U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM

4,387 posts, read 9,748,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
"Cults" can crop up anywhere.

There are two religious groups in the mid-Wmt Valley that some may not be aware of: Old Believers and Mennonites.

Old Believers have their roots in the Russian Orthodox Church and fled Russia (largely to China) to escape Stalin. Many have moved to South America.

The Mennonites are distinctive because of the caps women wear (there are other identifiers but that is the most obvious). They have been characterized as the modern Amish, they are from the same reformist movement.
Very interesting Nell, I have heard of the Mennonites, but never Old Believers.
The OPs question made me curious. Glad you had an answer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 AM

6,478 posts, read 5,679,402 times
By definition of Cult, most Churches are Cults. So... yeah there are a few out there.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 PM

13,324 posts, read 9,663,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
"Cults" can crop up anywhere.

There are two religious groups in the mid-Wmt Valley that some may not be aware of: Old Believers and Mennonites.

Old Believers have their roots in the Russian Orthodox Church and fled Russia (largely to China) to escape Stalin. Many have moved to South America.

The Mennonites are distinctive because of the caps women wear (there are other identifiers but that is the most obvious). They have been characterized as the modern Amish, they are from the same reformist movement.
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder but I would consider these more religious organizations than cults. When I think of cults, I think of Jim Jones and the Rashneeshies of the 70's and 80's.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 PM

10,763 posts, read 17,565,884 times
I hardly consider the Mennonites and Old Believer's cults. Yes they have a strong religious foundation and some of us might call them old fashioned/fundamentalist...whatever but I think the connotation of cult is too strong for these folks.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 PM

6,462 posts, read 7,019,717 times
I did not intend to imply that they these groups are cults but if you see their members on the street and don't know the groups a person could jump to the conclusion that they are a member of a cult.

Long time Oregon's know that the Wmt. Valley was home to several communities similar to the Shakers of New England for a time (also near Olympia in WA). One person's cult is an other's religious faith.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM

43 posts, read 77,831 times
I worked with a lot of Old Believers, the men have Rasputin like beards and the women wear long homemade dresses that look like little house on the prarie. But other than his appearence, the guy seemed pretty normal, he cussed like a truck driver, drank like a fish, gambled on the NFL, and watched all the R movies and slasher flicks out there on his HD TV he obsessed over. So despite the odd appearence they are not really like the Amish or FLDS. The parents are pretty strict with their kids though.

Most of these reports of "Cult" activity in small town are the wild fantasies of provincial "conspiracy theory" local cops who imagine all the High School kids with AC/DC T-shirts are devil worshipers sacraficing babies on Friday nights. i.e. the West Memphis Three in HBO's Paradise Lost. Some adult killed 3 little boys and the small town cops were such incompetent kooks they convicted 3 high school kids with zero evedence other than the fact they all listened to Metallica and wore black T-shirts so "must have been satanists."

Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Years ago I worked for USDoL, an Old Believer had a tree planting contract. One of his peers worked on the contract and they got into a dispute. My solution was to meet with Fr. Ambrose at Mt. Angel Abby to sort things out. He mediated, the worker was paid, case closed. I miss Fr. Ambrose. FYI, Alexander Solzhenitsyn stayed at the Abby from time to time. The everyone kept his commings and goings secret.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 09-03-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 03:07 PM

758 posts, read 1,307,651 times
Just don't visit us on Halloween!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 PM

The story dated me... this story dates from the late 70s, early 80s, when Solzhenitsyn was living in Vermont.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,779 times
Once, about 10 years ago a cow head was found in the fountain by the McMinnville library on Halloween. A story published in the News Register stated that they believed it was a cult was responsible from the Dayton area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon