U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,685 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Cottage Grove because I think it would be the perfect place to raise my now 2 1/2 year old daughter. Right now we live in Phoenix, Arizona and I HATE it it here and think it's a terrible place to raise a child. My problem is I am still in school and don't know if I should finish in Phoenix, or just move now and finish in OR. I am going to be a nurse, but haven't started the actual nursing program yet. My options are:

1. Move now, and enroll in a nursing program in OR. I don't know what any of the nursing programs are like out there, plus I would have a hard time with child care because I don't have any family out there. I would also have to pay out-of-state tuition.

2. Finish nursing program here in Phoenix, and try to get a job in OR as a new grad. I don't know if I would be able to find a job as a new grad without any experience there, plus this wouldn't be probably for another 2 years. I know Cottage Grove is gaining popularity, and I would like to move there while housing is somewhat affordable. I'm scared if I wait that long that I won't be able to afford a house there.

3. Finish nursing program in Phoenix and work a year or so to gain some experience to increase my chance of getting a job in OR. Again, waiting so long to move worries me because of housing prices.

What do you think the best option is? Also, is there a demand for nurses in Cottage Grove? I know there is a hospital there, but it seems like a small hospital and I don't know how often they need new nurses.

Are there any areas in Cottage Grove that I would want to avoid being that I have a kid? I have been looking at homes for sale, and they range from 790,000 to 117,000 and I'm just wondering what the area is like for the really cheap ones. Is it possible to live in a nice area for under 200,000? I just want to be able to walk outside with my daughter and dog and feel safe, which I definitely don't in Phoenix!

Thank you in advance for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM

414 posts, read 1,128,596 times
Cambria's mom, you sure have a lot of things to think about. I'd start online. See what the requirements are to be a nurse in OR and if you can get certified for that outside of the state.

How did you decide on Cottage Grove? Have you ever been there? It's on the I-5 and we've driven past it a few times. It seems pretty small. If you have a child under age 3, you'll want to be in a good school district. Cottage Grove may be good; I don't know. Smaller towns tend to have fewer resources.

Good luck with your research and keep us posted.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
Cambria's mom, you sure have a lot of things to think about. I'd start online. See what the requirements are to be a nurse in OR and if you can get certified for that outside of the state.

How did you decide on Cottage Grove? Have you ever been there? It's on the I-5 and we've driven past it a few times. It seems pretty small. If you have a child under age 3, you'll want to be in a good school district. Cottage Grove may be good; I don't know. Smaller towns tend to have fewer resources.

Good luck with your research and keep us posted.
I am not 100% sure on Cottage Grove, as I have never been there. I have been spending a long time looking through the threads on this website, and from what I've heard, it seems to be a pretty nice place. I like the idea of living in a small town, but it's not the most important thing. I'm more concerned about safety. I want to be ok with letting my daughter go out riding her bike (when the time comes) by herself or with friends and not worrying the whole time whether she's going to be kidnapped or raped. I have been looking at the elementary schools, and going off of test scores, they seem to be at or above the OR average. I know that test scores are not everything though when it comes to picking a good school. I was also looking at Eugene, but it seems like it's just a bunch of college kids living there. I guess that sounds weird coming from me, being that I am in college, but I don't really associate myself with them. Could you recommend any areas in OR that would be a good place to raise a family? I would prefer to stay on the western side of OR because I like rain... I've had enough sunshine to last me the rest of my life living in Phoenix!

Thank you for your reply!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 PM

414 posts, read 1,128,596 times
CamsMom, if you can afford it then check out Ashland. It's not cheap but that's for a reason. East Medford is pretty nice also. Cottage Grove is a pretty small town and I think you'd be better off in a bigger Oregon town. I love Oregon but wouldn't advise anyone with a child of school-age to live in a tiny town.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:43 AM

17 posts, read 36,283 times
not sure if your still looking or not but I would recommend Cottage Grove. Its actually not as small as it seems either. The city population is about 10,000 and the outlying communites of Saginaw,Walker,Dorena,Disston and Culp Creek push the population to about 15,000 in the CG area. Theres great schools and a new hospital just opened in Springfield(20 minutes away).Overall its a great safe town to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon