Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by appreski View Post
I'd like to thank all of you who responded. I'm heading to Brookings to find a home. You've convienced me.
I was just curious. Have you checked out the health care in the area? That is the main item I always look into when researching a retirement area? Especially if you have a chronic condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Fog or no fog, I would love to hear from parents who are raising kids in Brookings. It seems like an ideal childhood experience .Would love to know what thats like with schools, activities,teachers etc. It seems no one in Brookings has kids.
I was raised here...I've lived here 29 years and have a 13 year old and a 10 year old. Some "old" information never seems to be forgotten

Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Can you elaborate a bit Queen?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:02 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Brookings isn't called the Oregon coast "banana belt" for no reason. It can and does get very warm in Brookings during the summer. The fog, when it does come in, doesn't stay very long in the summer months, the winter is a different story.
Can you grow bananas there? I remember a banana farm down south of Santa Barbara that had quite few varieties for sale. The last time I drove by I believe it became avocados.
Can you have natural grown avocados on the coast of Oregon?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenlawson View Post
I was raised here...I've lived here 29 years and have a 13 year old and a 10 year old. Some "old" information never seems to be forgotten
Well that was certainly helpful (?)

Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Well that was certainly helpful (?)
I agree LOL

Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 26,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaliswriter View Post
Nanannie, I am really puzzled by Brookings weather features! We live in the burbs of Portland, Oregon. We are here because our kids are here, but we met and married in Tucson, AZ and have lived in sunbelt states with husband's work for over 30 years. He is still employed and I am essentially retired. We are trying to find a place where it is less wet, is warmer, is less populated and would be family friendly (for when our children and grandkids come to visit). We have heard that Brookings gets a ton of rain. We've also heard that Portland doesn't get that much rain! OK. in my book, Portland is very rainy - most of the time. There are years when it is less rainy - but believe me, there is always enough of the wet stuff falling from the sky - more than I like. When I look at the graphs provided on City Data Forum, I see alot of sunshine for Brookings, albeit Nov., Dec. and Jan. have below national average for sunny days. How can Brookings have so much sunshine AND so much rain AND so much fog!!?? It is perplexing to me. Are there patches of Brookings residential areas that have less fog? We need to make a visit there, but it likely won't be before next summer. If anyone could be more specific about Brookings climate features, I would be so grateful!!
You are exactly right, micro climates in Brookings, I live six miles north of Brookings on Cape Ferrelo, because elevation is a bit higher we don't get the fog that happens in town, fog or no fog Brookings is heaven on earth!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P Colltrane View Post
You are exactly right, micro climates in Brookings, I live six miles north of Brookings on Cape Ferrelo, because elevation is a bit higher we don't get the fog that happens in town, fog or no fog Brookings is heaven on earth!
John P, Do you have any information,gossip,heresay, facts, -anything about the schools in the Brookings area? Would love to find some inside info. I agree with you, love the area. Been up and down the coast for years and we have nixed a few towns (Coos,N Bend,Waldport) and though we loved Manzanita, Yachats,Newport, we want to stay somewhat near the "banana belt". Brookings always comes out on top for us year after year. I read you live 'high up' above the fog, thats our goal too.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM

46 posts, read 214,155 times
Default Is there always fog in Brookings?

After living in Brookings for one year, we opted out because of the rain (80 inches in 3 months that year.) We also got tired of driving quite aways to get to Medford for decent restaurants, shopping and just getting away from small town Brookings. If you are considering retiring there, you might want to reconsider. We heard stories of people buying wonderful homes close to ocean but after 3 years, just wanting out of fog, dreariness and rain plus not much to do other than go to piers. We just retired in Bend, OR and it is wonderful place for seniors. Weather has it's moments but mostly sun which we depend upon since I was raised in SW. People are really friendly vs friendly only if you are shopping in their store. Amenities galore, great restaurants and any store you could possibly want. Town is easy to drive around, surrounded by gorgeous scenery (in and out of town) plus real estate boom busted so prices are great right now for new or nearly new houses. Medical care is fantastic with many top docs locating here. What more could you want unless you can't take a wee bit of winter. Having lived in WY, winter weather here is a joke! Come by for a look and you will stay.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,104 times
Default About the fog...

I have lived here since I was 11 (minus an 8 month period). So I have lived here for 25 years. During the summer when you see Medford (the valley) temps go up into the 90's or thereabouts then you will see Brookings get the fog you have heard about. However, when town is fogged in you can go 2 miles up any of the local rivers and....no fog!!! In fact, it is usually 10 degrees warmer in the summer up here and temperatures can be real hot...which is why the river is so inviting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon