Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hawaiian family considering moving to Seattle, Fort Collins, Denver, Medford, Albany, seeking information on living in Southern Oregon, high cost of living in Hawaii

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 12,967 times

Advertisements

I can only say this to the above statements. Negative comment are found in every area, there is no perfect place there is only the perfect attitude when one makes a change, and through change comes personal growth. If FEAR is an issue none of us would ever change anything, and if we all want change to happen we have to look to the leaders we have put in office and hound them until the change we want comes about.

Life is too short to fear the unknown, and if one takes life as the journey it is destined to be then any type of change is good for any one individual

Our most precious commodity while we are here is our time and energy and how we use them determines how far we will evolve in this lifetime.

Blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Maybe Portland homeowners do not 'actualize' the 20% decrease but that does not mean that the various sources that evaluate real estate have not lowered their appraisal values. Our home was available as a rental because the buyers/owners don't want to sell it for what it is currently worth, about 20% less than they paid for it last year. After a year of paying two mortgages they decided to rent the one we now live in. All over Portland properties that would have been 'for sale' are now instead 'for rent' so the owners don't have to face reality... yet.

H

Old 07-03-2008, 01:05 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
Meth is a serious problem all over Oregon. Google the Department of Justice website or the Oregonian for the facts. Wages are low compared to the cost of living. And construction jobs are already being impacted by the housing and credit downturn. Again, google the Oregonian or the State of Oregon's official state economist web page. Right now even "secure" union jobs with the county are in danger, due to the recent loss of timber payments. My county is looking at a 10% across the board cut, with last arrivals being cut first. Some of our biggest builders are being foreclosed on. Google "legend homes" for one example. Our local , building suppliers, window and door makers, cabinetmakers, truckers, etc. are all being impacted by the downturn.

As for you getting a job, even with a large family you might find you have to do so, if your husband's satellite job does not pan out.

Look, Oregon is great, and I'm not trying to keep anyone from moving here, but the reality is that jobs are scarce, they are probably going to get scarcer, and if you come here without a second income or a 6 month emergency fund at the very least, you could find yourself in trouble. I'm not painting a rosy picture, because there isn't any. Business conditions are currently pretty grim.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticgold View Post
I can only say this to the above statements. Negative comment are found in every area, there is no perfect place there is only the perfect attitude when one makes a change, and through change comes personal growth. If FEAR is an issue none of us would ever change anything, and if we all want change to happen we have to look to the leaders we have put in office and hound them until the change we want comes about.

Life is too short to fear the unknown, and if one takes life as the journey it is destined to be then any type of change is good for any one individual

Our most precious commodity while we are here is our time and energy and how we use them determines how far we will evolve in this lifetime.

Blessings
This is fine for one or two people who can take a risk moving to a place without savings or work. But add 7 kids into the equation and the situation changes. People cannot afford to be so cavalier about choices when they have such a huge responsibility.
No one is being negative for negativity's sake; they are just telling it like it is. Any thoughtful person who is a potential transplant should want know what they could be getting into.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:09 AM

62 posts, read 281,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This is fine for one or two people who can take a risk moving to a place without savings or work. But add 7 kids into the equation and the situation changes. People cannot afford to be so cavalier about choices when they have such a huge responsibility.
No one is being negative for negativity's sake; they are just telling it like it is. Any thoughtful person who is a potential transplant should want know what they could be getting into.

thanks I agree.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:43 AM

13 posts, read 31,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Meth is a serious problem all over Oregon. Google the Department of Justice website or the Oregonian for the facts. Wages are low compared to the cost of living. And construction jobs are already being impacted by the housing and credit downturn. Again, google the Oregonian or the State of Oregon's official state economist web page. Right now even "secure" union jobs with the county are in danger, due to the recent loss of timber payments. My county is looking at a 10% across the board cut, with last arrivals being cut first. Some of our biggest builders are being foreclosed on. Google "legend homes" for one example. Our local , building suppliers, window and door makers, cabinetmakers, truckers, etc. are all being impacted by the downturn.

As for you getting a job, even with a large family you might find you have to do so, if your husband's satellite job does not pan out.

Look, Oregon is great, and I'm not trying to keep anyone from moving here, but the reality is that jobs are scarce, they are probably going to get scarcer, and if you come here without a second income or a 6 month emergency fund at the very least, you could find yourself in trouble. I'm not painting a rosy picture, because there isn't any. Business conditions are currently pretty grim.
I grew up in the area during the late 70's-80s. Jobs have always been scarce and low paying. If you are moving to So. Oregon for "the jobs" then you really have no idea what your going to step into. Sure during the late 90s and through 2005 during the housing boom, things were ok, but even then a good job in this area is dreaded in most areas of the country. However, it is a great way of life and great place to raise a family, just don't plan on having an abundance of money to do it with.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Right now I think people should hunker down where they are, particularly if they have a network of friends/family. If the economy really gets tough these people will see that you sleep in a dry place (even if it is the garage) and eat regularly. Friends will vouch for you for a job and are a source of employment leads.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM

62 posts, read 281,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Right now I think people should hunker down where they are, particularly if they have a network of friends/family. If the economy really gets tough these people will see that you sleep in a dry place (even if it is the garage) and eat regularly. Friends will vouch for you for a job and are a source of employment leads.
Well we have lot's of family on the mainland. And the type of family at that that would help us in a crises. We wanted to leave a decade ago but stayed b/c of family pressure. The thing is is that we barely see that family save holidays. So we would be better of familywise on the mainland I think.

Plus I think almost anywhere we move will be cheaper than Maui. Putting us in a better position economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon