Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 PM

30 posts, read 124,691 times

Advertisements

ok, I'm a 19 year old white female and totally lost in life right now. i want so badly to be in a different atmosphere, but unfortunately am broke off my bum, have no idea what i want to do for college, and haven't experienced much but good old poverty stricken South Dakotan life style, i'm so sick of it. i want art and culture, i love animals so a place that doesn't shoot everything that moves would be peachy. i stumbled across Corvallis OR when i was blindly looking for a college. the college there looks gorgeous by the pictures, and the description of the city sounds like heaven on wikipedia, but such things as pictures and a brief summary can be horribly misleading.

can someone give me a personal opinion of the place?

here's some information of what i have in Rapid City, SD, that i want to avoid going right back into.

- people: the people here are ignorant, stuck in their ways, retirees. so set on the labels of politics, conservative and conniving whose favorite pastime is hunting. we have very little to do with art and what we do have is rather mediocre, over priced, or other wise hidden. as far as animal welfare goes, an impoverished state doesn't house sanctuaries well.

- things to do: would be nothing, ask any younger person and they'll tell you one of these options; camping, movies, hanging out with friends, or sitting at a bar, and not a very interesting bar like you see in movies. no these are very depressing backwater bars with the sad country music....not a hopping place. and for someone who is always broke, there is NOTHING to do.maybe i'm not looking hard enough, who knows, but everyone is either bored out of their minds or committing a felony.

-wilderness: i love parks, forests, lakes, camping, hiking, bike riding. different sceneries are very nice and bring you out of the daily monotony. but i am so sick of Ponderosa Pines! they never change! i would kill for a deciduous forest! and the lack of moister here makes things very baron... i can't stand going for so long without seeing a thunderstorm

-economy: is dead, it revolves around tourism for rally week and the random tourist traps around the black hills, like Rushmore Mountain. there is nothing for my age with my experience to do other than cashier of sorts or maintenance.

i've lived in a small, conservative, gas-guzzling, no class city for way too long, i need out, and i need college. if anyone relates to this and has any advice about anywhere that's worth checking out, i will love you forever. thank you and sorry for the giant post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
i love animals so a place that doesn't shoot everything that moves would be peachy. i stumbled across Corvallis OR when i was blindly looking for a college. the college there looks gorgeous by the pictures,
It's my understanding that OSU has a good veterinarian program. With your love of animals that could be a good option for you.

I've never lived in Corvallis but did attend the college (commuted from Salem). It seems like a pretty great place.

It sounds like you really need a change, as young people often do...you don't have anything to lose by applying for financial aid to go to school there.

When I was your age and feeling the way you do now, I made a point to do one thing every day that would get me closer to where I wanted to be. You might try something like that; it doesn't get overwhelming that way.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 PM

thank you, i'm afraid i have to fix what i destroyed in high school before OSU will even look at my applications, i'm not sure how though, i'm told colleges wont look at your GPA in high school after you accel in college, i guess getting your gen eds out of the way in a smaller college? we don't have community colleges here so that's a real kick in the butt. since you lived/live in Salem what is that city like? i'm very general in my search for a place to go right now, i don't know if i want to go to Oregon or god knows where else. but i'm afraid i'll just find myself in the same problems just farther out of the way of help. i really have no idea what i want to do with my life or where i'll be happy

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Salem's okay, but you might want to consider Eugene. Think about attending a community college; there is one near Corvallis, one in Eugene, and one in Salem. It makes sense to get your general stuff out of the way first. A lot of community colleges as well as universities will allow you to take the basic classes online, too.

You're 19, unencumbered, and there is so much you could do. This could possibly be of interest to you; you could work at a ski lodge in CO or something for the winter, save some money, and have some options:

CoolWorks.com - Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places

Seasonal jobs aren't such a commitment that you're stuck with them if you don't like them, and they can be a good way to save money. Most of the places provide living quarters etc.

Just don't let your rut get you down.

Quote:
i really have no idea what i want to do with my life or where i'll be happy
This is not at all unusual for your age. It's exactly how it's supposed to be, really. This is the time for finding those things out.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,413 times
OSU is strong in engineering, forestry and agricultural science. It was formerly known as the Oregon Agricultural College...

Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 AM

177 posts, read 969,580 times
Quote:
Think about attending a community college; there is one near Corvallis, one in Eugene, and one in Salem. It makes sense to get your general stuff out of the way first. A lot of community colleges as well as universities will allow you to take the basic classes online, too.
Most Oregon community colleges offer two year transfer degrees. If you know you want to go to OSU (Corvallis)for example,you can take all the required general education classes, get your transfer degree at the community college and transfer into OSU as a junior. Plus, community colleges here are a lot less expensive and crowded than the state schools.

I did not attend OSU but I have been there a few times for seminars/trainings. It's a beautiful campus.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:02 PM

42 posts, read 191,899 times
Sounds like you need to make a change! Oregon is very beautiful with a mild climate. Summers are lovely, although winters can get wet, and a little gray. Oregon is all about enjoying the outdoors, and appreciating nature! You are 19, you have nothing to lose. How about a road trip west, and see for yourself. Good luck, and enjoy!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:55 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
What is important now is to get a college education. Even though you want to get out of South Dakota, you should go to one of your home state universities, such as these:
SDSU:South Dakota State University - You Can Go Anywhere From Here
Welcome to The University of South Dakota

Why?:

You will find that life on a university campus, even in your home state, is completely different from the civilian life you are used to. You will probably find the "different atmosphere" you are looking for.

You will get an excellent undergraduate education. These are fine universities.

A home state university is more likely to accept a student with less than ideal high school grades.

You say you are broke. In-state tuition is always much, much cheaper than out-of-state and it is usually easier to get financial aid. If you think you are miserable now, wait until you have tens of thousands of dollars of student loans taken out for out-of-state tuition and expenses to pay off.

It will be easier to get home for the holidays.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 PM

thank you for the replies!
Quote:
Think about attending a community college;
i have thought about community college and i wish we had even one in south dakota. the idea of out of state community college scares me though. that would mean i would have to pay a higher tuition and live on my own without the help of dorms for when i'm adjusting to college life and a new state. i'm failing at living on my own without the help of college to distract me....
Quote:
OSU is strong in engineering, forestry and agricultural science
i sort of guessed as much, i got excited when i saw they had art programs and fields that dealt with animals, but i don't know how extensive those fields are at OSU. i haven't really got my heart set on anything yet, i'm just trying to get information on possibilities. on a side note, i'm not too enthusiastic about being a vet, i don't really know anything about what fields work with animals and how and i'm always told "oh you'll figure it out once you get into college" i'm getting really sick of that answer. walking blindly into a giant investment without a clue of what you want or how to obtain it seems like a great way to waste money i don't have.... other wise my best idea as to what i might like is something along the lines of conservationist.... if i could join that with art i'd be one happy duck
Quote:
you should go to one of your home state universities
i've basically come to the realization that that is about the only option i have right now. which still makes this hard since we don't have any community colleges. honestly what college is going to look at a 1.8 GPA? and i haven't even dipped my fingers into taking the ACTs yet, or looked at any grants, scholarships, or loans... basically i never got any help on this in high school and now it's all hitting me in the face and i still don't know where to look for help. i'm a really easily over whelmed person when it comes to college and this is enough to make me continue hiding in my little hole of a world for another few years and i paw around with little whims and ideas of college and a new life....

Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This could possibly be of interest to you; you could work at a ski lodge in CO or something for the winter, save some money, and have some options:

CoolWorks.com - Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places
i took a look at the site and i love the idea honestly, especially for conservation or traveling like the cruises or the Outward Bound Instructors. but i don't think i have enough experience to be accepted to these sorts of jobs. but i can't tell you how much i would love moving somewhere with room and board that could train me in something so unique. my dad is and international driver so it'd be easy enough to drop me off and pick me up when the seasons over. but i don't know how that'd work, if you have any more information on this i would love to hear it because this just teased my fantasies. thank you!

on another little side note i want to travel more than anything in this world. it seems like such a little kids dream though, but when i hear about conservationists that travel the world for a living, god my heart just aches with how much i wish that was me and how much i wish i knew how to get to that point, i'd do anything, but i don't know what path to start out on

Last edited by mmblarg; 08-06-2008 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon