Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,551 times

Advertisements

Steve97415, I loved that poem because that is exactly what I get from every one's post.

I've lived in many places and when I speak to people who are new to a certain place they will always compare it to where they lived before. I know because I've been guilty of this in the past. I'm learning to set my prior living experiences aside and accept new experiences and not compare them to what was before but to be thankful to be gaining new experiences. Another thing I wanted to mention to every one is that state or city border lines do not define a persons personalty or behavior. I've heard people many times mention that a people in a certain town are rude or people in a certain town are slower than people in another town. I've lived in enough places to know that there are a variety of personalities in every town. They can be nice, rude, talk fast and talk slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,207 times
Well I was going to tell you about my perceptions about Oregon but after Cissy's post now I'm a little ashamed. But not enough to shut up

I...really don't like Portland. I like Oregon, it's the most beautiful place I've ever lived. But I'm planning to move soon to get away.

Portland is exactly like L.A.

Lots of obsession about looks. I was told by two separate people that "Portland is the secondest fittest city in the US" and dirty looks for daring to be 40 pounds overweight. Glandular cancer is not an excuse to be ugly.

I make more then I've ever made and can't afford to live anywhere but a crappy apartment, forget about buying a townhouse or condo.

Takes an hour to go three miles. NOT an exaggeration, expect the traffic equivalent of a downtown city in the Portland suburbs. Zero highways and a LOT of confusing lane changes and very narrow and dangerous roads.

Also I would highly highly recommend not driving a 4 cylinder engine. I've made many "O-Turns," which means you've driven past your turn because the traffic wouldn't let you in or the lane changed without warning and now you will be 20 minutes late. In my many O-turns I would not have been able to get up the hill I accidentally turned down without a 6 cylinder. Also recommend you get your brakes checked frequently.

The people who live here now will hate you for moving here. It's even happening to me. I see a moving truck from Minnesota and I think to myself "Oh god, someone else merging on highways".

The mom and pop shops rule here. While I agree in principle, it's not competitive with the rest of the US. Not just the lacking Wal-Marts (sore subject with Oregonians). I live within 10 miles of 7 stores devoted to only selling chairs. The local Wal-Mart that isn't a walmart can be overpriced and you're considered trash for shopping elsewhere.

The arts and outdoorsy stuff is all a lot of fun and more frequent then anywhere else. But expect it to all shut down in the winter. Unless you want to drive to Bend or walk in the rain, not much to do here in the winter.

The summers here are worth the winters. Don't move here in the winter, you'll just get depressed.

I realize this is all negative, and coming from a non-Oregonian. Yes, I moved here intentionally due to a job transfer. I could have found another job. I could have moved to Boston (the other choice). I could have done something different. When my lease is up I'm either going to Corvallis or another state.

But to those moving to Portland please read this. It isn't the great little laidback city it was 20 years ago. It's LA Junior and projected to get bigger and bigger and bigger.

The beauty is like LA's weather. You pay for it.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM

20 posts, read 89,197 times
I am thinking of moving to Bend and wonder if it is a gay friendly type of town? Also, how much snow falls here in the winter. I love the look of the city and I need some sunny days since I am in So Cal but I hate 100+ heat for weeks at a time. Any info will be appreciated both pro and con.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 PM

20 posts, read 89,197 times
Default Bend, Oregon

I have not heard a lot about Bend and would appreciate any info. What is the atmospire regarding housing prices, gay friendliness, job availability, crime rate, amount of snow per year, etc. Can anyone help? Thinking of moving there in one year at the longest and since I have to retire (job leaving the state) I am most anxious to hear your views. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon