Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times

Advertisements

This was a year or two ago, but I wasn't a member of the forum yet so here goes from memory. We started looking at potential states to retire in. Where we live now is nice and all, but we are kinda looking for a little smaller, little cooler place. So north was a natural way to go. We are planning a second trip this summer for the north and central areas, but this trip was more south and west. We hit Medford, Grants Pass, Eugene, Corvallis, Florence, Bandon. This is more of the general impression of what we saw. First, it was like I have seen other posters say and that it is like stepping back 30 years. Again, this is not to say that it is 30 years backwards, I mean it felt like the America I grew up in. We already knew about the gas thing and had no problem letting someone else pump the gas. Walking in the streets we came upon many smiling faces and cordial greetings. One of the places we liked was Gold Hill, there was a sign there that said "Loud and unnecessary noises are prohibited". Cottage Grove was another neat spot. The ocean side seemed a little to far from amenities for us and we are more lake and mountain people anyhow. One thing that really stuck with me was watching how people behaved in a restaurant. Mostly well behaved children, people just having a good time. We were at a local brewery type place and I of course had a beer. During the meal I had another and when the bill came the waitress told me she just charged me for half a pitcher instead of separate beers to save me. Now I know she had a vested interest in a tip, but she did not know me from Adam and I had no clue about the prices. It just left me with a good feeling. You have a nice state and I promise you if we move here we won't be *&^%$ Californians messing everything up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:15 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Elousv: Let me tell you, we would be PROUD to have you as residents, neighbors and friends. Your family is the type we want here; I'm sure you would add to our state immeasurably. You're more than welcome to grace us with your residency.

I believe that most Californians who come here are much like you. The number of Californians who are rude jerks is probably about as low as the number of stupid Oregonians who hate Californians. Yet they get all the news copy.

Thanks for the post!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
The Californian thing is a bit of a running joke. There was a time when many Californians had an attitude that we were idiots, but that has passed. I think California's growth and proliferation of strip malls struck fear in the guts of many who didn't want our communities to look like that. We have both matured (or at least many of us have) so it isn't an issue.

I think you should give Eugene another look. True Cottage Grove isn't far, but it is still a drive to shopping centers, hospitals and performing arts facilities. Looking even further down the road, Eugene has at least one continuing care community.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
Thank you for sharing about your trip! Its great to hear about how positive it was and that you enjoyed Oregon. What your waitress did, stuff like that is not so unusual around here. (but it IS awesome, eh? ) We went out to eat awhile back, and when ordering, asked for a burger each for the kids. The waitress stops and says "You know, these are REALLY large burgers, why dont you save the $ and just get one to split?" then went on to not only split them, but gave each one a side order and told us, if either ate the whole part and was still hungry, the next one was on the house! So cool. (they were barely able to finish the 1/2 btw, she was SO right about the size! lol)
I was talking to a clerk at the store Monday, she moved here from Cali (cant for the life remember the city..) anyhow, she said one huge difference that stands out for her, is the friendly people and the fact that courteous seems to be the norm. Especially in younger people. She said she had to laugh, her 30something son recently visited, and was kinda freaked out about all the people that walked past and would smile and say HI. She said he thought at first they were "trying to start something" and it took a bit to realize, it was genuine friendliness. lol
I hope you do find your happy place soon! Please do let us know! And thank you again for sharing your experiences.
Tiffany

Old 06-12-2008, 10:07 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Hey Tiffany - we've had that experience, too, several times while eating out with our kids. It's hard to judge how large or small meals are going to be and we really appreciate when the waiter people are so thoughtful. I agree this kind of thing happens a lot here... and not just in Eugene, this happened to us several times on the coast at local places, too.

And I agree with Nell... we have been looking at homes in the Cottage Grove area but the sweet little city just doesn't have everything Eugene has to offer. There are little places around Eugene that might be of interest - perhaps Coburg or Veneta or Elmira? And Eugene is full of retired people and all the services which benefit them. It's a great place for that stage of life.

bob mulk - just wanted to let you know I'm giving you a rep point for such a wonderful positive post.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM

73 posts, read 319,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Thank you for sharing about your trip! Its great to hear about how positive it was and that you enjoyed Oregon. What your waitress did, stuff like that is not so unusual around here. (but it IS awesome, eh? ) We went out to eat awhile back, and when ordering, asked for a burger each for the kids. The waitress stops and says "You know, these are REALLY large burgers, why dont you save the $ and just get one to split?" then went on to not only split them, but gave each one a side order and told us, if either ate the whole part and was still hungry, the next one was on the house! So cool. (they were barely able to finish the 1/2 btw, she was SO right about the size! lol)
When I was in Sherwood, I ordered a huge burger, and the waitress tried to discourage me ("You skinny little thing? Are you sure you can eat that?"). I didn't listen and I ate the whole thing and it was DELICIOUS--but I still appreciated her trying to look out for me.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM

73 posts, read 319,056 times
One time I was backing up at a gas station and a guy who was in a truck not only waited patiently, but he stuck his hand out and guided me. I appreciated a little thing like that, because in NY they would've just bolted through (every man for himself!) and in NM, where people are more laid back, they just would've waited patiently, but this guy actually took the time to wave his hand and guide me so that I could back up easily. Good stuff.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:23 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,389 times
Yes, from personal experience, it seems like people in Oregon are more inclined to help others, well...as compared to Californians (I was one!) at least. I really appreciate it when someone stops and lets me out when I am waiting to turn into traffic...and they do all the time. I was just in California again recently and oh my gosh....they would speed up to NOT let someone in. My daughter spent last summer in SC and was impressed by the good old "southern manners" and friendliness she witnessed there also.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:42 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
If you go back two generations Scandinavians were the largest source of European immigration. Two generations even further back, the were from Missouri. Yes, there is still a trace of the southern manners remaining.

As in any collection of people, some are less considerate than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon