Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 35,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jank View Post

One last question...does it really get over 100 degrees in the summer? The records and averages I've looked at don't indicate that...
[

Very rarely.... If you want 100+ summer weather, you need to look at Medford area. We [KF] are usually 8*-15* under the temp in Medford. Also, at night the temp drops into the low 50's, high 40's. We have lived here for 23 years and have never had any sort of a/c...

"If You Change The Way You Look At Things,
The Things You Look At Will Change!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 35,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Marple View Post
(not sure about the private well water situation in Keno...input?)
Well water can vary widely within 1/4 mile. We have lived at our little place for 23 years and until two years ago had the best well water you could ever ask for from a 22 foot deep well. Our well started to pump dry in the summer when we were using sprinklers all day [and sometimes all night] so we had another drilled to 100 feet [$2500] and it puts out 25-30 gals/min and is also very good. But, just down the road to the west of us, about 2 miles, they have to have all sorts of filters due to iron and sulfur.

Hopes this helps.

BTW, we don't live anywhere near Keno.. about 15 miles west of us

Old 08-30-2007, 05:11 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
It's actually been nice this Summer. Didn't get too hot. Medford I think had 2 days over 100 degree weather. Klamath Falls has been mostly in the low to mid 80's. Today was nice as we got alot of rain.

Rain and snow (especially) makes Klamath Falls look better.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisingerj View Post
Well water can vary widely within 1/4 mile. We have lived at our little place for 23 years and until two years ago had the best well water you could ever ask for from a 22 foot deep well. Our well started to pump dry in the summer when we were using sprinklers all day [and sometimes all night] so we had another drilled to 100 feet [$2500] and it puts out 25-30 gals/min and is also very good. But, just down the road to the west of us, about 2 miles, they have to have all sorts of filters due to iron and sulfur.

Hopes this helps.

BTW, we don't live anywhere near Keno.. about 15 miles west of us
The base geology is mixed volcanics (rock, sediments, ash) and lake bed deposits, which means that the subsurface changes a lot and wells are different. We're off on the north end of the basin (Agency Lake) and our well is about 300' total (although the water draw is at about 200'). The well that just went in below us is nearly 500', and the one above is is about 150'. Very different water quality and taste, too -- so you never know.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:33 AM

7 posts, read 28,351 times
Default Racial tolerance in Klamath Falls area?

Hi all,

My wife & I are considering a retirement move to KF from SoCal (surprise). We are a mixed race couple, white/black. I never even think about it around here or in most places we've visited. On the other hand, we both thought we had grown mutant second heads from the stares we received in Memphis. Obviously, some areas may be less receptive than others to either one or both of us.

Any thoughts on the Klamath Falls area?

Oh, and how does Medford compare?

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,367 times
I don't believe you would turn any heads in Klamath Falls being an interracial couple. Many people believe that since Klamath is small and tends to be pretty conservative it is intolerant, which I have found to be completely false. Klamath is one of those places that as long as you don't mess with them they probably won't mess with you. I am a native of Klamath Falls now living in Phoenix, AZ going to medical school and I find there to be more of a problem with racism here in the city then I have in Klamath. Unlike what many people will say I think Klamath is a great place and plan on moving back once I am a doctor to raise my family. Klamath may not be for some, but if your looking for a slower life style than So Cal then Klamath will be a good fit. If you need a nearby mall or an abundance of shopping than Medford might be a better fit. This summer when I was in Klamath it looked like they are adding new restaurants and shopping, so that is improving. On the racial component I don't know much about Medford, but I believe you would be fine in either place. It is the year 2007 and I would hope people would not be so ignorant to even think twice about an interracial couple. Good luck with your search.

P.S. I don't blame those of you trying to get out of so cal, every time I drive through LA it's so smoggy I can't tell if there are mountains around or not and it's way over priced.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 PM

15 posts, read 56,053 times
Klamath Falls isnt very cool. It is pretty ugly. Try Bend, Paisley, Summer Lake, or Eugene

Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Numi^ View Post
Klamath Falls isnt very cool. It is pretty ugly. Try Bend, Paisley, Summer Lake, or Eugene
That, of course, depends entirely on what you'd call cool. It's certainly not trendy or overpriced, like much of the "new economy" in Bend.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 133,912 times
ONLY from my point of view (as a traveler through Klamath) you can have it! I don't mean to offend but we went through there about sun down in August and my RED pickup and white camper turned GREEN!!!!!!!!!!! Several inches deep in dead green slimmy bugs. Those damned little bugs that they introduced to eat mosquito larve covered the highway like a sea of green. That was two years ago and I'm still finding dead bugs in parts of that truck. I guess it's a nice place just go hide during that time of the day/year.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Default KFalls

is a "pretty" town by my standards, having come to Oregon after living in So. Cal for most of my life. It has sufficient amenites. However if you google enough, you'll find myspace/message board posts of teen boredom & gang activity. I live in Eugene now & there's evidence of CA migration of gangs here! So the high desert is a very boring place for most teens, I 'spose...

The area there is essentially in the Klamath Province & Mazama Province (Mazama = original name of the Crater Lake volcano), which is the aftermath of volcanic activity with gravelly soil & little in the way of soil depth/shrubbery which lends itself to cattle grazing.

The Klamath Province is a bit "richer" in soil & flora than the Mazama.

Here's a good link - you can push ctrl f & type in 'mazama' or 'klamath' to find the applicable text - http://oregonstate.edu/ornhic/ornh_plan.pdf (broken link)

It appears to be a fine place to build a ranchette. There is a mosquito issue... I went there 2 summers ago to see some land I bought in Beatty & the mosquitos were all over me in the high heat of a July wave. It was in the 100's there but I don't think it's like that all summer. Maybe an underground house is the way to go...

Here's another OSU link: Klamath Ecological Province (http://oregonstate.edu/dept/range/projects/EcologicalProvincesOfOregon/klamath.htm - broken link)

I suspect the water war there is strictly political & unfair: it would take some really attentive citizens armed with lots of law facts to fight it. It looks to me like the water rights are rationed unfairly & the Native Americans are the ones getting the shortest end of the stick in a region already naturally impoverished in so many ways due to human intervention...

The area where I bought my land is adjacent to the OCE Trail which is highlighted by Horseglade campground above Beatty. Google Horseglade or Fivemile Creek & you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck in your move to KFalls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon