Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 02:16 PM

270 posts, read 193,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Uh oh.

Roseburg wouldn't be a good fit for someone of the liberal persuasion.

Talent? Jacksonville?

Ashland is all right as well, but traffic gets snarly during Shakespeare season.
I don't really understand why? It might not have liberal nightlives, or gay bars, but compared to places like south Georgia and Alabama, I would think it would be a town one could meet friends without being a member of a church? Much of the south one has trouble getting along with being a member of a church.

How is Roseburg oppressive?

Talent and Ashland would be too cold in winter for me to get outside. Too close to forest fires,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 02:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzarkLady View Post
I don't really understand why? It might not have liberal nightlives, or gay bars, but compared to places like south Georgia and Alabama, I would think it would be a town one could meet friends without being a member of a church? Much of the south one has trouble getting along with being a member of a church.

Talent and Ashland would be too cold in winter for me to get outside. Too close to forest fires,.
Ok.

I guess I don't think of liberalism as pertaining to night life or gay bars. I'm sure you can make friends there without setting foot in a church; what I'm not sure about is whether you can avoid the extremist views that seem prevalent there. ETA you mentioned being of the liberal persuasion, which I took to mean that the overall community narrative is at least somewhat important to you.

My suggestion is to join a Facebook group or two specific to Roseburg and see if you think you could stand living there.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-24-2021 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-24-2021, 03:20 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:

No one is going to persecute you if you move to Roseburg. It is more a question of whether the community matches your own political persuasions or not. Douglas County (of which Roseburg is the count seat and largest town) was notorious a few years ago for voting to close all of its local libraries because folks didn’t want to pay the small tax premium required to keep them open https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...ies_to_cl.html. I think some have since re-opened with volunteers but they aren’t what they once were. Douglas county was one of the epicenters of Covid-related anti-vax hysteria in Oregon and consequently had one of the highest Covid hospitalization and death rates in the state. Gun rights seem to be more important than any other political issue and after a mass shooting at a local community college a few years back the gun nuts came out in force to protest the slightest change in gun laws, complete with confederate flags and such. Gun “nuttery” and anti-tax hysteria basically determine the politics in Douglas County.

If you are of like-minded political sentiment you’ll probably find Roseburg right up your alley. If you are of different political persuasion, you’ll have to decide whether you want to be on the losing side of every political issue of any import in that community. Because you will be. Some people are largely apolitical and really don’t care. Others not so much. Only you can decide.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:26 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
...after a mass shooting at a local community college a few years back the gun nuts came out in force to protest the slightest change in gun laws, complete with confederate flags and such.
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...g_declare.html

Old 10-24-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
California's tax rate depends on your income:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...rnia-state-tax

It does not tax social security:

https://smartasset.com/retirement/ca...tirement-taxes

California is very high cost of living, though. Maybe Eureka, in far north California, would work. Several hours from anything, so cost of living is more reasonable, but it is several hours from anything.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks , but I'm looking for Oregon.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's what the flag symbolizes that they relate to. It's two words. One starts with a W and the other with an S.
That not only seems sick, but inauthentic, unless they were from the deep south before the middle sixties. I spent two years in Anacortes mid-sixties and it was a "man's man" culture, but not directly racist as the South was back then. Perhaps I'm out of touch, I do think some baby-boomer thinking is younger generation, yet I would assume the older generations in the deep south are most traditionally conservative.

When I lived in Anacortes, I came across much sexist thinking, but it was not so grounded in the evangelical fundamentalist protestant religion as the South is to this day.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
That not only seems sick, but inauthentic, unless they were from the deep south before the middle sixties. I spent two years in Anacortes mid-sixties and it was a "man's man" culture, but not directly racist as the South was back then. Perhaps I'm out of touch, I do think some baby-boomer thinking is younger generation, yet I would assume the older generations in the deep south are most traditionally conservative.

When I lived in Anacortes, I came across much sexist thinking, but it was not so grounded in the evangelical fundamentalist protestant religion as the South is to this day.
Here's an article that will give you a sense of Oregon's history:

https://www.nrtoday.com/print_only/a...24acb7d82.html

Old 10-25-2021, 08:35 AM

679 posts, read 877,108 times
As a former Oregon resident who has lived in Portland, Jacksonville and the Oregon coast, I would not recommend Roseburg to someone who leans liberal. In 2015 after the mass shooting there, President Obama went there to meet with the grieving families and I was stunned to read about the residents lining the streets protesting his visit.

I’ve stopped there a few times during trips up and down I-5 and it’s very isolated. I found it to be a somewhat dreary place. You mentioned not wanting to live in southern Oregon because of the weather, but it is not going to be much different.

Apart from the larger population centers, rural Oregon is actually quite conservative. Even the cannabis growers I knew in Gold Beach were Republicans.

Old 10-25-2021, 10:06 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Roseburg is a "blue collar" town, the people will respect your political views just as long as you respect theirs. As with most conservative towns in Oregon they will stand up for their Constitutional rights and they will let you know when you start to infringe upon those rights.

If you're looking for a liberal leaning towns, then look at towns in the Willamette Valley, starting with Eugene and going north from there. In Central Oregon, it would be Bend and in Southern Oregon it would be Ashland.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:08 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Medford is a Meca for California retirees.

Woodburn has a large active senior community, single-family dwellings and in one area mobile homes.

https://woodburnestatesgolf.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon