Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 10:22 AM

37 posts, read 98,932 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I will retire in the next 2 years and the title breaks it down to what is most important to us.
It is our must-haves .

Does not have to be OR, but would be our first choice if snowy forests exist there. Most of what I have seen up close was only the coastal areas.

The few photos of the eastern areas and even that have Cascades show very desert like conditions, not heavily forested.

Love the trees of Portland area but want snow in December every year even if it means snow starts in Nov.

Is Oregon just too far west for what we want?

Thank you!
Sherri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 11:06 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,443 times
I suggest the Michigan upper peninsula (Marquette or Houghton), or northern Maine (Caribou or Presque Isle). No mountains, but there are hills

Good luck in your search.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:12 AM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
It depends what size "town" you want and/or how near you want to be a city. If you want better targeted suggestions, give a population size range for that "town".

Like snow in December? A couple times, or 3-4 times a week? 50 inches per year, 100 or more or way way more? Snow in November? Snow in March and April? Snow on the ground for much of 3 months or up to 6? Snowpack in the hills into May or June? Need to know how much you like and are willing to deal with snow.

There are forested areas near Bend, Prineville, Sisters, La Grande, Baker City, John Day, Enterprise, Oakridge, Sweet Home, Lakeview, Medford, Shady Grove, Diamond Lake, Richland / Halfway and smaller places.

Some of these might be called mountain towns. Others might call them near the mountains towns.

Central and eastern Oregon has more landscape diversity than most realize. Yes there is desert, near desert and high desert but also farm valleys with enough water, plenty of forest and mountains at different heights, desert lakes & rivers, forest lakes & rivers and mountain lakes. If interested, look for videos and descriptions of the Blue Mountains, John Day river, Wallowas, Gearhart Mountain, Strawberry Mountain, Three Sister Wilderness, Sky Lakes, Crater Lake, Lake of the Woods, Ochoco Mountains, Steen Mountains, etc.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-18-2021 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-18-2021, 01:51 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri L View Post
Hi,
My husband and I will retire in the next 2 years and the title breaks it down to what is most important to us.
It is our must-haves .

Does not have to be OR, but would be our first choice if snowy forests exist there. Most of what I have seen up close was only the coastal areas.

The few photos of the eastern areas and even that have Cascades show very desert like conditions, not heavily forested.

Love the trees of Portland area but want snow in December every year even if it means snow starts in Nov.

Is Oregon just too far west for what we want?

Thank you!
Sherri
Are there heavily forested snowy mountain towns in Oregon? Yes, lots! If you think Oregon is too far west for snowy forested mountains, you're looking at the wrong photos. I don't know what information sources you've used to learn about OR or other western states but I suggest you toss them and find better ones.

First, you need to understand that elevation, soils, precipitation, and length of the growing season influences how forested parts of any mountain range will be, regardless how far west or east. The highest alpine regions of most mountains are NOT covered with forest but they aren't what you're considering desert either. Too cold and too snowy. The vegetation in alpine regions is very slow growing or dwarfed because of the short growing season and thin soils. Too severe for large trees. They may appear bare in photos but they're not. As the terrain, slope, exposure, and lack of soil gets more severe, there simply isn't enough soil to support any plant growth at all. Its bare rock.

Sure, there are areas along the east side of the Cascades without heavy forest but it depends on just where along the range you are. The western slopes of the Cascades are both snowy (again, depending on the elevation) and forested except where the trees were logged off! Even the Coast Range gets snow at least part of most years. Then you have the Blue and Wallowa mountains in the NE corner of OR. Those ranges have forests and get snow every year too.

Obviously, the farther south you go the more desert-like the mountains will appear be but we're talking hundreds of miles farther south...into the desert SW: the SE parts of CA, AZ, NM, southern UT, etc. They get snow too, but the climate in many areas of the SW is simply too dry to support dense forest.

When only using photos of forested areas to judge how much snow they get you're also forgetting wind. Snow doesn't just stay on most trees all winter where it will show up in photos. Wind knocks it off. Even winter sun can be enough to melt snow off tree branches. There may be a lot of snow UNDER that tree canopy you can't see in a distance photo. You won't realize its there until you walk the ground. In the eastern deciduous mountains snow is more visible during the winter because those trees lose their leaves and you can see the snow covered ground under them. Western mountains are mostly covered in evergreen conifers.

Enough of the off-the-cuff ecology lesson. You have a lot to learn about the West, OP. Enjoy the education!

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-18-2021 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-18-2021, 02:23 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,515 times
I'll throw in a few more places, Hood River, Rogue Valley area - Grants Pass, Ashland. The listed places usually get snow 3-4 times a winter, rarely accumulating enough to cause problems.

If you want snow on the ground all winter probably Bend, but be prepared.... a lot of people think that sounds fun until year 2-3, then reality sets in.

What's your budget, house size, lot size needs? City size, medical care requirements, etc. That will give people a better idea in which direction to point you.

Old 09-18-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It depends what size "town" you want and/or how near you want to be a city. If you want better targeted suggestions, give a population size range for that "town".

Like snow in December? A couple times, or 3-4 times a week? 50 inches per year, 100 or more or way way more? Snow in November? Snow in March and April? Snow on the ground for much of 3 months or up to 6? Snowpack in the hills into May or June? Need to know how much you like and are willing to deal with snow.

There are forested areas near Bend, Prineville, Sisters, La Grande, Baker City, John Day, Enterprise, Oakridge, Sweet Home, Lakeview, Medford, Shady Grove, Diamond Lake, Richland / Halfway and smaller places.

Some of these might be called mountain towns. Others might call them near the mountains towns.

Central and eastern Oregon has more landscape diversity than most realize. Yes there is desert, near desert and high desert but also farm valleys with enough water, plenty of forest and mountains at different heights, desert lakes & rivers, forest lakes & rivers and mountain lakes. If interested, look for videos and descriptions of the Blue Mountains, John Day river, Wallowas, Gearhart Mountain, Strawberry Mountain, Three Sister Wilderness, Sky Lakes, Crater Lake, Lake of the Woods, Ochoco Mountains, Steen Mountains, etc.
Hi Parnassia
Thank you for such a wonderful reply!

Exactly why this forum is most often the most helpful...beyond captioned photos on-line

Our *dream/wish* list~~~

What we will get:
Mountain acreage with a lot of trees
Snow season with at least One foot of snow by Christmas in the mountains where our home will be and continual snow until
that area's spring comes.
We *hope* spring begins in March...even if the last week

Warm summers mid to high 70's and below 90's

The town nearest us having a population range above 8K although only that low if the downtown is large in comparison to that. Smaller than 30K.

Yes, the downtown area is VERY important to us We will be retired and will want eclectic dining and shopping.

The bonuses would be a town with an artistic flair with festivals, music, antique shopping, colorful buildings, those types of things.

Being specific because, why not? LOL

Flowers out spring and summer both wild and just decor even downtown. I mention it because where I am now we NEVER see flowers around and I miss that most from where I have lived before.

We likely may not want a town that has a *too specific* of a theme...Leavenworth seems Gorgeous at Christmas but too *themed* for us.
Aspen CO and Asheville NC downtowns are just two examples of the type of downtown we would love to have.

Would love it if a larger town was within a 2-hour drive or less if even possible...larger meaning a population less than 60-80K preferred.

I am not saying we must have ALL that LOL of course, but it is just information to pick and choose from except the tree-covered mountains with a foot or more of snow on the ground every day in December and January at least, and a nice town (well maintained and not fully themed).

I suppose it would have been easier to say our perfect place would be:
Aspen for winter
Central CA coast for spring
Laguna Niguel CA summers
Blue Ridge Mountains for Autumn

LOL
That is what traveling is for right??

Thank you again so much for your post! it was helpful and refreshing and I appreciate you!

Also...as a slight mention; I have lived in Walla Walla WA so am familiar with the Cascades in that area even though getting snow in WW is hit or miss and even a few miles up the range can be snow-less past the Christmas season. But that is for a different post

...the town/towns below and near us *can* have a bit less snow of course, but still prefer December snow in town.
It is okay if snowfall begins at the end of November usually.

Snow mel

Old 09-18-2021, 04:54 PM

@ gray horse
Thank you!
I am sorry...I gave some information in my reply to *Parnassia* that would be helpful.

As for snow, we have lived enough time in snow to know all well that the honeymoon ends when the mush and mud begin just before spring is in full force LOL

Thank you again, I appreciate your suggestions and comments

Sherri

Old 09-18-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

@NW CROW

Thank you for your reply!
I am grateful for your suggestions and WILL check into them We are familiar with all of them but not by living there or spending time there. We lived in Walla Walla WA. It has been such a long time since I have heard these names!

I have spent time on the coast, but that does not help us now LOL

Wallowa is wonderful for the trees we want so it is next in line for videos etc. and since I have time...I will be watching road trip videos and hiking videos etc. of ALL the places you mentioned, so thank you again for your time and suggestions!

Sherri

Old 09-18-2021, 05:17 PM

6,855 posts, read 4,853,645 times
There are ski resorts on Mt. Hood. Various towns nearby. Maybe you'd like Montana.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:27 PM

@E-TWIST
Hi!
Thank you Hood River is a place we are looking into, so beautiful around there!

Sherri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon