U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 PM

30 posts, read 110,136 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to the NW after we are done with school. We looked at the atlas and liked where Oakridge sits. What can you tell me about the town? Whats the weather like? General social climate? Culture available? Schools? (My husband is a teacher) Housing? Any natural food stores, csa's, ect? How often does it rain? Any thing you can offer would be great.

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 PM

16,047 posts, read 15,931,853 times
I'm not being facetious. What's a csa?

It's raining in Oakridge right now. But it gets a bit less rain than the valley. It's still a rain forest climate though.

If you like hiking, there are many good trails around. The culture here...is small town, but Eugene is close enough for a good music and art fix when you need it. It does have a small museum.

No natural food stores. But it's close enough to Eugene for that. Market of Choice is probably the best, though it isn't entirely organic.

I have the link for the schools on my other laptop; will post it later.

Housing is pretty reasonable.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 AM

5,581 posts, read 8,204,870 times
CSA stands for community supported agriculture.

If you go to localharvest.org you can find more info and search for ones near you there... as well as U-Pick farms and lots of other cool stuff!

I shouldn't say anything about oakridge as we've never lived there. We're in Eugene and have only ever driven through... but from what I understand it is an old mining town. It's small, quiet, wooded, and near lots of camping and outdoorsy adventure. Homes are affordable, yet each winter it seems they get slammed with either lots of snow or lots of flooding. The drive through on the way to Waldo though is beautiful! I have met people who lived in Oakridge and worked in Eugene. It seems like quite a commute to us, but they didn't seem to mind it.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:15 PM

16,047 posts, read 15,931,853 times
Here's the school link:

Oakridge School District #76

Thanks, haggardhouself...I'm familiar with the concept but didn't recognize the initials. There is a good community garden in Oakridge. But it's still a place where backyard vegetable/herb growing is the norm.

The road up to Waldo is especially nice right now. Lots of dogwoods and wildflowers blooming.

Not so much snow and flooding, really. Last winter was a bit abnormal. And it actually snowed yesterday at Willamette Pass.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Waldo drive! Sounds like a winner for a Sunday Father's Day drive... we've only been that way in middle and late Summer and Fall, so it will be nice to see it during a different time of year.

It's good to hear that the snow and flooding isn't that normal for the area. We've actually thought of buying out there but that has worried us. We've been in Oregon for four winters and every winter we've been here the area seemed to have been hit much harder than the Eugene area for sure. We're city slickers, though, not used to rural living, so maybe it just seemed awful to us city wimps!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,980 times
I have been in Oakridge for twenty years now and remember wondering similar things way back then. As for the weather we are normally better off than the valley where the fog seems to just lay at times. I can recall several times ice hit the valley floor and we had sunny weather. We are rural here so culture is definately small town, we do have a nice community of artists here however, contact Fluing Turtle Gallery or Zero Clearance theater for more info on that. We have just aqquired a organic food buying club, sorry don't know much about that, the folks at Trailhead Coffeehouse would know more. School District is decent and once in a whiile a job comes up. As for the social climate I personally have found some of the nicest people here lots of old timers from the timber days(not a mining town more mill town) to tell stories at the cafes and enough young people to keep us lively with new ideas. If you need more info just post here again I am adding this to my list as I have just found it and will be checking back .

Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 AM

Oakcandy I really appreciated your post. After reading this thread, and now your post, it is inspiring my husband and I to give Oakridge a second chance. We had sort of written it off because we really thought we wouldn't be able to handle the winters... but maybe we didn't look close enough. Are there rentals in the area? Perhaps we should rent a home for a year or so and then decide if it's where we want to build our nest... the way you describe it, it just sounds wonderful. Thank you!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,980 times
haggardhouseelf the rentals here are very affordable two I am reading the local paper for you and see mostly duplexes(two bdrm 510/mo, new 3 bdrm 1000/mo) but one of the realators could more than likely find something for you try Oakridge Real Estate or Diamond Peak. If concerned about the commute we have a bus that runs several times daily to the Eugene bus station. As for more on the weather Oakridge was in the World Guiness Book for sunshine 360 days a year, what they didn't tell was that it didn't shine all day but only a little while. Hope to see you here. You could call the local paper Dead Mountian Echo and get a paper to check out 782-4241.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,488 times
I lived in Oakridge many years ago and my husband and I are looking into moving back, we are now in Alberta, Canada, so we have to do some serious stuff to move there, I'm a US citizen but he is Canadian, Oakridge is small and low key, but if you enjoy the outdoors is a great place to be, and like others have said Eugene isnt far at all... Good luck to you and yours on your adventure

Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 AM

24 posts, read 74,409 times
Kim,

Don't let people who aren't quite sure about Oakridge scare you off. First of all, logging (not mining) used to be the main industry of the town, so these are hard-working, friendly, small-town America friends and neighbors.

The climate? There's a reason we say "above the fog line and below the snow line". I really can't think of a more ideal location. It's on the west side of the Cascades, so the the climate is much milder than the other side. Yet, we're high enough in elevation that we don't get nearly the fog and rain as say, Eugene.

Housing prices are still quite reasonable, even much cheaper than Eugene just down the highway. We have 3 new sub-divisions going in where you can get a beautiful, brand-new home for about 300K or less. We've been building homes here for years and we'd be happy to show you around.

Frankly, I'm not sure where else in the country you could live with the natural beauty, reasonable cost of living, short driving distances to camping, trails, waterfalls, ski resort, ocean, shopping, etc. The people that have moved here and had us build houses for them tell us they didn't think a place like this existed anymore. Well, I could go on, but you have to see it for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon