Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 19,437 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to understand if Portland is so gray and rainy as I read in Internet.
It's important because I want use bike in the city

How often rain? Is it a shower or a fine mist?

Is it true that rain every day in the winter?

Thanks

Massimo - Italy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
how often? ~200 days / yr (285 days of overcast)
everyday in winter?, no, occasional dry day, usually cold and windy, between weather changes
most often a shower, or mist, not heavy rain

Use a bike with fenders/splash guards
Use rain gear
Use VERY good lighting. It is difficult for drivers to see bicycles though foggy windshields (windscreen) and through wipers and road spray.

Colorado is a great place to bicycle (full legal use of right lane) Portland drivers are not too sympathetic to sharing the roads, and they are more narrow (no 'snow shoulders')

Wash DC is another great bicycle city, as well as Madison, WI

Portland has a few nice bike routes, just be careful, and visible, and plan to get wet.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,018,375 times
Hi Maxarchitect!
Heres a terrific thread on the rain around Oregon from several of us who live here. Check it out, I think you'll get more of what youre looking for..."Perception of the Pacific Northwest" - started by Seattletony - its up in the Portland section.
actually, Portland is a terrific place for those who enjoy their bikes. Its hugely bikefriendly, was listed as one of the best cities for those who ridebikes and pedestrians in some magazine. I used to have a friend who moved down from Washugal a few years ago and he was an avid biker, he was in 7thHeaven here. Theres a good mix with everything from riding around Urban areas, to some really rough mountain trails. Many terrific stores that will cater to you and what you do as well. Ive heard of clubs for those who ride bikes, and several different activities.
You'll have days in all seasons where you'll never see a single raindrop, and then you'll turn around and in the winter, get a straight week of rain. Many people actually enjoy riding out on some of the paths/trails (paved ones Id think! lol) when its just drizzeling out. Just be real careful of cars and oil spots! Personally, I liked being out more when it was overcast, not raining. It felt good. You dont end up sweating to death! lol
You might look into the yellow pages, call some of the bike shops and get some thoughts of theirs. Where to go, what equipment you'll need, what they as fellow bike riders think of the Portland area. Best of luck to you!!!
Tiffany

Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 AM

22 posts, read 103,443 times
I lived in Eugene for 15 years and Portland is similar in terms of weather. I biked most of the time in Eugene and my best friend was my lightweight Goretex shell and rain pants. Indispensable and very comfortable.

The rain itself is rarely heavy, more like a light mist. However, be warned that what this means is that you will NOT see the sun for weeks and even months at a time.

After all those years in the wonderful town of Eugene (Portland is great, too), I am back in Arizona, the land of the sun. Truly, after a certain number of years there I had forgotten that I intrinsically have a "sunny" disposition. I came to believe that my essence as a human being was that of "melancholy". Not true! I am back in the sun and feel SO MUCH BETTER! Another way of saying this is that I am happier.

Not everyone is affected by SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder). But if you haven't spent at least a couple weeks under the gray cloud cover to see how you will react, I highly recommend doing this before making a move.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:20 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,551,957 times
Alot,it rains ALOT,but not the torrential downpours most people think,,not enough for people to stay indoors..If you can handle the grey,,you can handle the rain.I always tell visitors to come in aug/sept when the odds of nice weather are with you

Old 02-06-2007, 05:32 PM

77 posts, read 463,038 times
it hasn't rained in two weeks in Eugene.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 PM

18 posts, read 130,654 times
People in Portland don't tan, they rust! Yes, it rains as much as you hear. If you are a sunshine person, don't move there, although it is a fantastic city.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 19,580 times
Grey is good, green is good, rain is good, it's all good. Ride a bike, ride the bus, walk around, don't mind the moss. It don't matter where you go, as long as you can call it home. TA-DA.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:45 PM

193 posts, read 1,399,638 times
Beautiful Moongypsy!

I can picture myself riding my bike under a gentle mist of rain.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 AM

16 posts, read 89,627 times
The rain and overcast is non-stop during the winter. It is terrible. We are moving to AZ ASAP !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon