Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 PM

258 posts, read 790,358 times

Advertisements

I just watched Kindergarden Cop... is Astoria as pretty as it looked on film?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Not all of kindergarten cop was filmed in Astoria. Some of it was at Ecola State Park in Cannon Beach.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:56 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
It's cute, but it's not Hollywood. It was on a rough patch when logging/fishing went down. Lately it's been better with retirees settling there and tourism. I enjoy it myself, but it does get very grey/wet/chilly. It was 62 degrees this past weekend-- rainy and overcast. We still had fun, playing golf, shopping, walking on the beach. But I don't know if I could hack it year round. Heck, even Lewis and Clark had complaints about the weather out there!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
I lived in Astoria for two years, when I first came to Oregon. It was kind of a run-down looking place, but I still loved it there. So much has changed now, with the addition of nice stores, shopping centers, and beautiful old houses which have been rehabilitated.

Astoria's always had the reputation of being a working class, poor cousin to almost every other town in Oregon. But I don't think you can beat being that close to the ocean, and the confluence of the Columbia River. It is beautiful.

Warning: It rains sideways! I worked outside, and believe me, you must have proper rain gear if you don't want to get soaked. If cold, chilled-to-the-bone kind of wet weather doesn't bother you, I'd say it's absolutely worth a visit. You will always find things to love no matter where you go.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
The city itself is, aesthetically, as pretty as it appears in the movie. It does have crazy weather since it is basically on the coast. And it is a fairly working class town (less so than many others in the state). But with all the gorgeous old homes on the hills that are overlooking the river and the Astoria-Megler Bridge, it's easy to see why it's sometimes referred to as Little San Francisco.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 9,863 times
My husband is considering a job in Astoria, OR within the next month. We would be relocating from Florida and we were wondering about the cost of rentals there and we were curious as to any other smaller size town to live in that would be within 20-30 minutes of the downtown area where he would be working. Any suggestions/ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Yes, it's as pretty as that. The weather isn't always as good as that though ...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
You will always find things to love no matter where you go.
Not necessarily... after 13 months in Houston we didn't find a darn thing to love. Everywhere else we've lived had *something* to love, but not that place.
Astoria is pretty cool, though.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 AM

2 posts, read 12,325 times
I am looking to move to Astoria from Denver Colorado and I was trying to find some apartments online but I wasn"t having the best of luck. Is there apartments in Astoria and if so can somebody help me with some names of some

Thank you!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:59 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
I just watched Kindergarden Cop... is Astoria as pretty as it looked on film?
No, and neither is Arnold Schwarzenegger. The art of "framing" in cinematography ensures that a subject is idealized and its flaws are obscured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon