2 years and the title breaks it down to what is most important to us.
It is our must-haves .

Does not have to be OR, but would be our first choice if snowy forests exist there. Most of what I have seen up close was only the coastal areas.

The few photos of the eastern areas and even that have Cascades show very desert like conditions, not heavily forested.

Love the trees of Portland area but want snow in December every year even if it means snow starts in Nov.

Is Oregon just too far west for what we want?

Thank you!
Sherri
Hi, Sherri.

I see you're in Georgetown, TX. I have several friends in the Austin area. I'm originally from Houston but now live in La Grande, Oregon.

The NE corner of Oregon has a lot of forested mountain land and gets snow. Here in La Grande we get a day or more of light snow in November/December and then usually snow on the ground January through March. I'm in town, though. The properties more in the mountains get more snow and sooner in the year.

I really love La Grande. The population is around 15k including Island City. The downtown is cute and active. We have a neat underground market with boutique shopping and several local/indie restaurants. We have a fabulous farmer's market during the summer months through October.

If you want a little more remote you can look in the Wallowa valley just next to us. Smaller towns, more in the mountains, and more remote. It's beautiful in this NE corner of Oregon and often overlooked.

The closest big shopping is either in the Tri-cities of Washington or in Boise, ID. We have a Walmart here in LG but that's it for the big box stores. Costco, Target, Home Depot are all outside the valley.

If you want even more snow I would also recommend Kalispell, MT. It's gorgeous up there but their winters are much harder. But if that's up your alley, it's an amazing place.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2021, 08:30 AM

30,178 posts, read 41,230,033 times
La Pine is heavily forested and gets plenty of snow. Sun River, just north of there has trees and snow and is more California-like in design and costs.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:56 AM

5,272 posts, read 5,790,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri L View Post
Hi Parnassia

Our *dream/wish* list~~~

What we will get:
Mountain acreage with a lot of trees
Snow season with at least One foot of snow by Christmas in the mountains where our home will be and continual snow until
that area's spring comes.
We *hope* spring begins in March...even if the last week

Warm summers mid to high 70's and below 90's

The town nearest us having a population range above 8K although only that low if the downtown is large in comparison to that. Smaller than 30K.

Yes, the downtown area is VERY important to us We will be retired and will want eclectic dining and shopping.

The bonuses would be a town with an artistic flair with festivals, music, antique shopping, colorful buildings, those types of things.

Being specific because, why not? LOL...................................

Would love it if a larger town was within a 2-hour drive or less if even possible...larger meaning a population less than 60-80K preferred.

I am not saying we must have ALL that LOL of course, but it is just information to pick and choose from except the tree-covered mountains with a foot or more of snow on the ground every day in December and January at least, and a nice town (well maintained and not fully themed)....................

l
With your listed criteria, there are literally thousands of places that meet your criteria.

Every home I have owned or lived in since 1978 met that criteria.

In fact, right now I own a vacation home that meets all that criteria. It is a "vacation" rental, since people like spending sometime in that environment, but NOT living there in winter.

Everybody was a full-time resident when we bought our second home there. In less than five years everybody was a second home owner as full-time residents moved out. Right now the state of Washington is buying the homes and tearing them down. There are only about ten homes left on the meadow.

BUT....if you really want to find your "special" place.

Step one, go to your local Forest Service office and ask for the Forest Service phone directory. It lists EVERY FOREST SERVICE office in the country. They probably will give you a out dated directory!!!

Step two, start looking at towns with a Forest Service office and decide which towns you really like. These days that is pretty simple with searching the internet for the local newspaper, real estate listings, and weather.

Step three, once you find the town start looking at the area OUTSIDE of town. There is a reason the Forest Service office is located there, they are centrally located to trees and mountains. In some cases, there is little private land in the area, but in many cases plenty of homes and land for sale.

AND you only need to find ONE!!

Old 05-31-2022, 02:41 PM

@509 THANK YOU!
This is wonderful info
We will be traveling to our choice next year finally and the search is still on. We will take your advice/suggestions and run with them! LOL

Thank you again for the help, have an amazing life!
Sherri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
With your listed criteria, there are literally thousands of places that meet your criteria.

Every home I have owned or lived in since 1978 met that criteria.

In fact, right now I own a vacation home that meets all that criteria. It is a "vacation" rental, since people like spending sometime in that environment, but NOT living there in winter.

Everybody was a full-time resident when we bought our second home there. In less than five years everybody was a second home owner as full-time residents moved out. Right now the state of Washington is buying the homes and tearing them down. There are only about ten homes left on the meadow.

BUT....if you really want to find your "special" place.

Step one, go to your local Forest Service office and ask for the Forest Service phone directory. It lists EVERY FOREST SERVICE office in the country. They probably will give you a out dated directory!!!

Step two, start looking at towns with a Forest Service office and decide which towns you really like. These days that is pretty simple with searching the internet for the local newspaper, real estate listings, and weather.

Step three, once you find the town start looking at the area OUTSIDE of town. There is a reason the Forest Service office is located there, they are centrally located to trees and mountains. In some cases, there is little private land in the area, but in many cases plenty of homes and land for sale.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,442 posts, read 50,679,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

I'm not sure of the current status or availability of Forest Service leased land for cabins in Oregon.

Friends in WA had a 99 yr lease on a cabin site near Cle Elum, certain restrictions apply, but very nice forest setting and quite private.

https://www.nationalforesthomeowners.../Cabin_Program
https://mhfha.clubexpress.com/conten...dule_id=358185
https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/mthood/...-permits/other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon