U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2008, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 38,129 times
Smile gay friendly small town oregon

Hi everyone,

My partner and I live in Seattle and have had it with the elitist, snotty attitude here. We are looking to relocate to a smaller town. We would like to find a smaller, affordable, gay-friendly ( we aren't overtly gay, but not going to crawl back in the closet either.) small town that hasn't been completely over-run with socal retirees with too much money and not enough courtiousness. Will also be posting in Washington and Northern California forums as well. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 AM

36 posts, read 123,026 times
Since I haven't lived in most small towns in Oregon I can't speak for them all, but I am familiar with some of the small towns on the North Oregon Coast. My experience is that most people in these towns are going to accept you for what you are. If you are friendly and respectful of your neighbors, they will treat you the same.

Some North Coast towns are largely resort towns full of second homes for Portlanders. These towns tend to be a bit more cosmopolitan and open minded. In my small Coastal town of 600, an openly gay couple own one of the few hotels and a wine bar. They are very involved and respected in the community.

Another advantage of the North Coast is that you are surrounded by beautiful scenery and far removed from the daily rat race but within a couple of hours you can be in the heart of Portland, a very gay friendly city that just elected its first openly gay mayor, Sam Adams.

So my personal recommendations on the North Oregon Coast would be Gearhart, Cannon Beach, Arch Cape, Manzanita, Oceanside, and Neskowin.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:08 PM

14 posts, read 46,275 times
I would check out Ashland

Good luck

Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 PM

77 posts, read 184,799 times
I have some gay (men) friends that moved to Falls City-and they feel very accepted. I live near Sheridan and Willamina and we have a few gay (most are lesbians) people around here who seem to be pretty accepted.

If your not overly flamboyant, you should be fine. Most people who live rurally don't want you poking in their business, so they won't poke in yours. But they probably will talk behind your backs- gives people something to do, you might be the talk of the town!

Good luck to you!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:16 PM

714 posts, read 1,585,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickerind View Post
I would check out Ashland

Good luck
Ashland, Eugene, Corvallis and for California check out San Fran.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:31 AM

41 posts, read 137,615 times
Hey if you are open mined to being a part of the change that is going on in Centralia - - I would come check it out! I know... you are probably thinking, Centralia?!?! YES! We have a blooming gay community here that is active in the downtown revitalization, historic preservation, the art & cultural events, etc... Being 1/2 way between Portland and Seattle is a HUGE bonus and Centralia is really growing as a bedroomc ommunity to Olympia. Since you are scouting around, I would suggest that you at a stop into the historic downtown as a part of your trip and check out how kewl the old town is! I have shared a bit more about Centralia in some other posts. I have lived in LA and consider Centralia to be an up and coming BOOMTOWN - seriously. Plus, look at all that you can get for your money when it comes to home prices if you are thinking of buying. Best to the both of you & hope oyu find what you are looking for!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:00 PM

33 posts, read 190,322 times
If you go check out Centralia, I hope you take a long, hard look.

If I were looking for a gay friendly town, the last place I would look is in Lewis County.

Just sayin'.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM

8 posts, read 31,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRiverRat View Post
If you go check out Centralia, I hope you take a long, hard look.

If I were looking for a gay friendly town, the last place I would look is in Lewis County.

Just sayin'.

Ditto on that one. Very well put to say the least. I was born and raised in Washington (north of olympia). Centralia may have growth and has changed, but PLEASE don't go there for a gay friendly community. Try some of the neighborhoods in Portland or maybe even Bend area. If you are looking for another state I do know that Boulder, Co has a large gay community (my aunt lives there).

Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 AM

33,688 posts, read 10,446,285 times
I saw today that Portland Oregon just swore in its gay mayor......I think that is the largest American City with an openly gay mayor! "Step by step the longest march can be won..."

Old 01-03-2009, 04:16 AM

2 posts, read 12,782 times
What about Eugene? I live in Albany so I would NOT suggest here although if you are coupled already it is not bad but if you are looking to date it sucks lol. I have not had any problems with any of the residents here in Albany. Corvallis is a college town and so is Eugene and usually they are more accepting of gays. But you will find idiots wherever you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon