Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,791 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with "meth" that everyone keeps talking about? I mean... tweekers are everywhere so I guess I'm kinda confused about why everyone in Oregon is so fixated on it. I hear that a lot: "watch out for the meth problem" and I wonder what exactly is the problem? Can some Oregonians possibly outline the problem to me? I've heard it thrown around so generally and I'm not really sure what effect it is having on people who do not do it. Here in California (at least Southern) people use meth all the time to get skinny and such shallow goals but it doesn't really affect the people (like myself) who do not use. Would anyone care to elaborate?

Old 12-04-2006, 01:55 PM

148 posts, read 238,953 times
It has been around for decades here, but our local newspaper turned it into a problem.

http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3220/7368/

Just like any drug problem, you have thieves stealing for their habits. But with all the hype over it, they try to pin most crimes on meth. Drugs and crime have always gone together, but if it is a bigger problem than it has always been, I don't know. I know it was a huge club drug here in the 1990's, so it was popular in non-junky circles.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:48 PM

180 posts, read 583,232 times
Medth is also called hillbilly crack.. the people who are the problem arent the ones who do a little to stay awake and party but the ones who use it constantly. Yes its a problem, but no worse here then in other areas I have seen (such as the areas around Fontana CA)... bottom line is that wherever you go you will have problem people. In my neighborhood we have found working closely with the commnity liason officer has greatly improved the situation.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:18 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Meth is the drug of poverty culture and Oregon became the epicenter of meth synthesis back in the 1980s (probably because of all the backwoods nooks and crannies where clandestine meth labs could easily go undetected). As people with low job skills were squeezed out of roughneck jobs in resource extraction industries, some of them turned to meth manufacture out of desperation. Being the first state in the nation to see meth rise to an epidemic, Oregon also has the longest history of dealing with the problem, and the situation is much improved. Recent federal legislation that restricts the sale of feedstock drugs used in the manufacture of meth has moved most of the manufacturing labs to Mexico. Border states probably now have more of a problem than the PNW. But reputations linger long after reality has changed.
To a certain extent, it's true that non-users are less affected. But meth is a very expensive drug problem that quickly saps local and county law enforcement, judicial and mental health budgets. You pay for meth interdiction with your tax dollars. Homes used as former meth labs are toxic cleanup sites that require expensive abatement procedures. There are undoubtedly hundreds of people who live in such homes and are completely unaware of the health risks they're being exposed to. And finally, as already mentioned, where there is meth, there is crime. It's mostly theft, but an increased risk of violent crime is also present. If living in a low-crime area is a priority, do your homework before selecting your neighborhood. The presence of a lot of ramshackle homes, older manufactured homes, or unkempt properties with vicious dogs should raise major red flags -- often one of the unmentioned liabilities of "affordable areas".

Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM

61 posts, read 212,900 times
Living in upper Wi (Lincoln County to be exact) we have a big meth problem here also. Been serveral rings busted in the last couple of years with people having labs out in the woods or in their barns on their farms.

We will probably be moving to Or in the next couple of months, more than likely Falls City and that crossed my mind while visiting that area. Look on the map and its pretty much the end of the road, literally!! lol Then again with it being the end of the road is what attracts me to that area also. If there is a meth problem out there I only hope my kids are smart enough to say no. Then again it really doesn't matter where you move too. The drug problem is everywhere. Just gotta hope you taught your kids enough on the dangers and that they themselves are smart enough or care enough to say no.

Just like the anti-smoking propoganda that the drive-bye liberal media is spewing out they are doing the same with the meth and drugs. Only with the drug deal they are doing what they should be. The more people know about it the more decent people can watch for whats going on and alert the authorities. The other edge of the sword on that though is some communities and states are getting a bad rap for some problem areas, when they shouldn't be.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:39 PM

180 posts, read 583,232 times
Its funny that the meth problem in Oregon is at its worst in the rural (conservative) parts of the state. This liberal has no problem calling the police when he sees someone dealing drugs by his elementary school!

Seriously it can be an issue- in Sweet Home my friends run a dairy, and they have to hide the iodine they use because tweekers keep stealing it. But on the other hand, if it wasnt meth it would just be something else. addiction has been around a long time.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:55 PM

61 posts, read 212,900 times
Isn't Oregon a "right to carry" state? I'd have no problem with protecting my property or family from people coming on it. Here in Wi. we aren't a right to carry state and I still don't have a problem protecting my property or my family.

*Disclaimer: the above post was made in "somewhat" of a humorous tone. Trying to lighten up the convo some I guess.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,791 times
Okay... thanks for the info. I just thought it was funny that everyone was so focused on "the meth problem" in Oregon when living in Southern California and the LA Metro you can imagine that's a huge problem but the least of our worries lol. If meth is one of the big problems of Oregon to be honest that's a huge relief. Steve thanks (again) for putting it in perspective. It's good to see that Oregon is smart enough to legislate things that would prevent the manufacturing of drugs and take real steps to actually end a real problem. In California............ not so much.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:18 PM

148 posts, read 238,953 times
You can get a concealed weapons permit here in Oregon, and you can also legally shoot someone if you feel that your life is jeopardy. Just make sure that you can prove it, like they have a gun....
Actually, the best thing to do is call the police and they will come and shoot them for you. Oregon cops love to shoot people!!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:46 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRS
Isn't Oregon a "right to carry" state? I'd have no problem with protecting my property or family from people coming on it. Here in Wi. we aren't a right to carry state and I still don't have a problem protecting my property or my family.
Yes. Oregon is a "right-to-carry" state, as many of our prison inmates can attest. Remember that the fact that you might perceive yourself to be in imminent danger doesn't necessarily satisfy the legal test for use of deadly force. The right to bear arms doesn't constitute a right to discharge them, and many 007-wannabes assume more risk than they bargained for, ending up on the wrong side of the prison bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsailor View Post
Oregon cops love to shoot people!!!!
That's a bit of inside gallows humor that probably went over the heads of people who aren't up on Portland headlines. The Rose City has had some unfortunate and questionable uses of deadly force in the news lately

Last edited by Steve97415; 12-04-2006 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon