Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM

19 posts, read 61,319 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I was enchanted with Jacksonville when I visited there last month and am seriously considering moving there. And, guess what, I AM NOT from California, but from stinky, crime-ridden Albuquerque. I work in an art gallery and am a freelance writer (advertising creative director burnout), so I'm hoping I can find similar work in the Rogue Valley area. Any thoughts from people who live in Jacksonville or nearby? I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM

53 posts, read 307,426 times
Jacksonville is for real. The job sitch you're looking for, not so much. Oregon isn't terribly kind to artsy types outside of major metropolian areas, I'm afraid, at least afa finding employment which will allow you to meet the high COL. I'm not saying it isn't possible, and I'm not trying to dash any hopes, but all the artists and writers I have known in S. OR personally have had alternate means of income as well as their labor of love, or they lived in houseshares, or didn't make ends meet. Jacksonville is a beautiful town, very historic and quaint shops, etc, but to live there one must almost certainly have a reliably strong source of cash. It's also a tight community to break in to, since it is such a small town and they see SO many tourists and dreamers passing through. There's a sense amongst the locals that "outsiders" ought not to stay, because too much (or any, lol) growth would change the town into something else other than the quaint, village-type small community that it is. It may take some time before you'd feel like you belonged. It's a difficult place to get into, but if you can find regular work before you relocate and make sure it's enough to support your intended lifestyle, you should make an easier transition.

Keep in mind that the streets essentially roll up at 6 PM, except on those nights when Britt has a show. Those nights, the street rolls up as soon as the show lets out, so around 10 or 11. Not much to do. If that appeals to you, take a longer trip and do some intense reaserch. It's easy to fall in love with S. OR, but it's also easy to feel trapped there after the honemoon phase wears off.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:00 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,080 times
Look for a house in Ashland.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Thanks guys. I'm a little hard to discourage since my experience in Albq. has been so unpleasant -- held up at knifepoint outside my new "nice neighborhood" home. As far as Ashland goes, I heard from creative people there that Jacksonsville -- or Center Point (sic) were more affordable, and that Ashland was out of sight.

I do have some hard earned 401K investments to lean on, especially if interest rates go up again, so IS THERE somewhere in Ashland or even Medford (which I found kind of dreary and Albuquerque-like) that is both SAFE and affordable?

Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM

279 posts, read 1,085,740 times
I remember there being some really cute homes and nice neighborhoods in southwest Medford. I am friends w/ a realtor in the area if you would like her name - she is young (28, I believe, which may be of interest to you if my assumption is correct, that the 79 in your username is your year of birth), and she lives in one of the neighborhoods I am thinking of and has a very nice house. She is very sweet and does not pressure at all.

the rest of Medford ... I agree. Economically depressed and full of box stores, which is really unfortunate b/c the climate is spectacular. But there are some orchards nearby in SW Medford and it's pretty. Ashland, IMO, is overrated and probably still overpriced (and folks there really were not what I'd call warm). I also did not notice a lot of young adults in Ashland, either, though there are college students during the semesters. Jacksonville is very cute, but very expensive ... and honestly, you might really feel isolated out there.

As for food, there is very good pizza in Medford - Jackson Creek. And great salads at Kaleidoscope also in Medford. Oh, and the best Chinese we've ever had at Yummy Yan's!

Sorry about your terrifying experience in Albuquerque. Hope you find a much safer place to eventually call home. I would definitely make a visit first, though, before moving. And be sure you have a job first b/c jobs are not easy to come by. Good luck to you.

P.S. I never got up there, but my husband would bike around Central Point and said there were some nice neighborhoods up there.

Last edited by Nina-in-Ashland; 07-28-2008 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: more info. added

Old 07-29-2008, 03:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,212 times
Jacksonville, Florida is a laid back place, and 5-points is a great area for you to look into, esp. with you being into Art. There are many places you can find work, JIA has an art gallery in the Airport where they manage pieces donated to them. UNF has one, but pretty much anything down, there are several art musems. Tell you what, if you are reading this use [URL="http://www.fastjax.net"]www.fastjax.net[/URL]. It is the search engine for the city. It should help you out tremendously. It is a growing search within the city. Check it out and good luck; Jacksonville, Florida is peaceful.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
This is the OREGON forum not Florida..

Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks, Nina, for your good tips. BTW, the "79" refers to a really great year I had, not my birthdate! I'm on the younger side of boomerville. Still, I'd like to have the name of the realtor in Medford that you mentioned. Perhaps she'll also have some info on rentals before I buy. I'm not eager to jump into the RE market until I unload my Albq. house. And, yes, I have visited southeast Oregon, but, you're right, I need to go back and really get a better grounding. So any other good insights would be much appreciated. You already homed in on my favorite food groups!

Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 PM

279 posts, read 1,085,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigourney79 View Post
Thanks, Nina, for your good tips. BTW, the "79" refers to a really great year I had, not my birthdate! I'm on the younger side of boomerville. Still, I'd like to have the name of the realtor in Medford that you mentioned. Perhaps she'll also have some info on rentals before I buy. I'm not eager to jump into the RE market until I unload my Albq. house. And, yes, I have visited southeast Oregon, but, you're right, I need to go back and really get a better grounding. So any other good insights would be much appreciated. You already homed in on my favorite food groups!
I sent you a DM. Yeah, don't miss Yummy Yan's - I know it's a crazy name, but the food is soooo good!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 AM

47 posts, read 160,685 times
Medford, Ashland , and the other towns around Jackson county are pretty safe. The worst parts of the towns have more property crimes than the nicest areas , but violent crime is real low .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon